Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee

When it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with Republicans and older Americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats | LiveScience

While I'm happy that the results show Republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

When it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with Republicans and older Americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

While I'm happy that the results show Republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

This is another reason why I like the recent SCOTUS decision. More and probably better political speech should help inform the electorate.

I heard a few of the ladies at work last week after the election talking. It went something like:

Lady 1: Cuz of that election we can't have that healthcare thing now.

Lady 2: What election?

Lady 1: That one where the democrat won, or the republican won, whichever the last one was? the new one isn't and now their not gonna make healthcare free, I don't think.

Lady 1 had the right idea, she was just short on details.

True Story from earlier this week.

I talked to a 26 year old engineer who also teaches physics part time, married with one son and generally relates more to conservatism because they say they are patriotic and insist they are fiscally conservative.

He said he couldn't believe that Republicans would elect Arnold Schwarzenegger as a "governor" because he is a dumb "actor".

I pointed out that Scott Brown was a nude centerfold, Sarah Palin a former bathing suit beauty queen and Ronald Reagan was a B movie actor and he absolutely did NOT believe it. He said he did NOT believe that Ronald Reagan was a movie actor. I had to take him to the Internet and PROVE all three. The guy was flabbergasted. So was I. How could anyone not know these things? How is it possible? Well, now I know.

This is another reason why I like the recent SCOTUS decision. More and probably better political speech should help inform the electorate.

I heard a few of the ladies at work last week after the election talking. It went something like:

Lady 1: Cuz of that election we can't have that healthcare thing now.

Lady 2: What election?

Lady 1: That one where the democrat won, or the republican won, whichever the last one was? the new one isn't and now their not gonna make healthcare free, I don't think.

Lady 1 had the right idea, she was just short on details.

maybe.. something needs to catch the attention of the public. Sad to think that the same people that don't know who the Senate majority leader is, vote.

survey says: Republicans know more than democrats

when it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with republicans and older americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

survey says: Republicans know more than democrats | livescience

while i'm happy that the results show republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

From the Pew survey:
....out of the 12 multiple-choice questions asked in a pew research center phone survey of more than 1,000 adults, republicans answered an average of about 6 questions correctly compared with 5 for democrats. (the survey was conducted between jan. 14 and jan. 17, and included cell phones and landlines.)

these political-party differences are partly a reflection of the demographics, with republicans tending to be older, well-educated and male – all factors associated with political and economic knowledge. Even after accounting for these factors, however, pew scientists found a gap.

But dems can't take all the blame for national ignorance. Just 2 percent of the public answered all questions correctly, while 6 percent failed to answer a single question right. On average, americans got just 5 out of 12 correct.

and...

americans grow happier as they age, surveys find. And a new pew research center survey shows the tendency is holding up as the economy tanks.

Happiness is a complex thing. Past studies have found that happiness is partly inherited, that republicans are happier than democrats, and that old men tend to be happier than old women.

And even before the economy got nasty, seniors were found to be generally happier than baby boomers.

survey says: Republicans know more than democrats

when it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with republicans and older americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

survey says: Republicans know more than democrats | livescience

while i'm happy that the results show republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

From the Pew survey:
....out of the 12 multiple-choice questions asked in a pew research center phone survey of more than 1,000 adults, republicans answered an average of about 6 questions correctly compared with 5 for democrats. (the survey was conducted between jan. 14 and jan. 17, and included cell phones and landlines.)

these political-party differences are partly a reflection of the demographics, with republicans tending to be older, well-educated and male – all factors associated with political and economic knowledge. Even after accounting for these factors, however, pew scientists found a gap.

But dems can't take all the blame for national ignorance. Just 2 percent of the public answered all questions correctly, while 6 percent failed to answer a single question right. On average, americans got just 5 out of 12 correct.

and...

americans grow happier as they age, surveys find. And a new pew research center survey shows the tendency is holding up as the economy tanks.

Happiness is a complex thing. Past studies have found that happiness is partly inherited, that republicans are happier than democrats, and that old men tend to be happier than old women.

And even before the economy got nasty, seniors were found to be generally happier than baby boomers.

I hate to break it to you, but the baby boomers ARE the seniors.

I talked to a 26 year old engineer who also teaches physics part time, married with one son and generally relates more to conservatism because they say they are patriotic and insist they are fiscally conservative.

He said he couldn't believe that Republicans would elect Arnold Schwarzenegger as a "governor" because he is a dumb "actor".

I pointed out that Scott Brown was a nude centerfold, Sarah Palin a former bathing suit beauty queen and Ronald Reagan was a B movie actor and he absolutely did NOT believe it. He said he did NOT believe that Ronald Reagan was a movie actor. I had to take him to the Internet and PROVE all three. The guy was flabbergasted. So was I. How could anyone not know these things? How is it possible? Well, now I know.

Ronald Reagan was far more than just an actor. And how is it a negative that Brown or Palin had that kind of "exposure" when they were younger? What is suggested to me by your coments is that you have negative notions about those who win in those kinds of contests and stereotype them for it, because you believe those are less than conservative standards. As far as Schwarzenegger is concerned, being an actor and a business person didn't make him a conservative, he only acted that part.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you, but the baby boomers ARE the seniors.
Not by the standard of the survey. Baby boomers are born post WWII, when the military service members returned, and 9 months after that, meaning in 2010 they are 64. They will be "seniors" when they qualify for Social Security at age 65. And 65 is the leading edge not the middle part of the cohort.

Last edited:
Earth shattering article. Pew is a wingnut outfit and there was a difference of one point.

In your partisan hackery, you seemed to have missed my main point about the OVERALL poor showing of the ELECTORATE. ( that means both parties and independents )

Quick question..........

If the GOP and the Republicans are so much smarter than the younger ones and the "liberals", then please......explain something........

Why is it that the GOP had their asses handed to them by a young liberal today?

Quick question..........

If the GOP and the Republicans are so much smarter than the younger ones and the "liberals", then please......explain something........

You been smokin too much your delusional as usual.

Quick question..........

You been smokin too much your delusional as usual.

RodISHIT, fuck you.

Watch something other than FAUX Noise you dumb fuck, and you may learn something other than rhetoric.

Who do you suppose spends more time listening to talk radio? Conservatives or liberals? Who probably spends more time watching televised news programs? I wonder which reads their daily paper more often or more thoroughly? Which one is reading the non fiction best sellers more often?

Few of these things are without bias, of course, but there is a wealth of information to be gained from all of them. So in addition to the age gap, which would also likely includes a quality of education gap, all that could be a factor re knowledge of names, places, positions, current events, etc.

The 'overheard conversation' posted earlier in this thread is soooo typical of what I have observed. Have you caught any of those impromptu 'man on the street' interviews conducted by Leno, Letterman, and sometimes political television or radio hosts? It is appalling how truly ignorant so many people actually are about current events or the most basic concepts of government and the people we elect to administer it.

And they walk and work among us.

And they vote.

I talked to a rock yesterday, it gave better answers then you do.

True story.

BTW, i doubt followers of any political party know more then the other.

kinda.... :lol:

In fact, out of the 12 multiple-choice questions asked in a Pew Research Center phone survey of more than 1,000 adults, Republicans answered an average of about 6 questions correctly compared with 5 for Democrats. (The survey was conducted between Jan. 14 and Jan. 17, and included cell phones and landlines.)

These political-party differences are partly a reflection of the demographics, with Republicans tending to be older, well-educated and male – all factors associated with political and economic knowledge. Even after accounting for these factors, however, Pew scientists found a gap.

But Dems can't take all the blame for national ignorance. Just 2 percent of the public answered all questions correctly, while 6 percent failed to answer a single question right. On average, Americans got just 5 out of 12 correct.

Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats | LiveScience)

Comments?

Its nonsense, no one party is 'better informed' then the other.

Such surveys are an extention of the us vs them mentality that so poisons our country.

Forum List

Back