Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Canada may need to buy Kyoto credits

By JEFF SALLOT

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Updated at 6:22 AM EST

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Ottawa — Canada probably will have to spend money overseas to meet its own commitments under the Kyoto Protocol on climate change because incentives to Canadian enterprises may not get the job done, Industry Minister David Emerson says.

Even with federal tax incentives and other support for domestic heavy industry, Ottawa anticipates having to purchase so-called greenhouse-gas credits abroad five to seven years from now, Mr. Emerson told the House environment committee yesterday.

Asked by skeptical Conservative MPs how Canada will meet its targets, Mr. Emerson said: "International purchases may be an important part of that late in the first Kyoto period."

The Kyoto Protocol became international law in February. It requires signatory countries to cut emissions of gases associated with global warming by 2012.

Continued

The Kyoto protocol was merely a thinly disguised extortion plot. It demanded that developed nations pay third world pestholes what amounted to protection money. Third world backwaters probably pollute more than either the US or Cananda, but they don't produce greenhouse gasses because they lack the sources of those gasses. Instead they produce pollutants in the form of ash from slash and burn agriculture, they ruin what little topsoil they have through poor farming methods, they fail to treat human excrement properly, if at all, they pollute the ground with mercury in the open-pit hellholes they call gold mines. But they don't produce many greenhouse gasses - whooopeee-dooooo!

The fact that the US rejected this crap is one of the very, very few foreign policy decisions our government has made with which I can agree. I'm all for reducing pollutant levels, but I see no reason to pay the likes of Zimbabwe, Nigeria, or Ecuador for the "privelige" of exceeding some arbitrary standard.

Maybe one day you Canadians might also tell the UN to screw off. That is, assuming you can ever get control of your government again.

Merlin1047 said:
I'm all for reducing pollutant levels, but I see no reason to pay the likes of Zimbabwe, Nigeria, or Ecuador for the "privelige" of exceeding some arbitrary standard.

It's not only that, Environment Canada is coming down really hard on local mills with regard to disposal of saw dust and wood chips/shavings. I guess rotting methane producing woodchips/shavings is the real problem environmentally.

Said1 said:
It's not only that, Environment Canada is coming down really hard on local mills with regard to disposal of saw dust and wood chips/shavings. I guess rotting methane producing woodchips/shavings is the real problem environmentally.

you sure it's not moose farts ?

Forum List

Back