Sweden Gives Regognition To Palestinians

Alex.

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2014
"Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman of Israel said in a statement Thursday that the decision by the Swedish government to recognize a Palestinian state was unfortunate and would strengthen radical elements and Palestinian recalcitrance.

“The Swedish government must understand that relations in the Middle East are more complex than one of Ikea’s flat-pack pieces of furniture, and would do well to act with greater sensitivity and responsibility,” he said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/world/europe/sweden-recognizes-palestinian-state.html

Comparing Swedish diplomacy to a piece of Ikea furniture about sizes up the significance of this move. This can only worsen an already bad situation.

Last edited:
"Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman of Israel said in a statement Thursday that the decision by the Swedish government to recognize a Palestinian state was unfortunate and would strengthen radical elements and Palestinian recalcitrance.

“The Swedish government must understand that relations in the Middle East are more complex than one of Ikea’s flat-pack pieces of furniture, and would do well to act with greater sensitivity and responsibility,” he said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/world/europe/sweden-recognizes-palestinian-state.html

Comparing Swedish diplomacy to a piece of Ikea furniture about sizes up the significance of this move. Thjis can only worsen an already bad situation.

I don't know what difference it makes if they "recognize" a Palestinian state. I don't think it legitimizes anything.

• Banned

Comparing Swedish diplomacy to a piece of Ikea furniture about sizes up the significance of this move. Thjis can only worsen an already bad situation.

I don't know what difference it makes if they "recognize" a Palestinian state. I don't think it legitimizes anything.

Israel fears that will sway other European countries into accepting Palestine. Sweden is not relevant on the world stage. It is note worthy and joke worthy.

I once sat next to a Swede on a flight from London to NY. He was a self-important jerk as Swedes often are. So I asked him where he was from. “Stockholm," he said. “Ahhh...so you're Norwegian then," I said. He glared at me like I'd just run down his puppy with a Winnebago. We didn't speak again for the 8 hours it took to get to JFK.

I don't see a problem in recognizing Palestine as a State. They have leaders; a system of governance; local laws; an infrastructure complete with hospitals, trade centers, religious institutions, etc.; homes and businesses; etc. I don't have to like their beliefs or policies to recognize that they have a right to exist and a right to govern themselves.

I don't see a problem in recognizing Palestine as a State. They have leaders; a system of governance; local laws; an infrastructure complete with hospitals, trade centers, religious institutions, etc.; homes and businesses; etc. I don't have to like their beliefs or policies to recognize that they have a right to exist and a right to govern themselves.

I think it's that Palestinian policy of firing rockets on their neighbor's population centers, thousands of them, day after day, week after week, year after year that those gosh darned intransigent Israelis take exception to.

Last edited:
Alex -

Why is that you think Sweden is not 'relevant' on the world stage?

Can you tell us which countries of a similar size/population are more relevant?

Because I would have thought that Sweden's position within the EU was fairly influential, particularly given their history of neutrality and diplomacy. Along with Norway, they have a clear tradition of negotiating settlements internationally, and at least within the EU are respected as a calm and ofen objective voice. I'm curious as to why you don't agree with this.

I once sat next to a Swede on a flight from London to NY. He was a self-important jerk as Swedes often are. So I asked him where he was from. “Stockholm," he said. “Ahhh...so you're Norwegian then," I said. He glared at me like I'd just run down his puppy with a Winnebago. We didn't speak again for the 8 hours it took to get to JFK.

It's good to be proud of ignorance.

You didn't get it, did you? Do a lot of things rattle around in that poor empty skull of yours?

:cuckoo: He said it on purpose. I've done the same thing.

Comparing Swedish diplomacy to a piece of Ikea furniture about sizes up the significance of this move. This can only worsen an already bad situation.
Burning properties of their furniture aside, it looks hilariously like the sewedes, paying Jizyah to moslems. "If we give the shark a leg, do you think it'll leave us alone?" hehe

And the right to return to, of course!! That's the coolest (and the gayest) result of the recognition. hehehe

Alex -

Why is that you think Sweden is not 'relevant' on the world stage?

Can you tell us which countries of a similar size/population are more relevant?

Because I would have thought that Sweden's position within the EU was fairly influential, particularly given their history of neutrality and diplomacy. Along with Norway, they have a clear tradition of negotiating settlements internationally, and at least within the EU are respected as a calm and ofen objective voice. I'm curious as to why you don't agree with this.

A perfect example is this situation they do not dictate policy for their own country that have it dictated to them by Hamas. This decision negatively effects their relationship with those who do not recognize Palestine and view Hamas as a terrorist organization.

Burning properties of their furniture aside, it looks hilariously like the sewedes, paying Jizyah to moslems. "If we give the shark a leg, do you think it'll leave us alone?" hehe

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read about this decision, they entered a game where they will eventually lose their identity they are being assimilated in the Palestinian way of thinking. I like Sweden I even speak Swedish-like to my dogs, they enjoy it and know it is treat time, no wonder my dogs act jihad-like going after the morsels I give them.

I think it's that Palestinian policy of firing rockets on their neighbor's population centers, thousands of them, day after day, week after week, year after year that those gosh darned intransigent Israelis take exception to.

Whether Palestine is as guilty as Israel and the media claims they are is yet to be seen (I trust nothing that the mainstream media hurls at the TV screen) but even if they are guilty of firing rockets doesn't mean that they aren't a legitimate, self-governing nation. I'll say again -- I don't have to like Palestinian policy or its religious beliefs to recognize their right to exist as a free and independent State. I don't like the idea of Israel bombing safe zones full of women and children (if that's something they actually did) to recognize it as an independent State.

Forum List

Back