Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I see some success in the future:

http://www.thelocal.se/6232/20070129/

Children to be graded from seven

Published: 29th January 2007 09:48 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/6232/

Schools will soon be allowed to give pupils grades from the age of seven, Sweden's schools minister Jan Björklund has said.

Teachers are currently forbidden from grading younger pupils, but in the future the decision will be in the hands of individual municipalities and schools.

The new rule will allow teachers to class pupils' performance as "not passed" right from the start of their school careers at the age of seven.

Björklund argues in Monday's edition of Dagens Nyheter that the new rules will allow parents to get a better idea of how their children are performing. Grades make it easier for both children and parents to compare a child's performance against the school's targets, Björklund says.

I see some success in the future:

http://www.thelocal.se/6232/20070129/

Yes, I think it might work out great. But the grades themselves are silly I think:

First we had like:
A
Ab
B
Bc
C
Where A was the best.

Then it was changed to:
Where 5 was best.

Now you get:
IG - Not approved
G - Approved
VG - Well done
MVG - Very well done

I liked the numbers. To get access to certain education all your grades where added and divided. So for a certain education you might need 4.2 to get in to the program.

How does your grades work?

Yes, I think it might work out great. But the grades themselves are silly I think:

First we had like:
A
Ab
B
Bc
C
Where A was the best.

Then it was changed to:
Where 5 was best.

Now you get:
IG - Not approved
G - Approved
VG - Well done
MVG - Very well done

I liked the numbers. To get access to certain education all your grades where added and divided. So for a certain education you might need 4.2 to get in to the program.

How does your grades work?

Most parents/students are very familiar with the A-F scale. It gives the learner and parents the feedback they need to assess where the student is in comparison to the peers in class.

Most parents/students are very familiar with the A-F scale. It gives the learner and parents the feedback they need to assess where the student is in comparison to the peers in class.

A to F? So you can't have a middle-grade? That should be a spur. 1 - 5 ment 3 was average. (Also whole classes could be forced into a normal distributed curve by teachers who misunderstood the purpose - rendering comparison impossible)

But how do you sum up the grades? Are they converted in to points?

A to F? So you can't have a middle-grade? That should be a spur. 1 - 5 ment 3 was average. (Also whole classes could be forced into a normal distributed curve by teachers who misunderstood the purpose - rendering comparison impossible)

But how do you sum up the grades? Are they converted in to points?

A
B
C
D
F

variations of pluses or minuses.

My high school had a 0-6 grade scale with 0-2 being fail, 3 being a marginal pass, 4 average, 5 honors, and 6 Godlike.

Originally, IIRC, our A-F scale corresponded to a 100 percentile scale.

90-100 A Excellent/Outstanding

80-89 B Good/Very Good

70-79 C Acceptable/marginal

60-69 D Poor/barely passable

0-59 F Fail

Originally, IIRC, our A-F scale corresponded to a 100 percentile scale.

90-100 A Excellent/Outstanding

80-89 B Good/Very Good

70-79 C Acceptable/marginal

60-69 D Poor/barely passable

0-59 F Fail

It still is this in most public schools. When I have to modify some kids, I go back to this. Our system is a more difficult scale:

A+=100%
A=96-99
A-=93-95
B+=91-92
B=88-90
B-=85-87
C+=83-84
C=79-82
C-=77-78
D+=75-76
D=72-74
D-=70-71
F=0-69

It still is this in most public schools. When I have to modify some kids, I go back to this. Our system is a more difficult scale:

A+=100%
A=96-99
A-=93-95
B+=91-92
B=88-90
B-=85-87
C+=83-84
C=79-82
C-=77-78
D+=75-76
D=72-74
D-=70-71
F=0-69

LOL, I didn't want to do the +'s -'s and nothings.

I do recall seeing that altered scale at one point. As I recall, where I was, it was based on 8's.

92-100 A

84-91 B

76-83 C

68 - 75 D

0-67 F

I alwasy thought it was ripoff.:lol:

LOL, I didn't want to do the +'s -'s and nothings.

I do recall seeing that altered scale at one point. As I recall, where I was, it was based on 8's.

92-100 A

84-91 B

76-83 C

68 - 75 D

0-67 F

I alwasy thought it was ripoff.:lol:

Well as you can see, the 8's are close. It's a difficult scale. About 20% of our 8th graders normally make Presidential Awards, against public schools. Our scale versus theirs is always a bone of contention with parents. Too bad. When the kids get to the high schools, they tend to excel.

Forum List

Back