Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats

Want to know why the GOP is spiraling downwards into stupidity?

Because they reject new ideas.

Good example of older, more "experienced" people getting their butts kicked by young, open minded, free thinkers?

Computers. Ever watch people over 60 try to surf the 'net?

Then check out how a teenager does it.

Nope, Republicans are DUMBER than liberals.

You have me stumped with that analogy. Democrats get old too, not just Republicans. The reason ALL teenagers are whiz kids at computers is that they were born with one in their hands, whereas people like me remember when a "computer" was the size of a small office building, and we've had to keep up with technology moving at the speed of light instead of learning from the time we could walk how to push "send" and "delete" and watch in fascination as another picture screen dances before our eyes.

It's not about the age as much as the age identifies the behavior.

Old people tend to not want to try new things, because they become cynical and think that stuff won't work.

See Orville and Wilbur Wright for reference on that. They didn't know science, but they did make observations, and thus allowed humans to fly.

The GOP tends to not want to try new things as well......they want to maintain the status quo.

Only problem with that is, you can't get new ideas running. We should already be somewhere as far along as Brazil when it comes to renewable energy, but because of the oil companies having this country by the balls, we didn't.

It almost killed our economy.

Young people, as well as those with open minds (there are many seniors who are going back to grade school and high school by the way, they are open minded), will ALWAYS look for new ways of doing things.

Those that are too conservative, won't.

Want to know why the GOP is spiraling downwards into stupidity?

Because they reject new ideas.

Good example of older, more "experienced" people getting their butts kicked by young, open minded, free thinkers?

Computers. Ever watch people over 60 try to surf the 'net?

Then check out how a teenager does it.

Nope, Republicans are DUMBER than liberals.

You have me stumped with that analogy. Democrats get old too, not just Republicans. The reason ALL teenagers are whiz kids at computers is that they were born with one in their hands, whereas people like me remember when a "computer" was the size of a small office building, and we've had to keep up with technology moving at the speed of light instead of learning from the time we could walk how to push "send" and "delete" and watch in fascination as another picture screen dances before our eyes.

It's not about the age as much as the age identifies the behavior.

Old people tend to not want to try new things, because they become cynical and think that stuff won't work.

See Orville and Wilbur Wright for reference on that. They didn't know science, but they did make observations, and thus allowed humans to fly.

The GOP tends to not want to try new things as well......they want to maintain the status quo.

Only problem with that is, you can't get new ideas running. We should already be somewhere as far along as Brazil when it comes to renewable energy, but because of the oil companies having this country by the balls, we didn't.

It almost killed our economy.

Young people, as well as those with open minds (there are many seniors who are going back to grade school and high school by the way, they are open minded), will ALWAYS look for new ways of doing things.

Those that are too conservative, won't.

Well at least us 'old conservatives' have enough common sense and self respect to not post nonsense like this.

Where are these brilliant young people? Why aren't they more literate than us old geezers? Why are their test scores so low? Why are they still living with their parents until they are 30? Isn't the internet making them "smarter"?

Their mind are so "open" the info pours out like a sieve.

Where are these brilliant young people? Why aren't they more literate than us old geezers? Why are their test scores so low? Why are they still living with their parents until they are 30? Isn't the internet making them "smarter"?

I couldn't agree with you more on that one, Chanel. There is little, if any, personal interaction among young people these days.

THE WEEK
Health and Science•Thursday, January 21

A depressing era for teenagers

These are hard times for teenagers. A recent study of high school and college students, built on data from psychological surveys in use since 1938, has found that anxiety, depression, and other mental-health issues are far more prevalent among youth today than during the Great Depression. A team of researchers analyzed tens of thousands responses to common psychological surveys, which asked students if they felt sad, dissatisfied, worried, isolated, or otherwise mentally troubled. On average, five times as many students in 2007 reported signs of mental illness than did those in 1938. Increases in depression and hypomania—a mixture of anxiety and an unrealistic, manic form of optimism—were particularly acute.

Researchers speculate that modern society’s emphasis on wealth and external appearance places enormous pressure on young adults, who grow up believing that success is being rich, skinny, and “hot.” “We have become a culture that focuses more on material things and less on relationships,” psychologist and lead author Jean Twenge tells ABCnews.com. Other researchers suggest that overprotective parenting, which keeps kids from developing independence and coping skills, and even a lack of sleep contribute to the pandemic of mental illness. The new study helps to quantify a trend that many mental-health experts and school officials have observed anecdotally. “The next question is: What do we do about it?” Twenge says.

theweek.com/

OK, the Pubs are one question answer better than the Dems, and both scores, 6 and 5 of 12, respectively, sucks. No party or group or person has any business talking about how smart their stupidity is.

True Story from earlier this week.

I talked to a 26 year old engineer who also teaches physics part time, married with one son and generally relates more to conservatism because they say they are patriotic and insist they are fiscally conservative.

He said he couldn't believe that Republicans would elect Arnold Schwarzenegger as a "governor" because he is a dumb "actor".

I pointed out that Scott Brown was a nude centerfold, Sarah Palin a former bathing suit beauty queen and Ronald Reagan was a B movie actor and he absolutely did NOT believe it. He said he did NOT believe that Ronald Reagan was a movie actor. I had to take him to the Internet and PROVE all three. The guy was flabbergasted. So was I. How could anyone not know these things? How is it possible? Well, now I know.

Did you also explain that in the past 30 years the supposedly fiscally conservative Republican Presidents have raised our national debt out of control? And the only Democratic president during that time left us with a budget surplus?

40 years ago before Reagan came along to destroy the middle class by redistributing the wealth to the very rich with tax cuts and deficit spending and union busting, one parent could work and earn enough to have a TV, a car, a house, health insurance, a family vacation and put the kids through college.

But during the past 30 years the Republicans have destroyed the middle class.

Now we're fucked. That's why kids have to live with their parents till their 30.

Forum List

Back