Supreme Court rules signatures are Public!

What's next, no more anonymous donations, especially to political campaigns and causes?

Donations to candidates may no longer be anonymous with the new rollback of campaign finance restrictions. I want the light to shine on all of that.

Lets start with the lists from Obama's fund raisers. Names and amounts please.

Federal Election Commission Home Page

On the right you'll see "2008 Presidential Elections".

Or if you want a more readable form, go to OpenSecrets.

OpenSecrets.org: Money in Politics -- See Who's Giving & Who's Getting

there is a reason thomas has never been the author for the majority on a major opinion.

epic fail

There's no need to pile on Justice Thomas. We already know what a fail he is

51fn4N72myL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Find an adult to read it to you

This was a bullshit decision. The Supreme Court voted to restrict the broadcast of the Prop 8 proceedings because the Defendants feared they would be subject to discrimination and harassment, but when people make the same argument for not publicly releasing names on petition because a group who has already stated their intentions on putting the names, along with other personal information, on a website specifically for people to call and e-mail them, the Supreme Court says there's no constitutional expectation of privacy?

Why is transparency so important to the legislative process in this way, but it's a non-issue in the judicial process? Just a crap decision.

Last edited:
Yurt has had a massive brain blip. Petitions are part of the public election process, thus no expectation of privacy is expected. Elections are private because the radicals of the left and the reactionaries of the right would attempt to corrupt the process.

Do not expect to weigh in on public affairs and hide behind the woodshed. That certainly is not American.

LMAO

so the petition should be public, but the ACTUAL vote which is truly the end result, should be private

talk about brain flip

you failed to read alito's concurrence didn't you :eusa_hand:

Yurt, your logic is a fail, of course. The fact that you are in the minority surprises no one, I am sure. An Alito's concurrence doesn't matter. Get used to it, because this will not change.

i'm truly impressed with your ability to not argue a single issue i brought up. your wonderful insulting conclusions are just brilliant. you inability to actually discuss the topic is unfortunately no surprise....

carry on

He was brilliant in Kelo!

Umm, Thomas didn't write the majority opinion in Kelo. He dissented from Kelo :lol::lol::lol:

Have any more delusions you care to share with us?

moron...he didn't say he wrote the majority opinion

have any more delusions you care to share with us?

Moron, when someone asks for a major SCOTUS ruling a judge writes they are, by definition, asking for a majority opinion because dissenting opinions do not have the force of law that the majority opinion does.

Dissenting opinions are never "major opinions", you ninny.

Yurt has had a massive brain blip. Petitions are part of the public election process, thus no expectation of privacy is expected. Elections are private because the radicals of the left and the reactionaries of the right would attempt to corrupt the process.

Do not expect to weigh in on public affairs and hide behind the woodshed. That certainly is not American.

LMAO

so the petition should be public, but the ACTUAL vote which is truly the end result, should be private

talk about brain flip

You failed to notice that petitions get voted on by the legislature, and that vote is public.

There's difference between passing laws and electing candidates. The former is public; the latter private

you're wrong, as usual...you should gain knowledge before you speak nonsense...petitions are NOT voted on by the legislature

like i said, the petition becomes a referendum which then is on the ballot...why is it the petition signatures need to be public, the ultimate VOTE, which is truly the ultimate act, private? further, once the signatures are collected, then during the referendum process is when the differing groups come out in the public square to convince people to VOTE for the petition's ideals.

To initiate a referendum, proponents must file a peti-tion with the secretary of state that contains valid signatures of reg-istered Washington voters equal to or exceeding four percent of the votes cast for the office of Governor at the last gubernatorial election.....

That same month, Protect Marriage Washington, one ofthe petitioners here, was organized as a “State Political Committee”for the purpose of collecting the petition signatures necessary to placea referendum challenging SB 5688 on the ballot. If the referendum made it onto the ballot, Protect Marriage Washington planned to en-courage voters to reject SB 5688.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/09-559.pdf

LMAO

talk about brain flip

You failed to notice that petitions get voted on by the legislature, and that vote is public.

There's difference between passing laws and electing candidates. The former is public; the latter private

you're wrong, as usual...you should gain knowledge before you speak nonsense...petitions are NOT voted on by the legislature

like i said, the petition becomes a referendum which then is on the ballot

That is what I meant. You are being pedantic here.

...why is it the petition signatures need to be public, the ultimate VOTE, which is truly the ultimate act, private?

This sentence is too grammatically flawed for me to be sure what you're asking

further, once the signatures are collected, then during the referendum process is when the differing groups come out in the public square to convince people to VOTE for the petition's ideals.

To initiate a referendum, proponents must file a peti-tion with the secretary of state that contains valid signatures of reg-istered Washington voters equal to or exceeding four percent of the votes cast for the office of Governor at the last gubernatorial election.....

Once again. the petition is part of the process of passing laws. In the US, passing laws is generally done in public. Elections are private

Yurt has simply given no logical reason to link the election process to the judicial process in order to avoid transparency in petition drives. He has given no law, no decisions, no rational logic suggested by anyone else, absolutely nothing.

His behavior is reflective of birther argumentation: make a silly assumption without any evidence, then expect everyone else to refute it with evidence.

Yurt has simply given no logical reason to link the election process to the judicial process in order to avoid transparency in petition drives. He has given no law, no decisions, no rational logic suggested by anyone else, absolutely nothing.

His behavior is reflective of birther argumentation: make a silly assumption without any evidence, then expect everyone else to refute it with evidence.

Conservatives don't have the courage of their convictions, which is why they rarely defend or support their positions

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything

you're an idiot...and i won't be bothered to try and educate you and teach you simple reading comprehension....

the VOTES at the ballot box are private, but the measely 4% of valid signatures of registered Washington voters equal to or exceeding four percent of the votes cast for the office of Governor at the last gubernatorial election...are what you deem necessary to be public....

you said the petitions were voted on by the legislature, you were flat out wrong, yet you insist on continuing in your faulty logic

you're missing the whole point, the VOTE is the ultimate act, during the referendum process is when both sides come out in the public square...

you're an idiot...and i won't be bothered to try and educate you and teach you simple reading comprehension....

the VOTES at the ballot box are private, but the measely 4% of valid signatures of registered Washington voters equal to or exceeding four percent of the votes cast for the office of Governor at the last gubernatorial election...are what you deem necessary to be public....

Yes, because elections are public while the election proces is private

you said the petitions were voted on by the legislature, you were flat out wrong, yet you insist on continuing in your faulty logic

umm, I acknowledge my phrasing was off, and explained, again, that the petition is part of the legislative process, which is public

you're missing the whole point, the VOTE is the ultimate act, during the referendum process is when both sides come out in the public square...

No, you have just completely failed to provide any evidence that the VOTE is the only public part of the legislative process because you have nothing to back your claims with.

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Forum List

Back