Surging college costs price out middle class

The vast majority of so called college degrees are not in the fields you mentioned.

I have friends that are engineers that barely make 60K a year

My friend who is an electrician made 150K last year

My buddy the auto shop owner made 200K

My friend with a Psych degree made 35K

Fast Facts

Of the 1,563,000 bachelor's degrees conferred in 2007–08, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (335,000); social sciences and history (167,000); health sciences (111,000); and education (103,000). At the master's degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of education (176,000) and business (156,000). At the doctor's degree level, the greatest number of degrees were conferred in the fields of health professions and related clinical sciences (9,900); education (8,500); engineering (8,100); biological and biomedical sciences (6,900); psychology (5,300); and physical sciences (4,800)."]Of the 1,563,000 bachelor's degrees conferred in 2007–08, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (335,000); social sciences and history (167,000); health sciences (111,000); and education (103,000). At the master's degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of education (176,000) and business (156,000). At the doctor's degree level, the greatest number of degrees were conferred in the fields of health professions and related clinical sciences (9,900); education (8,500); engineering (8,100); biological and biomedical sciences (6,900); psychology (5,300); and physical sciences (4,800).

I didn't say that people can't do well for themselves without a college degree. They have to be willing to work hard at something that people want or need and they can succeed. Social workers and teachers have college degrees and make jackshit. I know a bunch of homebuilders who made money hand over fist that are suffering right now. Life is about choices and the choices you make will determine what kind of money you make with or without a college degree. A college degree however opens doors that the lack of one never will. That being said, it is still all about the choices you make.

Not so you said

http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/171168-surging-college-costs-price-out-middle-class.html#post3752071

And i quote

Except a better job, higher pay and a better way of life as evidenced by my family and friends who chose not to go to college as opposed to those who did.

Because generally it's true. Do you honestly believe that if you were to average and adjust numbers to make all things equal in your equations that non-college educated people would make the same or more than college educated people?

I didn't say that people can't do well for themselves without a college degree. They have to be willing to work hard at something that people want or need and they can succeed. Social workers and teachers have college degrees and make jackshit. I know a bunch of homebuilders who made money hand over fist that are suffering right now. Life is about choices and the choices you make will determine what kind of money you make with or without a college degree. A college degree however opens doors that the lack of one never will. That being said, it is still all about the choices you make.

Not so you said

http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/171168-surging-college-costs-price-out-middle-class.html#post3752071

And i quote

Except a better job, higher pay and a better way of life as evidenced by my family and friends who chose not to go to college as opposed to those who did.

Because generally it's true. Do you honestly believe that if you were to average and adjust numbers to make all things equal in your equations that non-college educated people would make the same or more than college educated people?

I think the difference would not be as great as you think.

The idea that everyone needs to go to college is ludicrous. Being trained in a trade is an education. That fact is being forgotten.

The idea that everyone needs to go to college is ludicrous. Being trained in a trade is an education. That fact is being forgotten.

But there would be a difference and it would tip to the college side.

I agree about not everyone needing to go to college. We need skilled craftsmen as much as we need scientists.

Kind of along the same lines in a way. I was reading an article about not only is tuition higher making student loans harder to pay off. But College grads also can't find jobs because no one is hiring and that unemployment for this age bracket 16-24 has risen to 19.6% Meaning 1 of of every 5 grads can even find jobs.

They can find jobs.

During the past week I met a guy who got his Biology degree and another with a BA in communications. Guy with the BA Comm used the GI bill to pay for his degree.

Now they're both working in the oil field at $15/hr.:(

The days of a college degree guaranteeing a higher salary are ending for anyone not getting hired by the Federal Government. I strongly urge high school JUNIORS to enlist in the Army Reserve for three years;

Get money for college, and begin your career as a government servant.:confused:

Forgotten: UNTIL THEY GRADUATE.

What REALLY irritates the hell out of me is these kids are being given advise by public school "counsellors" that brainwash them for FOUR (4) years that they ALL should be planning to go to college. This increases their interest in participating in standardized tests, many of which are needed to get into colleges, but ONE of which is a State Test mandated by the Federal Statute (NCLB).

The schools are using the college bound tests to prepare the students for the STATE tests, whose results they depend upon to receive federal dollars for FEDERALLY MANDATED PROGRAMS!!! (mainly TITLE I, Free and Reduced Lunches):evil:

In sum, the counsellors are not nearly as concerned about the kids' futures as they are about fund-raising for the district.

Yeah. The Feds promoting "Everybody Deserves A College Education" has done to the cost of college what their "Everybody Deserves To Own A Home" policy did to the housing market.

Moron, you MUST have at least a bachelor's degree to get ANY kind of decent job. You MUST have a license to practice nursing. You MUST have a certificate to work in graphic design and most trade vocations. What do you suggest, denying the opportunity for GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT to only those who can afford college? Tell me, does it hurt to be that stupid?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back