Surgery, monday at 7:15am

jimnyc said:
I had to see the doctor 2x in the past couple of months to get an 'I & D of the pilonidal cyst'. He did an injection in what felt like the cysts itself! I'm sure it was just in the general area. That stuff works quickly as he started cutting about 1 minute after the injection and I didn't really feel anything other than a little pressure. I also slammed my finger in the car door a few years back. The blood built up in the finger nail until I couldn't stand the pain anymore. When I went to the ER to have it drained he gave me a shot of lidocaine and it was instant relief!

Your not the first who recommended the pain meds exactly 45 minutes beforehand. I've actually been doubling them up around that time. :)

I've never heard of lidocaine local anesthesia being used outside of a clinical setting before, nor by any one other than a doc or nurse practitioner. As for the pain you're having with the wound packing coming out, it's what's known as mechanical debridement. As the dressing dries out, it tends to stick to the wound bed, and any tissue adhereing to it when it is removed is pulled out with the packing. I know it doesn't help the pain, but knowing the mechanics might make it a little easier to bear. Good luck, and hang in there. As the wound heals, it'll get easier and less painful.

Bullypulpit said:
As for the pain you're having with the wound packing coming out, it's what's known as mechanical debridement. As the dressing dries out, it tends to stick to the wound bed, and any tissue adhereing to it when it is removed is pulled out with the packing. I know it doesn't help the pain, but knowing the mechanics might make it a little easier to bear. Good luck, and hang in there. As the wound heals, it'll get easier and less painful.

I bought some special dressing called 'Kaltostat'. I guess that's why this one hurts a little less than before, they are specially medicated and kept moist at all times. And it does in fact make it a bit easier when you understand. I've been doing tons of reading about this and was fully prepared going in. I spent about $200 on gauze, dressings, bandages, tape & saline.

jimnyc said:
I bought some special dressing called 'Kaltostat'. I guess that's why this one hurts a little less than before, they are specially medicated and kept moist at all times. And it does in fact make it a bit easier when you understand. I've been doing tons of reading about this and was fully prepared going in. I spent about $200 on gauze, dressings, bandages, tape & saline.

Kaltostat is good stuff. It forms a gel as it absorbes drainage from the wound bed, so it keeps the wound bed moist and prevents the packing from sticking to it. The wound bed doesn't get traumatized so much when the packing is removed so the wound tends to heal more quickly.

Bullypulpit said:
Kaltostat is good stuff. It forms a gel as it absorbes drainage from the wound bed, so it keeps the wound bed moist and prevents the packing from sticking to it. The wound bed doesn't get traumatized so much when the packing is removed so the wound tends to heal more quickly.

I'm glad you've heard of it! I was a little taken back that my surgeon never heard of it and suggested I avoid it and stick with regular gauze and saline. As you stated, these pads collect all the unwanted crap and the whole things turns into a ball of gel, and is easily removed.

Do you think it's normal that it would hurt so much today, 4 days after the surgery? Tuesday was obviously bad, but it has gotten better each day. Today seems like a setback and it's hurting like hell!

Nobody really wants to see a picture? :)

Cram the pictures into that wound! No one wants to see them! But I have to admit, your ass is just as cute now as when I changed your little diapers!

Pictures are quite unnecessary - even I'm not that morbid, and I own entire sets of serial killer tapes.. :D

Hope your ass pains you less each day. :bye1:

jimnyc said:
I'm glad you've heard of it! I was a little taken back that my surgeon never heard of it and suggested I avoid it and stick with regular gauze and saline. As you stated, these pads collect all the unwanted crap and the whole things turns into a ball of gel, and is easily removed.

Do you think it's normal that it would hurt so much today, 4 days after the surgery? Tuesday was obviously bad, but it has gotten better each day. Today seems like a setback and it's hurting like hell!

Nobody really wants to see a picture? :)

Most of the surgeons I have dealt with know quite alot about making surgical wounds and squat about healing them. There's a nursing specialty called "enterostomal therapy" these nurses know more about wound healing than most surgery departments combined.

Are you keeping on top on the pain with your pain meds? That is crucial. Take them as directed, I don't know what you're taking, but take them when you first start to feel the pain. Keep the pain under control, your body is less stressed, and you tend to heal more quickly.If your pain meds aren't keeping it under control, see about something more potent. And don't worry about addiction...Unless you have had past history of drug/alcohol abuse, it's just not an issue. Most often, post-op pain seems to get worse due to poor pain management. Unless there is some problem with the wound bed such as infection, you should be alright. Good luck, and take care.

Bullypulpit said:
Most of the surgeons I have dealt with know quite alot about making surgical wounds and squat about healing them. There's a nursing specialty called "enterostomal therapy" these nurses know more about wound healing than most surgery departments combined.

Are you keeping on top on the pain with your pain meds? That is crucial. Take them as directed, I don't know what you're taking, but take them when you first start to feel the pain. Keep the pain under control, your body is less stressed, and you tend to heal more quickly.If your pain meds aren't keeping it under control, see about something more potent. And don't worry about addiction...Unless you have had past history of drug/alcohol abuse, it's just not an issue. Most often, post-op pain seems to get worse due to poor pain management. Unless there is some problem with the wound bed such as infection, you should be alright. Good luck, and take care.

Jimmy,

I agree on the meds. Ask for, in fact demand, whatever is needed. US doctors are notorious for under-perscribing for pain. The fact is that only about 15% of the population is highly suceptible to physical addiction and if you were in this group, you'd probably know about it by now. Family history with drug addiction should let you know if you are in a high risk group. I'll assume you're not in that group.

The pain drug tree looks something like this (in increasing order, leaving out choices which have no value such as darvocet):

Aspirin/Acetominophine
Ibuprofin
codine/hydrocodone (Vicodine)
codine EX
Percocet
Dilaudid
Morphine
Duragesic (Fentanyl) patch

If you need to step up to something like Dilaudid or Morphine, addiction does become a more serious concern. I was on Dilaudid for about 6 weeks and it was noticable when the time came to reduce back to codine.

That being said, you do need to make sure that you are honest with yourself and when the pain receeds you back off the pain meds. This is not as easy to do as it sounds, you will find yourself rationalizing why you need the pain med even though you don't. You should really try to be pain-med free by the six week point (half the normal time for general addiction) if you can. But in general, if the pain med is being taken to counter actual pain, you are not that likely to become addicted even if you take it longer.

I had a pretty much unlimited script for Codine EX for over a year, and I didn't become addicted, but Codine no longer really works for me when I do need pain meds. I have to take about 4 Codine EX to get any pain relief, or at least this was the case last time I had Codine (for dental work), about 8 years ago. This does not mean that you won't become addicted, so be careful, and be honest with yourself about why you are taking such drugs - if it's not for the pain but instead for the "thirst" for the drug, don't take it.

Pain meds are an important part of recorvery, because they will allow you to rest, and rest is essential to good healing. If you fuss and respond to the itching of healing, you will heal more slowly. The main point I'm trying to make is, if you need more pain relief, demand it! It is not right you should suffer needlessly, and you will heal better if you can rest/sleep properly.

If Percocet is not doing it for you, tell your doctor. I'm sure they will be very hesitant to give you Dilaudid, but that stuff really works! A week on Dilaudid should not be an addiction problem. But beware, if you goto Dilaudid, when they back off to codine or percocet those drugs will feel like tylinol - i.e. you will think they are doing nothing.

As for the pictures, I'm interested. Why don't you update the website. I'm not squimish about such things, I've seen it all. It's just an unfortunate condition you've suffered, and I applaud you for not being ashamed to share it with us in such detail.

I hope you are doing well Jimmy, and are getting the medical care you need.

Wade.

wade said:
As for the pictures, I'm interested. Why don't you update the website. I'm not squimish about such things, I've seen it all. It's just an unfortunate condition you've suffered, and I applaud you for not being ashamed to share it with us in such detail.

Thanks for all the advice, Wade.

ok, you asked for it! Here's a pic. ** Warning, grapic wound picture **

http://www.usmessageboard.com/surgery.jpg

I expect the wound to look like this 'during' surgery, but not 5 days later! This picture was actually taken the day after the surgery, but it still pretty much looks the same except that it's no longer bleeding.

Is there to be future surgery to pull the skin back together over the wound?

I had a wound on the sole of my foot (radiation burn) that took a very long time to heal, and still occassionaly comes back. For about a year, I was seriously considering amputation.

I cannot imagine how nasty it must be to have the wound in that position. Do you like on your stomach 24/7?

wade said:
Is there to be future surgery to pull the skin back together over the wound?

I had a wound on the sole of my foot (radiation burn) that took a very long time to heal, and still occassionaly comes back. For about a year, I was seriously considering amputation.

I cannot imagine how nasty it must be to have the wound in that position. Do you like on your stomach 24/7?

No, the wound will close eventually all by itself. It's supposed to heal from the inside out. The inside bottom portion will slowly pull together as it heals working it's way up. The whole process could take up to 6 months to fully heal. Then you still have to take certain vitamins and use some other stuff on the wound to keep it from scarring.

Amputation? Yikes! Well, I'm not amputating my ass! :)

I can sit down so long as I lean forward and keep all the pressure off the tailbone area. I can lie down but only on my stomach or on my side. It still hurts to lie down, I guess the body weight shifting causes it to pull in certain directions. I wake up all the time because while sleeping I sometimes roll onto my back, waking me up in a cold sweat! I've yet to even attempt driving. It still hurts, even after taking 2 percocet within 2 hours of one another today. It's the worst when I try to stand from a sitting position. It feels like all my insides want to fall out the wound entrance! I don't know how I'm going to go back to work on monday, but I'm still just a contractor at my job and I don't want to jeapordize my position.

Yes it has to heal from the inside out so as not to trap an infection.

I had a wound of simalar size on my foot, the whole sole of the foot under the arch being open most of the way to the bone. It took a long time, but surprisingly it healed very well, except it comes back every two years or so and opens up to about 1/4th to 1/3rd it's original size.

I don't scar easily, but some people do. I hope your wound heals cleanly.

What kind of work do you do? I've done the contractor thing, and I can understand you're wanting to get back to work, but your health has to come first.

Perhaps a special chair might help. I have a buddy who had a tail bone injury who had a special chair where your weight is distributed across your thighs and lower rump, and you sit in a kind of half standing position. If you work at a desk type station this might be an option for you?

I've seen asskissers before, but none so literally.

Oh yah. Sorry about your ass jimmy!

Ok.. Fess up! Who all clicked on the link??

(It doesn't look nearly as bad as the original pics he posted of someone ELSES gaping ass...)

I didn't see this thread until now.

Glad that worked out okay for you, bud!

I had the same thing done a few years ago, that damn cyst at the base of my tailbone was excruciatingly painful off and on for a few years before I finally had it cut out.

Then it was pretty lame because you use your ass more than you think you do! I spent a great deal of time lying on my side, and that gets old too.

The only problem is that now I have a big scar there. Not that I can see it anyway.

They gave me Vicodan for the pain, they worked just fine. Lying on my side playing video games, eating vicodan and drinking beer was a pretty good time!

About fifteen years ago I had a Cervical Discectomy done on the 5th and 6th vertebrea in my neck, as they needed to go in and relieve pressure on my upper nerve group radiating out from between them. I still have some neuropathy in my right side and arm, mainly the tricep. But they gave me Percocet for that post op pain, of which I never really had any, but I took the pain pills anyway just for the buzz. They were good with beer. BUT, the biggest draw back I had taking them was they constipated me pretty bad. I still have an endless prescrip to Codine for cronic neck pain, and I notice that if I pop a couple of those from time to time, they constipate me as well, or make my stool hard as lead anyway.

I think you should wash your meds down with a few cold ones Jim, to offset the constipating effect... :D

I hope you feel better soon Bud.

naked PM'd me and said he looked at that picture of your ass. He thinks he's on your A list now... LOL! (just joking... :laugh: )

Forum List

Back