Supreme Court says warrant necessary for phone location data in win for privacy

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday imposed limits on the ability of police to obtain cellphone data pinpointing the past location of criminal suspects in a major victory for digital privacy advocates and a setback for law enforcement authorities.

Supreme Court says Warrant Necessary for Phone Location Data in Win for Privacy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh the fake liberals are going to feel such fear , now that their gov. parents aren't following them for their security.

This is GREAT NEWS!!

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday imposed limits on the ability of police to obtain cellphone data pinpointing the past location of criminal suspects in a major victory for digital privacy advocates and a setback for law enforcement authorities.

Oh the fake liberals are going to feel such fear , now that their gov. parents aren't following them for their security.

This is GREAT NEWS!!

You assume everything will somehow reflect negatively on liberals, don't you? :p

The reporting I've seen on this seems to be pretty neutral or positive, regardless of the source. In fact, the only 'liberal' or 'conservative' leanings I've seen regarding this are the judges: the 'liberal' justices voted in favor while the 'conservative' justices voted against, with Roberts being the swing vote. :dunno:

What four retards voted against needing a warrant to obtain cell phone information by the police?

Sometimes I have to question the intelligence of some of the justices... Perhaps it's time to set a minimum and maximum age for Supreme Court justices.... 60 being the max age. Clearly some of the justices are too old to understand how technology works and the importance of security and personal freedom.

This is GREAT NEWS!!

You assume everything will somehow reflect negatively on liberals, don't you? :p

The reporting I've seen on this seems to be pretty neutral or positive, regardless of the source. In fact, the only 'liberal' or 'conservative' leanings I've seen regarding this are the judges: the 'liberal' justices voted in favor while the 'conservative' justices voted against, with Roberts being the swing vote. :dunno:
Thats what i was about to say lol. MW is raging at "liberals" yet they were the ones that made this ruling.

What four retards voted against needing a warrant to obtain cell phone information by the police?

Sometimes I have to question the intelligence of some of the justices... Perhaps it's time to set a minimum and maximum age for Supreme Court justices.... 60 being the max age. Clearly some of the justices are too old to understand how technology works and the importance of security and personal freedom.
Every republican on the court except Justice Roberts.

Its so funny when republicans rail against the left and say they are the ones for smaller govt and privacy
Then this happens LOL
Both parties are so full of shit!

• Banned

This is GREAT NEWS!!

Thats what i was about to say lol. MW is raging at "liberals" yet they were the ones that made this ruling.

Fake liberals smart ass. fake ones. Who will fear not being probed. lol

This is GREAT NEWS!!

Ruth Ginsberg is not a real liberal. She voted the correct way.

So they’ll get a warrant.

In the 5-4 ruling, the court said police generally need a court-approved warrant to get access to the data, setting a higher legal hurdle than previously existed under federal law. The court said obtaining such data without a warrant from wireless carriers, as police routinely do, amounted to an unreasonable search and seizure under the U.S. Constitution’s Fourth Amendment.

I love the media. Reuters doesn't know what it's talking about (a link with the full story in the article).

Carpenter’s case will now return to lower courts. His conviction may not be overturned because other evidence also linked him to the crimes.

If evidence was found based on cell phone tower "pings" then the evidence should be thrown out as its the fruit of the poisonous tree.

This is GREAT NEWS!!

Ruth Ginsberg is not a real liberal. She voted the correct way.

Well I wasn't talking about the " liberal Justices". I was referring to the population you know the civilians the Democrats, the peopel who are fake liberals, leftist , sheep, gov. lovers, those who love big Gov..........

Don't forget how you DON'T read the articles I post you just go as far as the headline like that one time bahah I said you didn't bother reading it. A few months ago lol you admitted it ......... What's that got to do with anything I dunno I just remembered it bahhaahha.

The cons are screaming, that the courts are taking away necessary tools of the police.

This is GREAT NEWS!!
So our gobmint can't mine our cell data freely. But the Great Douche wants to let China and Russia to do so unrestricted.
Imagine that. But Facebook, Google, Apple, and Mircosoft has full access 24/7 already.
And they are not in LE. You think this stops the CIA or DHS?

You can be sure they will still gather the information. This won't stop the bs at all.

I've only briefly perused this, but I believe the issue was about information held by a third party. Previous rulings have held that information held by a third party does not create a reasonable expectation of privacy, and the dissenting justices applied that to this case.

That is an extremely simplified (and potentially incorrect) summary, of course.

This is GREAT NEWS!!
So our gobmint can't mine our cell data freely. But the Great Douche wants to let China and Russia to do so unrestricted.
Imagine that. But Facebook, Google, Apple, and Mircosoft has full access 24/7 already.
And they are not in LE.

This has been on going since 911 stupid ass. Can't blame Trump stupid fk moron.

This is GREAT NEWS!!
And they are not in LE. You think this stops the CIA or DHS?

Try actually getting real education stupid fkr......

2012 DOUCHE TRUMP NO WHERE IN SITE IDIOT

Information culled from a 2012 grant application submitted to the Bay Area Urban Area Shield Initiative (UASI), indicated that the San Jose Police Department requested feedback from several other agencies that already use StingRays. The application noted:

Research of the [StingRay] product included testing by San Jose Police and technology and equipment feedback from the U.S. Marshals Service, (REDACTED), the Oakland Police Department, the Sacramento Sheriff's Department, the San Diego Sheriff's Department, the Los Angeles Police Department, and the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department. This technology is in use at the law enforcement agencies listed [above].

The language in San Jose’s grant application was frank in explaining how the technology would be used:

We will work with the Fusion Center to partner with San Francisco and Oakland to ensure we have the ability to cover all of the Bay Area in deploying cellphone tracking technology in any

upload_2018-6-22_13-28-39.png

Police Use “StingRay” Device to Monitor Cellphones

LEARN WHAT THE FK REALITY IS , AND WHAT YOU LIVE IN...... your fantasy world is crumbling moron.

I've only briefly perused this, but I believe the issue was about information held by a third party. Previous rulings have held that information held by a third party does not create a reasonable expectation of privacy, and the dissenting justices applied that to this case.

That is an extremely simplified (and potentially incorrect) summary, of course.

You are indeed correct, however, with the ever shifting changes to technology in our society -- the previous ruling no longer makes sense. I also believe a previous ruling had determined information collected by landline phones didn't constitute a reasonable expectation of privacy. With cell phones, you can "ping" someone's location anywhere, rather than just from one's house. I could be wrong though... There may have been other rulings since then.

This is GREAT NEWS!!
And they are not in LE.
This has been on going since 911 stupid ass. Can't blame Trump stupid fk moron.
That is a great characterization of your personality, MW.

This is a good ruling, liberals are cheering, and many cons and alt righties are having problems with the court's support of personal privacy.

The lib judges voted 4-0 to protect privacy rights, kids.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back