Survey: 85% of New College Grads Move Back in with Mom and Dad

The unemployment rate for engineering and computer occupations is rising faster than for other professionals, according to the IEEE, which says first quarter labor statistics reveal a significant increase in the jobless rates among engineers.
According to a press release from the IEEE, the unemployment rate for all engineers jumped from 2.9 percent to 3.9 percent from the last quarter of 2008 to the first quarter this year. The IEEE says the numbers grew faster when compared with the increase in unemployment from quarter to quarter for all professional workers—from three percent to 3.7 percent—over the same timeframe. And perhaps even more worrisome, the IEEE says, is the increase of the unemployment rate from 1.2 percent overall in 2007 to nearly four percent now.

Unemployment Rate for Engineers Spikes CIO.com
Government labor reports released this year, including the most recent one, present a tableau of shrinking opportunities in high-skill fields.
Job growth in fields like computer systems design and Internet publishing has been slow in the last year. Employment in areas like data processing and software publishing has actually fallen. Additionally, computer scientists, systems analysts and computer programmers all had unemployment rates of around 6 percent in the second quarter of this year.
While that might sound like a blessing compared with the rampant joblessness in manufacturing, it is still significantly higher than the unemployment rates in other white-collar professions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/business/economy/07jobs.html

Actually the avg. salary for customer service is around $15.00/hr and I have excellent benefits.

I stand corrected....

A four year degree costing over $100k yields you a $30,000 job with no future. Mom and dad....here I come

This is why people like you don't get ahead. You put up more barriers for yourself than any societal one. You tell yourself it's not possible to advance and voila you don't. The fact is that simply isn't the case. You can move up in customer service. You can become a shift manager and once you have management experience you can manage pretty much any department.

Sorry...I got a degree in Engineering and was making $30,000 25 years ago. You are wasting your time if you think you need a college education to get a customer service position. Another fine example why some people shouldn't go to college.

This is what comes from American workers competing with low cost foreign labor.

Welcome to the race to the bottom.

Once again deanie misses the whole point of the conversation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM&feature=related]YouTube - Classic Movie Line #4[/ame]

Study: 85% of College Grads Move Home to Live with Parents - TIME NewsFeed

The kids are coming home to roost.
Surprise, surprise: Thanks to a high unemployment rate for new grads, many of those with diplomas fresh off the press are making a return to Mom and Dad's place. In fact, according to a poll conducted by consulting firm Twentysomething Inc., some 85% of graduates will soon remember what Mom's cooking tastes like.
PHOTOS: See the evolution of the college dorm
Times are undeniably tough. Reports have placed the unemployment rate for the under-25 group as high as 54%. Many of these unemployed graduates are choosing to go into higher education in an attempt to wait out the job market, while others are going anywhere — and doing anything — for work. Meanwhile, moving back home helps with expenses and paying off student loans.
The outlook isn't sunshine and roses: Rick Raymond, of the College Parents of America, notes, "Graduates are not the first to be hired when the job markets begins to improve. We're seeing shocking numbers of people with undergraduates degrees who can't get work."

Brace yourself, folks. It's going to get a whole lot worse.

This is very telling. Democrats had total control of Congress both House & Senate over 4-1/2 years ago. That was before any of these students applied to college, got their student loans or began their first class. This whole time Democrats have controlled everything & these students have graduated from their liberal colleges with no ambition, no skills, no jobs & no way to pay us back. The only thing they have learned is to be a co-dependent mooch collecting food-stamps, welfare & living off of mommy & daddy.

Just moved back home about 2 months ago, graduated 5 months ago. =\

On the upside, I just got a badass job!! Woo, I'm the man! So maybe I'll move out after all.

Then again, I'm don't live in the United States, so that could be why.

On the upside, I just got a badass job!! Woo, I'm the man! So maybe I'll move out after all.

If you have a good relationship with your parents, there is no reason you shouldn't live home until you develop financial stability. Just don't soak it

If you have a good relationship with your parents, there is no reason you shouldn't live home until you develop financial stability. Just don't soak it

Yeah, that's true as well. They actually want me to stay home, but a man's gotta make his own way, ya know... And considering the geographical constraints of Costa Rica, chances are I'll be moving about a ten minute drive away anyway, and rent here is astronomically low (looking at $150-$250 a month at the very most). We'll see what happens.

But do I wish the very best of luck to my entire cohort in the United States. Keep up the good search! :lol:

Study: 85% of College Grads Move Home to Live with Parents - TIME NewsFeed

The kids are coming home to roost.
Surprise, surprise: Thanks to a high unemployment rate for new grads, many of those with diplomas fresh off the press are making a return to Mom and Dad's place. In fact, according to a poll conducted by consulting firm Twentysomething Inc., some 85% of graduates will soon remember what Mom's cooking tastes like.
PHOTOS: See the evolution of the college dorm
Times are undeniably tough. Reports have placed the unemployment rate for the under-25 group as high as 54%. Many of these unemployed graduates are choosing to go into higher education in an attempt to wait out the job market, while others are going anywhere — and doing anything — for work. Meanwhile, moving back home helps with expenses and paying off student loans.
The outlook isn't sunshine and roses: Rick Raymond, of the College Parents of America, notes, "Graduates are not the first to be hired when the job markets begins to improve. We're seeing shocking numbers of people with undergraduates degrees who can't get work."

Brace yourself, folks. It's going to get a whole lot worse.

There was a time when every man who came of age could expect to serve a couple of years as Uncle's guest. The left seems infused with a sense of patriotism lately but you can bet your ass-ets it won't mean they consider serving in the Military. Maybe that's why today's generation seem like such a bunch of snivling selfish whiners.

A Rutgers University poll finds that the most recent graduates are stuck taking lower-paying jobs that are less likely to offer health insurance.

The poll of 571 graduates of public and private four-year schools found just over half have full-time jobs. They were graduates from 2006 to 2010.

Just under half say their first jobs didn't really require bachelor's degrees and nearly half say their parents are helping them financially.

Poll Finds Recent College Grads Hit By Recession - New Jersey 101.5 FM

I bet they don't even think that "living with their parents" constitutes "helping them financially". Guess they don't teach that in college.

Massive debt, no jobs, high cost of housing

What other choice is there?

Stop 'all' the illegal and legal immigration.

Stop illegals, 'cheap-labor' legals, and employers forcing down the salaries to 'slave labor' levels.

WTF does that have to do with the financial situation of graduating college students?

Forum List

Back