Surprising Rasmussen poll, 2016: Hillary vs. GOP field

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
rasmussen-logo.gif

Paul, Carson Are Now Hillary?s Closest GOP Challengers - Rasmussen Reports?

Release date: June 23, 2014
1,000 LV, MoE = +/-3.0

Hillary Clinton (D): 46
Rand Paul (R): 39
margin: Clinton +7

Ben Carson (R): 38
margin: Clinton +8

Hillary Clinton (D): 47
Marco Rubio (R): 36
margin: Clinton +11

Hillary Clinton (D): 50
Ted Cruz (R): 37
margin: Clinton +13

Chris Christie(R): 33
margin: Clinton +14

Rick Perry (R): 36

From an earlier Rasmussen poll (03/06/2014):

Jeb Bush (R): 33

What to take away from this?​

Well, it's just one poll, and that is indeed true. So, I won't try to read the future from it, but Rasmussen is anything but a Democratic-friendly outfit.

It is also the very first Rasmussen poll to pit Clinton against a large field of candidates all at once. So, in many ways, this is like the starting-shot for 2016 for Rasmussen. We can start to build a baseline for Rasmussen based on these results as the next two years unfold.

Facts:​

Of the six results from this poll, Hillary wins every match-up, from between +7 and +14 over her prospective GOP challengers. Average: Clinton +11.17%. In two of those match-ups, she wins with an upper-single-digit margin. In the other four match-ups, she wins with landslide double-digit margins and hits the 50-mark twice. This is the first Rasmussen poll ever since the founding of the company in 2003 where I have seen values like this for a Democratic candidate.

All of the margins are outside the MoE. In fact they are outside the MoE doubled as well.

In 2008, 2010 and in 2012, Rasmussen had a provable mathematical bias of +4 to the RIGHT, not to the left, so it is entirely possible that these margins are actually underplaying how strong Clinton actually is when compared to these names. This means that for the vast majority of their end polling, their predictions were at least 4 points off. Now, whether Rasmussen is still using the same methodology as before is anyone's guess, since Rasmussen is one of the only pollsters who refuses to release internals.

Also interesting is that, for the first time I am aware, Ben Carson was polled against Hillary Clinton and he had the second strongest showing, behind Rand Paul.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, here is my analysis of the pollsters, post-2012:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: The moment of truth: how did the pollsters do?

You can see my analysis of Rasmussen there.

Of the 21 end-polls from Rasmussen, RAS was to the Right from between +2 and +10 in 15 of those end polls. It was to the Left by +1 to +6 in 5 of those polls, and absolutely nailed Pennsylvania with 0 mathematical bias. So, Rasmussen was off to the Right in 3/4 of it's end polling and the intensity of being off was much higher than for the 5 polls where it was off to the Left.

Rasmussen also miscalled 6 of the 12 battleground states. Mathematically, for all states combined, it's mathematical bias was +2.71 to the Right, but for the 12 battlegrounds, it was +4.50 to the Right. In national polling, Rasmussens final poll showed Romney 49 / Obama 48 and since Obama won by +4, this means that Rasmussen was off +5 to the Right in the national polling. No one can, with any credibility, accuse Rasmussen of having a Liberal bias in it's polling.

The point I am making here is that a +14 for Clinton over Perry, for instance, could actually be a +18 in reality.

Again, this is just one poll, but it really sticks out since it is from a very Right-Wing leaning pollster.

More updates on Rasmussen in the future...

Last edited:
  • Banned
A friendly shout out to some folks who may really enjoy the information in the OP: [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] [MENTION=45886]Mad_Cabbie[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=37250]aaronleland[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=30999]daws101[/MENTION] [MENTION=46449]Delta4Embassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION] [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION] [MENTION=20594]Mr Clean[/MENTION] [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] [MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION] [MENTION=46193]Thx[/MENTION] [MENTION=20614]candycorn[/MENTION] [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] [MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION] [MENTION=22983]Flopper[/MENTION] [MENTION=46136]dreolin[/MENTION] [MENTION=47936]AntiParty[/MENTION] [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION] [MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION] [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=48010]Machaut[/MENTION] [MENTION=48981]DiabloBlanco[/MENTION] [MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=39688]RosieS[/MENTION]

Anyone who doesn't want to be on this occasional mention list: just let me know, I will drop the name immediately. If you want on the list, let me know.

Thanks,

-Stat

PS. Please do not quote this posting, otherwise you will send out the @ list again. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this really means anything at this point.

Polls had Hillary clobbering Obama in the primary race in 2008, all the way up until they took the votes.

Hillary has got one major liability. She kind of grates on people. That's at least partially because of a little sexism we have in this society, but her voice is kind of shrill and she doesn't come off as matronly. (Something that successful female politicians need to do.)

Could she still beat the GOP Clown Car? Probably. The GOP has done little to fix the demographics that made them lose in 2012 and in some ways have made them worse. and gains in the Special Olympics Midterms are going to bolster their confidence that anti-immigration, anti-worker, anti-poor rhetoric serves them well.

But, but...

Hillary is old and has cankles....how can she possibly be preferred to the best available Republican?

Can I show you some photoshop?

• Banned
This means absolutely nothing. After November, when the candidates start declaring, the polls may have some meaning, but everybody who is the least bit interested is gonna wait to see whether or not there's gonna be a political bloodbath in November.

Non-sequitor, absolute non-sequitor.

History have proven that the results of mid-term elections, both first and second term, have absolutely no bearing on the results of the following Presidential election. Not even in the slightest.

Here, inform yourself:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/elect...pared-to-presidential-terms-1855-present.html

Furthermore, Nate Silver and a number of other statistician have mathematically proven that early polling is far more predictive than people want to admit.

This means absolutely nothing. After November, when the candidates start declaring, the polls may have some meaning, but everybody who is the least bit interested is gonna wait to see whether or not there's gonna be a political bloodbath in November.

Non-sequitor, absolute non-sequitor.

History have proven that the results of mid-term elections, both first and second term, have absolutely no bearing on the results of the following Presidential election. Not even in the slightest.

Here, inform yourself:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/elect...pared-to-presidential-terms-1855-present.html

Furthermore, Nate Silver and a number of other statistician have mathematically proven that early polling is far more predictive than people want to admit.

Yup, the GOP got clobbered in the 1986 midterms but HW Bush still won in 1988.

Hillary's question is whether she can connect with underemployed aging former union Whites in places like Ohio, Mich, Wisc .....

Imo, Rand Paul has some upside. Personally, I think he's start raving mad, but crazy like a Fox. His views on things like the Fed, gold standard and isolationism are repudiations of everything the greatest generation suffered through and persevered to create the middle class.

But, trying to make that argument today is difficult because Paul can pretty much just say "well, you say so, but that doesn't make it so." So you're left with Ben Beranke trying to do econ 101. And, it's like shooting ducks in a barrel for him to compare Nato to the neocons invasion of Iraq.

And the issues that move younger voters are equal rights for GLBT and immigration.

Rand Paul's principled stand on freedom got him a standing ovation on progressive home turf

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It's not surprising in that it's consistent with all the other polls.

I had heard that with the exception of 2000, the presumed favorite in the Democrat primary did not win the nomination in a year when the Democrat President wasn't seeking reelection.

rasmussen-logo.gif

1,000 LV, MoE = +/-3.0

Well, it's just one poll, and that is indeed true. So, I won't try to read the future from it, but Rasmussen is anything but a Democratic-friendly outfit.

It is also the very first Rasmussen poll to pit Clinton against a large field of candidates all at once. So, in many ways, this is like the starting-shot for 2016 for Rasmussen. We can start to build a baseline for Rasmussen based on these results as the next two years unfold.

Of the six results from this poll, Hillary wins every match-up, from between +7 and +14 over her prospective GOP challengers. Average: Clinton +11.17%. In two of those match-ups, she wins with an upper-single-digit margin. In the other four match-ups, she wins with landslide double-digit margins and hits the 50-mark twice. This is the first Rasmussen poll ever since the founding of the company in 2003 where I have seen values like this for a Democratic candidate.

All of the margins are outside the MoE. In fact they are outside the MoE doubled as well.

In 2008, 2010 and in 2012, Rasmussen had a provable mathematical bias of +4 to the RIGHT, not to the left, so it is entirely possible that these margins are actually underplaying how strong Clinton actually is when compared to these names. This means that for the vast majority of their end polling, their predictions were at least 4 points off. Now, whether Rasmussen is still using the same methodology as before is anyone's guess, since Rasmussen is one of the only pollsters who refuses to release internals.

Also interesting is that, for the first time I am aware, Ben Carson was polled against Hillary Clinton and he had the second strongest showing, behind Rand Paul.

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, here is my analysis of the pollsters, post-2012:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: The moment of truth: how did the pollsters do?

Of the 21 end-polls from Rasmussen, RAS was to the Right from between +2 and +10 in 15 of those end polls. It was to the Left by +1 to +6 in 5 of those polls, and absolutely nailed Pennsylvania with 0 mathematical bias. So, Rasmussen was off to the Right in 3/4 of it's end polling and the intensity of being off was much higher than for the 5 polls where it was off to the Left.

Rasmussen also miscalled 6 of the 12 battleground states. Mathematically, for all states combined, it's mathematical bias was +2.71 to the Right, but for the 12 battlegrounds, it was +4.50 to the Right. In national polling, Rasmussens final poll showed Romney 49 / Obama 48 and since Obama won by +4, this means that Rasmussen was off +5 to the Right in the national polling. No one can, with any credibility, accuse Rasmussen of having a Liberal bias in it's polling.

The point I am making here is that a +14 for Clinton over Perry, for instance, could actually be a +18 in reality.

Again, this is just one poll, but it really sticks out since it is from a very Right-Wing leaning pollster.

We will see. Right now it's very early, so these polls don't do much. Nevertheless I like the field of GOP candidates. My choices top to bottom.

(1) Herman Cain - His 999 plan is brilliant, the Chilean "Privatize" Social Security model has been proven to dramatically cut government spending (10-15% of the budget would be cut) and provide retirees 10%+ more money at retirement. His only signing into law "small" bills, like it used to be, is so common senses it hurts.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v59n3/v59n3p45.pdf

(2) Ron Paul and Ted Cruz - Tie. I like both of them and YES both would be strong candidates.

(4) Ben Carson - Yes I am sold on his.

(5) Mitch Daniels - Look what he has done in Indiana.

(6) Christie - He might be more left leaning on social issues then many like, but I am a social moderate. He is fiscal conservative, a strong personality and left and right leaning moderates like him.

I like the field!

I'm not sure if this really means anything at this point.

Polls had Hillary clobbering Obama in the primary race in 2008, all the way up until they took the votes.

Hillary has got one major liability. She kind of grates on people. That's at least partially because of a little sexism we have in this society, but her voice is kind of shrill and she doesn't come off as matronly. (Something that successful female politicians need to do.)

Could she still beat the GOP Clown Car? Probably. The GOP has done little to fix the demographics that made them lose in 2012 and in some ways have made them worse. and gains in the Special Olympics Midterms are going to bolster their confidence that anti-immigration, anti-worker, anti-poor rhetoric serves them well.

Women like her....that's a big group.

rasmussen-logo.gif

1,000 LV, MoE = +/-3.0

We will see. Right now it's very early, so these polls don't do much. Nevertheless I like the field of GOP candidates. My choices top to bottom.

(1) Herman Cain - His 999 plan is brilliant, the Chilean "Privatize" Social Security model has been proven to dramatically cut government spending (10-15% of the budget would be cut) and provide retirees 10%+ more money at retirement. His only signing into law "small" bills, like it used to be, is so common senses it hurts.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v59n3/v59n3p45.pdf

(2) Ron Paul and Ted Cruz - Tie. I like both of them and YES both would be strong candidates.

(4) Ben Carson - Yes I am sold on his.

(5) Mitch Daniels - Look what he has done in Indiana.

(6) Christie - He might be more left leaning on social issues then many like, but I am a social moderate. He is fiscal conservative, a strong personality and left and right leaning moderates like him.

I like the field!
Scott Walker. He's faced the non stop Progressive barrage and continued to move forward

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back