Survey-Is anybody buying this market?

Is anybody buying this market?

• Yes, the market is fairly valued and the economy is strong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, things are slowing down, so I'll wait to buy more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There was an investor study done by DALBAR a couple of years back that showed the average "active" investor had "earned" a 3.49% return over the last 20 years.

Invest smart (according to your time frame, risk tolerance and long term goals), don't try to time the market, don't get emotional, dollar cost average.

Next.

No kidding, well that is pretty useless information. Considering the last 20 years the DOW is up like 400% and the NASDAQ almost 500%. So by not timing the market as you suggest, you've have essential stayed flat with inflation. Btw- what exactly does invest smart mean? Does it mean invest so you barely kept up with inflation?

NEXT
In one sentence you say the Dow is up 400% in 20 years, then in the next sentence you say that by not timing the market you have stayed flat with inflation.

Which is it?

I'm a financial advisor, CFP, ChFC, CLU. Learning how to invest wisely just ain't that tough. The internet is your friend.
I agree that learning to invest wisely isn't too tough. I'd also say that if you have been in the market, you should have far outstripped inflation.

With that being said, don't throw around your job title, "Financial Advisor" and your certifications and act like you aren't much more than a salesperson. You and I both know what that really means. You want to sound like you know what you are talking about in investing, the only certification that really lends you some weight is the CFA. All the other ones may give you some knowledge on asset management or portfolio weights, but don't really show you know how to break down and analyze the actual value of a company and, therefore, make somewhat credible investment recommendations.

There was an investor study done by DALBAR a couple of years back that showed the average "active" investor had "earned" a 3.49% return over the last 20 years.

Invest smart (according to your time frame, risk tolerance and long term goals), don't try to time the market, don't get emotional, dollar cost average.

Next.

No kidding, well that is pretty useless information. Considering the last 20 years the DOW is up like 400% and the NASDAQ almost 500%. So by not timing the market as you suggest, you've have essential stayed flat with inflation. Btw- what exactly does invest smart mean? Does it mean invest so you barely kept up with inflation?

NEXT
In one sentence you say the Dow is up 400% in 20 years, then in the next sentence you say that by not timing the market you have stayed flat with inflation.

Which is it?

I'm a financial advisor, CFP, ChFC, CLU. Learning how to invest wisely just ain't that tough. The internet is your friend.
I agree that learning to invest wisely isn't too tough. I'd also say that if you have been in the market, you should have far outstripped inflation.

With that being said, don't throw around your job title, "Financial Advisor" and your certifications and act like you aren't much more than a salesperson. You and I both know what that really means. You want to sound like you know what you are talking about in investing, the only certification that really lends you some weight is the CFA. All the other ones may give you some knowledge on asset management or portfolio weights, but don't really show you know how to break down and analyze the actual value of a company and, therefore, make somewhat credible investment recommendations.
CFP, not CFA.

You're right, it doesn't. You really shouldn't take anything I say for granted.

If I actually say something you feel is incorrect, say so. Or you can just sit back and attack out of ignorance, whichever.

Last edited:
I'm curious how investors here feel about this stock market. Personally, I think it is a ticking time bomb, and expect a minimum of 30%, but likely more like 50%, fall within months.

No sir, I feel like that's where all the inflation is appearing from that 6 trillion in QE. Buy precious metals, maybe a rental property, and think about bitcoin. I don't have a lot in bitcoin, but I've made my accounts available to be transferred to bitcoin at the drop of the hat.

I'm curious how investors here feel about this stock market. Personally, I think it is a ticking time bomb, and expect a minimum of 30%, but likely more like 50%, fall within months.

I don't. This week I've gotta reinvest some cash-out I took from a stock sale that seemed to have played out. Just musing over the best choice(s) on where to put it, right now it's just sitting cash.

Rental property, or precious metals, they aren't sexy, but if you don't trust this market pogo, that would be my suggestion

Next.

NEXT

Which is it?

CFP, not CFA.

If I actually say something you feel is incorrect, say so. Or you can just sit back and attack out of ignorance, whichever.

That seemed like a rather gratuitous assault, and I disagree. The fact that the guy has certifications and works in the investment field puts him ahead of 90% of the numbskulls on this forum.

No sir, I feel like that's where all the inflation is appearing from that 6 trillion in QE. Buy precious metals, maybe a rental property, and think about bitcoin. I don't have a lot in bitcoin, but I've made my accounts available to be transferred to bitcoin at the drop of the hat.

Yep, you and I are in agreement on that. Although I think RE could be vulnerable if the FED is forced to push rates. Bitcoin is an interesting notion. I need to look into it more. With pot legal here in Colorado, I have always wondered why the industry has not embraced it as a fiat since they can't access banking services. Right now, all the business they do is in cash, they can't accept credit cards, debits or checks.

Yep, you and I are in agreement on that. Although I think RE could be vulnerable if the FED is forced to push rates. Bitcoin is an interesting notion. I need to look into it more. With pot legal here in Colorado, I have always wondered why the industry has not embraced it as a fiat since they can't access banking services. Right now, all the business they do is in cash, they can't accept credit cards, debits or checks.

Yea definitely look into it, I don't see it as a money making investment necessarily (even though it has been steadily climbing in value), but more as a way to have control of my money, rather than a bank.

I don't. This week I've gotta reinvest some cash-out I took from a stock sale that seemed to have played out. Just musing over the best choice(s) on where to put it, right now it's just sitting cash.

Rental property, or precious metals, they aren't sexy, but if you don't trust this market pogo, that would be my suggestion

I don't distrust this market. It's just a question of where to reinvest but it will go into stocks, which I'm not heavy in anyway.

I have a rental property but really only because the housing market there is so dead.

I don't distrust this market. It's just a question of where to reinvest but it will go into stocks, which I'm not heavy in anyway.

I have a rental property but really only because the housing market there is so dead.

If you are set on putting money into this bloated market, I'd suggest avoiding the ETF's, and stick to highly managed Mutuals, perhaps mix in a hedge, they have gotten the shit kicked out of them in this exuberant market.

If you are set on putting money into this bloated market, I'd suggest avoiding the ETF's, and stick to highly managed Mutuals, perhaps mix in a hedge, they have gotten the shit kicked out of them in this exuberant market.

This isn't 'putting money in' -- this is reinvesting cash liquidated from stock I sold. Just recycling from one stock to (an)other(s).

Actually a mutual is one of the suggestions my FA gave me. The other two are Starbucks and Shell Oil.

Next.

NEXT

Which is it?

CFP, not CFA.

Right...the CFA is not the CFP I'm glad you are following. They are two different certifications, the important one, regarding investing (CFA), which you don't have. However, to be fair, to get the CFA you actually have to be involved in investing or some sort of financing activities...it is something outside the realm of sales. So, you don't have the opportunity to attain it.

I did point out something you said that was incorrect...which was that we should trust a salesperson for financial advice. That was the entire point of that post.

Next.

NEXT

Which is it?

CFP, not CFA.

Right...the CFA is not the CFP I'm glad you are following. They are two different certifications, the important one, regarding investing (CFA), which you don't have. However, to be fair, to get the CFA you actually have to be involved in investing or some sort of financing activities...it is something outside the realm of sales. So, you don't have the opportunity to attain it.

I did point out something you said that was incorrect...which was that we should trust a salesperson for financial advice. That was the entire point of that post.
Of course, I didn't say that.

Now that I know how dishonest you are, and now that I know you're so wiling to attack out of abject ignorance, there's no reason to continue.

Next.

NEXT

Which is it?

CFP, not CFA.

That seemed like a rather gratuitous assault, and I disagree. The fact that the guy has certifications and works in the investment field puts him ahead of 90% of the numbskulls on this forum.
He doesn't work in the investment field. He works in the field of sales. I interned at a a place probably similar to the one he works at in college. All it is is sales, you trying to get somebody to buy some insurance or your investment packages. They reward you for attaining certifications and, admittedly, you can rake in a lot of money if you get enough clients to run your own practice. However, it ignores the fact that the bulk of his work is done trying to get ppl to buy what he's selling. To my knowledge, a lot of them don't even run the numbers on the financial tools they are suggesting they sell...they send them off for review and relay to the client whatever investment package their analysts suggest is best. Of course, this guy's firm may operate differently from the one I interned at.

To be fair, a lot of this was my dissatisfaction with that world. However, a lot of it was based on these sales people suckering people in with certifications and claims of knowledge when the fact of the matter is that they couldn't value a company if their lives depended on it. The best thing you can ask from these guys is maybe you asset allocation percentages and what types of insurance you should buy. And that is just simply going to be based off of historical rates and what their analysts hand them. They aren't going to have a working knowledge of investments.

NEXT

Which is it?

CFP, not CFA.

He doesn't work in the investment field. He works in the field of sales. I interned at a a place probably similar to the one he works at in college. All it is is sales, you trying to get somebody to buy some insurance or your investment packages. They reward you for attaining certifications and, admittedly, you can rake in a lot of money if you get enough clients to run your own practice. However, it ignores the fact that the bulk of his work is done trying to get ppl to buy what he's selling. To my knowledge, a lot of them don't even run the numbers on the financial tools they are suggesting they sell...they send them off for review and relay to the client whatever investment package their analysts suggest is best. Of course, this guy's firm may operate differently from the one I interned at.

To be fair, a lot of this was my dissatisfaction with that world. However, a lot of it was based on these sales people suckering people in with certifications and claims of knowledge when the fact of the matter is that they couldn't value a company if their lives depended on it. The best thing you can ask from these guys is maybe you asset allocation percentages and what types of insurance you should buy. And that is just simply going to be based off of historical rates and what their analysts hand them. They aren't going to have a working knowledge of investments.
Wow, bitter. That explains this.

Haven't had to do any marketing in years, all business is referral and repeat. That's what happens when you serve your clients well, when you know what you're doing.

But now I understand the behavior. Whatever makes you feel a little better.

And gosh, I can't think of ANY other professionals who have to sell the services they perform.

Can you?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
BuckToothMoron

the three S&P indices include 1500 issues and so far as I know they all have options and are well traded because just about everybody has an ETF on these issues. I use a simple screen strategy that would result in 135 picks at the limit if I could and did take things that far but why would I do that? The big market risks are:

Trumpcare could cause mass migration of the poor to the blue wall.

Tax reform which will likely lead to migration of the wealthy to the red edge.

The ballot commission which is likely to shrink the turnout of fraudulent voters in federal elections.

In the mean time going with the most undervalued 9% of the most heavily trade issues strikes me as safe.

BuckToothMoron

the three S&P indices include 1500 issues and so far as I know they all have options and are well traded because just about everybody has an ETF on these issues. I use a simple screen strategy that would result in 135 picks at the limit if I could and did take things that far but why would I do that? The big market risks are:

The ballot commission which is likely to shrink the turnout of fraudulent voters in federal elections.

In the mean time going with the most undervalued 9% of the most heavily trade issues strikes me as safe.
BuckToothMoron

Well I hope your screen strategy works for you, but make no mistake about, when the market sells off, everything will sell off except perhaps gold stocks and other safe haven stocks.

Overall in any decent time period over say three years income producing stocks out perform growth stocks. Commodore still holds the record for fasting growing computer company ever.

New Topics

Forum List

Back