Surgeon hero

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
BALTIMORE, Maryland (CNN) -- Dr. Carnell Cooper, a Baltimore surgeon, is saving lives inside and outside the operating room.

Since becoming a trauma surgeon 16 years ago, he has dedicated himself to treating the many young African-American men who've been shot, stabbed or beaten, only to see them return to the ER with another severe injury just months later.

But when one of his patients was readmitted with a fatal gunshot wound to the head in 1996, it changed Cooper's life.

"The night that we pronounced that young man dead and my colleagues said there's really nothing we can do in these situations. ... I just didn't believe that," said Cooper, 54. "From that day forward, I said, 'Let's see what we can do.' "

Cooper created the Violence Intervention Program (VIP) at the Shock Trauma Unit of the University of Maryland Medical Center, the state's busiest hospital for violent injuries. It became one of the country's first hospital-based anti-violence programs.

"We approached this problem like any public health crisis, like heart disease or smoking," he said. "We tried to work on the root causes."

Surgeon heals patients and their violent ways - CNN.com

BALTIMORE, Maryland (CNN) -- Dr. Carnell Cooper, a Baltimore surgeon, is saving lives inside and outside the operating room.

Since becoming a trauma surgeon 16 years ago, he has dedicated himself to treating the many young African-American men who've been shot, stabbed or beaten, only to see them return to the ER with another severe injury just months later.

But when one of his patients was readmitted with a fatal gunshot wound to the head in 1996, it changed Cooper's life.

"The night that we pronounced that young man dead and my colleagues said there's really nothing we can do in these situations. ... I just didn't believe that," said Cooper, 54. "From that day forward, I said, 'Let's see what we can do.' "

Cooper created the Violence Intervention Program (VIP) at the Shock Trauma Unit of the University of Maryland Medical Center, the state's busiest hospital for violent injuries. It became one of the country's first hospital-based anti-violence programs.

"We approached this problem like any public health crisis, like heart disease or smoking," he said. "We tried to work on the root causes."

He isn't dedicated to treating white or hispanic or asian gunshot wound victims? , only blacks? Sounds like he should be Obama's surgeon general.

He isn't dedicated to treating white or hispanic or asian gunshot wound victims? , only blacks? Sounds like he should be Obama's surgeon general.

I can only hope that you will join that 12% unemployment rate in Michigan asap

I can only hope that you will join that 12% unemployment rate asap

Sure thing. Then you can support me.

Hey think they will blame Obama for the violence in inner cities? He is THE MAN now.

Nah, they'll blame it on Bush. Granholm would be re-elected were it not for term limits.

Last edited:

I love how when someone like you reads something like this and that is all you get out of it.:cuckoo:

Many young African-American men are violent? Who knew?

Any many old redneck white guys from backwards ass Arkansas are racist? Who knew?

There are a lot of white racists in Arkansas of the Robert C. Byrd variety. It was funny how these white Democrats couldn't bring themselves to vote for Obama. :lol: For the most part, the blacks seem to have a lock on racism (and violence) in Arkansas.

I love how when someone like you reads something like this and that is all you get out of it.:cuckoo:

Uh huh. If it had read "Surgeon dedicated to treating white men who have been victims of gun-shot wounds," how would you react?

Bravo!! Glad to see someone doing instead of just talking about it.

Who the hell cares if the people he is treating are black, white or polka dotted?

Who the hell cares if the people he is treating are black, white or polka dotted?

I think they are looking to make a point. If it was a white surgeon who was simply taking the time to help white men in need he would be strung up in a half a second and fed to the wolves.

Either way though I agree. When I read this article I could do nothing but smile. It is wonderful to hear about the loving on Earth because all too often the only real news out there is bad. This man should be considered a hero in his community and should be honored by the city and state without question.

I think they are looking to make a point. If it was a white surgeon who was simply taking the time to help white men in need he would be strung up in a half a second and fed to the wolves.

Either way though I agree. When I read this article I could do nothing but smile. It is wonderful to hear about the loving on Earth because all too often the only real news out there is bad. This man should be considered a hero in his community and should be honored by the city and state without question.

If it is helping, then all the better. I just wonder why it takes so many being shot in the first place before they will listen to reason.

Uh huh. If it had read "Surgeon dedicated to treating white men who have been victims of gun-shot wounds," how would you react?
i took it as clear sarcasm

Anybody who would quote Adolf Hitler proves 2 things. First - they're a complete fucking moron. Second - they're, for the most part, completely useless in society so you going on welfare will probably save us all. Please tell me you haven't reproduced?

Anybody who would quote Adolf Hitler proves 2 things. First - they're a complete fucking moron. Second - they're, for the most part, completely useless in society so you going on welfare will probably save us all. Please tell me you haven't reproduced?
figures a dumbass like you would miss the point of his sig

Hitler was against certain people reproducing. Are you saying you agree with him? btw, since you need it explained to you like a four-year old, the quote implies that gun control is part of the gateway to tyranny. Most people would understand that the quote does NOT imply I agree with the Nazis.

Last edited:

Hitler was against certain people reproducing. Are you saying you agree with him? btw, since you need it explained to you like a four-year old, the quote implies that gun control is part of the gateway to tyranny. Most people would understand that the quote does NOT imply I agree with the Nazis.
Touché

Forum List

Back