Surgery For Kidney Stones?? Help?

-=d=- said:
My wife got a call, the doctor wants to surgically remove her kidney stone; have found some resources online, but would appreicate any personal experiences you care to share.

:(

They're more common in men, I believe. Surgery is used when stones are too big to pass on their own or too big to break with the sonic ray. My dad has had surgery on both kidneys to remove stones. The scars are huge.

Ancient history. They thread a catheter into the urinary tract and use a laser to break the stones up now, unless the doctor is a luddite.

By the way, do not believe them when they describe the sensation of removing the catheter as a "slight pressure."

-=d=- said:
My wife got a call, the doctor wants to surgically remove her kidney stone; have found some resources online, but would appreicate any personal experiences you care to share.

There is a non invasive ultrasound or shockwave procedure that destroys the stone without surgery for stones smaller than one inch. There are minimally invasive procedures for large stones. How big is it?

See also:
Cash Advance | Debt Consolidation | Insurance | Free Credit Report at Kidney-Stone-Symptoms.com

KIDNEY STONE PREVENTION:

Drink a minimum of 1/3rd your body weight in ounces of pure water every day, in 4 to 6 ounce increments.

I.e. if you weigh 180 lbs, then drink a bare minimum of 60 oz a day of water. If you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages, you need to increase your water intake substantially from this minimum.

Andy

That does not prevent anything, trust me.

-=d=- said:

There is a non invasive ultrasound or shockwave procedure that destroys the stone without surgery for stones smaller than one inch. There are minimally invasive procedures for large stones. How big is it?

See also:
Cash Advance | Debt Consolidation | Insurance | Free Credit Report at Kidney-Stone-Symptoms.com

KIDNEY STONE PREVENTION:

Drink a minimum of 1/3rd your body weight in ounces of pure water every day, in 4 to 6 ounce increments.

I.e. if you weigh 180 lbs, then drink a bare minimum of 60 oz a day of water. If you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages, you need to increase your water intake substantially from this minimum.

Andy

That does not prevent anything, trust me.

You can say that again.

What surgery is he recommending? Have you tried to find an alternative like using ultrasounds to break them up?

look at the date its posted. Hopefully by now the issue has been resolved.

:lol:

What surgery is he recommending? Have you tried to find an alternative like using ultrasounds to break them up?

look at the date its posted. Hopefully by now the issue has been resolved.

:lol:

I usually check that, my bad. Who dug up the zombie?

I had kidney stones back in 1985.
The most painful thing I have ever experienced....worse than all 4 C-sections I had.
They had to do surgery to remove mine......they were rather large, and back then, I don't believe they had the laser technology and stuff they do now.
I almost died with mine.......we were lucky to get to the hospital in time.......I don't wish pain like that on anyone :-/

I read and understood all yours problem. Everyman are effected tummy fats problem. If you want your tummy at last do little please contact my link.

I've passed three kidney stones in my past. It hurts like a bitch so I have sympathy for your wife. Good luck.

Using stem cells to eliminate reliance on anti-rejection drugs...
:clap2:
Stem cells beat kidney rejection
8 March 2012 - The study involved eight patients
An injection of stem cells given alongside a kidney transplant could remove the need for a lifetime of drugs to suppress the immune system, say scientists. Early tests of the technique at US hospitals were successful in a small number of patients. The journal Science Translational Medicine reports how the majority no longer need anti-rejection medication. Researchers said it could have a "major impact" on transplant science.

One of the key problems associated with organ transplantation is the risk that the body will "recognise" the new organ as a foreign invader and attack it. To prevent this, patients take powerful drugs to suppress their immune systems, and will have to do this for life. The drugs come at a price, preventing organ rejection but increasing the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes and serious infection.

Challenges

The study, carried out at the University of Louisville and the Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, involved eight patients. Their transplant came from a live donor, who also underwent a procedure to draw stem cells, the building blocks of their immune system, from the blood. The transplant recipient's body was prepared using radiotherapy and chemotherapy to suppress their own immune system. Then the transplant went ahead, with the stem cells put into their body a couple of days later. The idea is that these will help generate a modified immune system that no longer attacks the organ or its new owner.

Although the patients started off with the same anti-rejection drugs, the aim was to reduce these slowly, hopefully withdrawing them completely over time. Five out of the eight patients involved in the trial managed to do this within a year. One of those is 47-year-old Lindsay Porter, from Chicago. She said: "I hear about the challenges recipients have to face with their medications and it is significant. "It's almost surreal when I think about it because I feel so healthy and normal."

Dr Joseph Leventhal, associate professor of surgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, said: "The preliminary results from this ongoing study are exciting and may have a major impact on organ transplantation in the future." He said that, as well as kidney patients, the technique might improve the lives of those receiving other organs. While stem cells from organ donors have been used before, this is the first time it has been used for "mismatched" transplants, in which donors and recipients do not have to be related and immunologically similar.

BBC News - Stem cells beat kidney rejection

A political forum is a bad place to go for medical advice but I heard that they have a sound device that can blast the pesky things small enough to piss out. It works better for women because they have a less painful piss path then men.

'Scar free healing' clue in mice...
:cool:
'Scar free healing' in mice may give clues to human skin repair, says study
26 September 2012 - The mouse skin's tensile strength was 20 times weaker than in other mice.
Mice with brittle skin, which tears off in order to escape predators, may offer clues to healing wounds without scarring, according to US researchers. Some African spiny mice lost up to 60% of the skin from their backs, says the study published in the journal Nature. Unlike wounds in other mammals, the skin then rapidly healed and regrew hairs rather than forming a scar. Scientists want to figure out how the healing takes place and if it could apply to people.

Salamanders, some of which can regrow entire limbs, are famed for their regenerative abilities. It has made them the focus of many researchers hoping to figure out how to produce the same effect in people. Mammals, however, have very limited ability to regrow lost organs. Normally a scar forms to seal the wound. "This study shows that mammals as a group may in fact have higher regenerative abilities then they are given credit for," said Dr Ashley Seifert from the University of Florida.

Regeneration hub

As well as rapid skin healing, the mice were also able to heal large circular holes punched in their ears - they regenerated hair follicles, sweat glands and cartilage. Tests showed the mice produced a "regeneration hub" known as a blastema in order to repair the injury. It is this bundle of stem cells that is also used by the salamander to rebuild missing body parts. Dr Seifert told the BBC: "It is thought that one of the main constraints on regenerating appendages in humans, or mammals for that fact, is the failure to form a blastema." He wants to investigate how the structure forms in these mice. Another difference was in the web of proteins that holds cells in place - the extracellular matrix.

He said: "These mice appear to deposit extracellular matrix into their wounds at a slower rate than mice, pigs or humans. "Although many scienctists are trying to speed up the healing process, our studies on spiny mice and salamanders show that slowing things down is the path towards regeneration." However, working out what is happening and then trying to transfer the findings to people is likely to be a long journey. Commenting on the study, Elly Tanaka, from the Technische University Dresden, said: "These studies suggest that the pathways leading to regeneration, at least of the skin, that are normally associated with amphibians are also accessible in mammals." She added that harnessing the process "in a controlled manner in other wound situations may help to promote scarless healing".

BBC News - 'Scar free healing' in mice may give clues to human skin repair, says study

Tests showed the mice produced a "regeneration hub" known as a blastema in order to repair the injury. It is this bundle of stem cells that is also used by the salamander to rebuild missing body parts.

This might put the whole circumcision contraversy to rest once and for all!

Forum List

Back