Supreme Court Upholds Part of Arizona Law

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Breaking news now. Arizona law provision constitutional, two others out the window.

Police can check immigration status if somebody stopped for other issue.

Other whacky Tea Party type laws are out. States Rights cuckoo crap is out

Supreme Court Upholds Key Part of Arizona Immigration Law - WSJ.com

The Supreme Court upheld a key part of Arizona's tough immigration law but struck down others as intrusions on federal sovereignty, in a ruling that gave both sides something to cheer in advance of November elections where immigration is a major issue.

The court backed a section of the Arizona state law that calls for police to check the immigration status of people they stop.

Last edited:
Arizona will have powers to tell US they have illegals in custody. That is it. No other power. Soon, a person stopped with sue over civil rights violation.

Bad law, predict Arizona will be sued and lose as soon as it starts detaining people it has decided are in the US illegally

--

The Supreme Court on Monday struck down key parts of the tough anti-illegal immigration law enacted by Arizona in 2010.

The law had made it a crime for non-citizens who are unlawfully present in the United States to work in Arizona and requires police officers to check the immigration status of any person whom they have probable cause to believe is an illegal immigrant.

The decision was a victory for President Obama who had criticized the law, saying it “threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans.” The Justice Department moved quickly in 2010 to block enforcement of the law.

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_n...own-key-parts-of-arizona-immigration-law?lite

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304898704577480392205316110.html

The Supreme Court upheld a key part of Arizona's tough immigration law but struck down others as intrusions on federal sovereignty, in a ruling that gave both sides something to cheer in advance of November elections where immigration is a major issue.

The court backed a section of the Arizona state law that calls for police to check the immigration status of people they stop.

Last edited:
Obama wins another immigration battle. Woo hoo!!!!!

And you want illegal's in America why exactly?

I don't want illegals here. I want a rational way to deal with them. I also know most who have been here for a long time will NOT be leaving.

SO what do we do? Make believe we can and will deport them all?

:cuckoo:

But the most important thing is the GOP game of killing anything that makes Obama look good is looking bad,

Woo hoo!

They can ask immigration status but can't arrest them?

They can most likely arest them and tell the Federal government that they have detained them. Then when they arrest too many legals the civil rights cases will end any policy enacted.

rationality has one another one

Obama wins another immigration battle. Woo hoo!!!!!

And you want illegal's in America why exactly?

I don't want illegals here. I want a rational way to deal with them. I also know most who have been here for a long time will NOT be leaving.

SO what do we do? Make believe we can and will deport them all?

:cuckoo:

But the most important thing is the GOP game of killing anything that makes Obama look good is looking bad,

Woo hoo!

Rational? Woo Hoo!!! Enough said.

They can most likely arest them and tell the Federal government that they have detained them. Then when they arrest too many legals the civil rights cases will end any policy enacted.

Maybe. It looks more like they can ask them but can't arrest them simply for not having their papers. If so, woot!

Maybe. It looks more like they can ask them but can't arrest them simply for not having their papers. If so, woot!

true, but they will most likely detain them and then face lawsuits. Arizona is as stupid as Florida. It's the heat ... :rofl:

oops!

Show me the damn papers stands but not a crime if not had but if you do not have them is reasonable suspicion that you are illegal and can be arrested and turned over to ICE for deportation as seeen fit. Even tho they do not have to deport, arizona should flood the department with illegals they deem suspicious.
Arizona don't need any more to get the job done. Sheriff Joe can contiune to arrest and turn over to ICE.

Last edited:

true, but they will most likely detain them and then face lawsuits. Arizona is as stupid as Florida. It's the heat ... :rofl:

oops!
alabama is worse....they've made it illegal for businesses to enter into contracts with undocumented people.

oops!
alabama is worse....they've made it illegal for businesses to enter into contracts with undocumented people.

Alabama will stay at the bottom of growth and livability. Why they like to shoot themselves in the foot is beyond me. Maybe they hate their feet as much as they hated their niggahs?

That section was one of four at issue before the high court. The others make it a crime for immigrants without work permits to seek employment; make it a crime for immigrants to fail to carry registration documents, and authorize the police to arrest any immigrant they believe has committed a deportable offense. Those other three provisions were struck down.

Another article I read said they could check the immigration status of people they arrest, not just stop.

Forum List

Back