Survey for Vietnam Veterans and their Families

Mar 8, 2012
My name is Sue and my father was a Vietnam Veteran. I am doing research on how the Vietnam War affected Veterans and their families. I have created two surveys, one for the Veterans and one for their families. If you are a Vietnam Veteran or a Vietnam Vet’s family member please look over the surveys and fill out and submit if you are comfortable with the questions. Thank you for your time!

XXXXXXXX

Hey dear, this will be fun to see your results as folks chime in here. I, 59, was in the draft call up of 1970 and my number was 311 (they were drafting males up to number 175 then-- the numbering system worked in correspondence of the days of the year, 1-366, and one's birthday was assigned a date-day and that determined where you were in the draft call-up), so I was exempt. Too, I was the last surviving 'Stephens' as a male so was exempt under 'The Ryan Act'. Thus, I did not serve.

Hail to your dad and all those that did and do serve, however. Thank you and hat is tipped.

Robert

Last edited:
Granny says, "Good...
:clap2:
Veterans Affairs to get 10% hike in mental health workers
19 Apr.`12 - Amid reports of weeks elapsing before veterans are able to begin mental health treatment, the Department of Veterans Affairs announced Thursday an immediate, nearly 10% increase in mental health staffing across the country, adding 1,900 therapists and other workers.
The agency treats 1.3 million veterans for mental health problems, including nearly 400,000 who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are 10,000 new patients with post-traumatic stress disorder checking in at hospitals every three months, according to VA data . At VA facilities in the South and the Rocky Mountain region, patients can wait four or five weeks to begin therapy, data show. A USA TODAY analysis last year revealed that nearly a third of VA hospitals, mental health patients wait longer to begin treatment than the 14-day standard set by the department.

VA spokesman Josh Taylor said the decision to hire more people was partly made to reduce wait time for patients. In addition, the VA has had difficulty filling existing mental health positions, with 20% of psychiatrist positions vacant at hospitals in the Northwest, Deep South and Southern California. An investigation of mental health care wait-times by the VA Inspector General will be released Monday, according to Rep. Jeff Miller, chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee. "We have too many veterans waiting too long for care," he said.

Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., who leads the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee said the new hires were a "desperately needed step toward providing timely access to mental health care." The $172 million funding from the VA's current budget will be used to hire the additional psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, clerical staff, disability examiners and hotline operators, according to the department.

Source

My name is Sue and my father was a Vietnam Veteran. I am doing research on how the Vietnam War affected Veterans and their families. I have created two surveys, one for the Veterans and one for their families. If you are a Vietnam Veteran or a Vietnam Vet’s family member please look over the surveys and fill out and submit if you are comfortable with the questions. Thank you for your time!

XXXXXXXX

I was living in Hawaii and my boyfriend was a young Army captain. He got orders for his 2nd tour in Vietnam and proposed to me just 7 hours before leaving. We were married during his R&R, then he returned for another 6 months before we finally began our Army life together. He was active duty for 32 years.

Oh, what a great adventure it was to be an Army wife!! I wish I could go back and live those years all over again. And oh, how I adored and admired the young soldiers!

Every single time I got to a movie theater on a military installation they start with a picture of the Aemrican flag waving and the Star Spangled Banner playing. Everyone stands and the young soldiers, though they're in civilian clothes, all stand at attention with their hands cupped by their sides.

IT BRINGS A LUMP TO MY THROAT EACH TIME! No slouching, no chatting with friends, no eating popcorn and calling out for the movie to begin. Instead, standing at attention and showing respect for the American flag. IT'S A GREAT LIFE!

Forum List

Back