Supreme Court rules signatures are Public!

Doesn't matter

You signed the petition. It becomes a public document. If you are not willing to have your name associated with supporting the candidate or issue, you should not be signing it

Doesn't bother me, I have weapons so when assholes like you come around to threaten me or attack me I am prepared. There is absolutely no reason joe public needs the names EXCEPT as a tool to harass.

Are you expecting anyone to threaten or attack you? Are you expecting rightwinger to threaten or attack you?

No, the pussy is afraid of me and is now cowering under his bed clutching his "weapon", puny though it is

Sigh.

You didn't read the case or the decision.

The State had access to the petition, the issue was public disclosure.

I would be upset, but I've yet to met a Progressive/Liberal/Tool would read an attachement even when they attach the article themselves

Doesn't matter

You signed the petition. It becomes a public document. If you are not willing to have your name associated with supporting the candidate or issue, you should not be signing it

Just remember that it cuts both ways

As it should be.

Funny, one of the first things I remember seeing on Free Republic was a concerted effort by members there to seek the names of people signing an anti-war petition and then call their places of business to get them fired.

Doesn't matter

Just remember that it cuts both ways

As it should be.

Funny, one of the first things I remember seeing on Free Republic was a concerted effort by members there to seek the names of people signing an anti-war petition and then call their places of business to get them fired.

Which is why I agree with Thomas's dissent in the case.

Wanna see why?

Petition to allow men to marry farm animals

Name: Bodeca
Address: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Signature: X

They don't ask for ID when you sign a petition.

As usual, Clarence Thomas is the brightest of the nine.

Doesn't matter

really....so voting records should be public?

Move along, Yurt. That is a false analogy and not worth the time here.

how is it a false analogy? both are part of the voting process....one gets it going, the other votes in....they are virtually the same thing

i thought you were dense, but this is enlightening on how dumb you are

When you put your signature down as supporting a particular "thought" you are making it public.

Don't want your thoughts public, keep'm to yourself.

<or post them on the internet>

then you believe the ballot should be public as well....?

Of course not, because a petition is not part of the voting process. It is part of the election process.

yes....thank you, its part of the same process..you're "voting" with your sig to get something on the ballot which you then vote on....

i suggest you do yourself a favor and read alito's concurrence

Yurt has had a massive brain blip. Petitions are part of the public election process, thus no expectation of privacy is expected. Elections are private because the radicals of the left and the reactionaries of the right would attempt to corrupt the process.

Do not expect to weigh in on public affairs and hide behind the woodshed. That certainly is not American.

Doesn't matter

During the civil rights movement it was common practice to harrass, and even kill, people who signed petitions to end discrimination. Would you want your name and address available to people who were killing people who signed a petition you signed?

During the civil rights movement it was common practice to harrass, and even kill, people who signed petitions to end discrimination. Would you want your name and address available to people who were killing people who signed a petition you signed?

It's the 60's? Holy cow! I'm Marty McFly!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Cr7kxjSBs]YouTube - Marty McFly with the Starlighters "Johnny B. Goode"[/ame]

Wanna see why?

Okay, so when my name comes up and it turns out I didn't sign said petition, there is evidence they were falsifying signatures. Which is part of the entire point of making this public. Thanks for shooting yourself in the foot Frankie. :thup:

Furthermore, change the law so you have to ask for ID when they sign a petition. Wow, that was hard, huh? :rofl:

Doesn't matter

So, you are saying what was done during the civil rights era was effective?

Wanna see why?

Okay, so when my name comes up and it turns out I didn't sign said petition, there is evidence they were falsifying signatures. Which is part of the entire point of making this public. Thanks for shooting yourself in the foot Frankie. :thup:

Furthermore, change the law so you have to ask for ID when they sign a petition. Wow, that was hard, huh? :rofl:

I was asking him to clarify....and you put your finger on one of the weaknesses of his argument.

Yurt has had a massive brain blip. Petitions are part of the public election process, thus no expectation of privacy is expected. Elections are private because the radicals of the left and the reactionaries of the right would attempt to corrupt the process.

Do not expect to weigh in on public affairs and hide behind the woodshed. That certainly is not American.

LMAO

so the petition should be public, but the ACTUAL vote which is truly the end result, should be private

talk about brain flip

you failed to read alito's concurrence didn't you :eusa_hand:

LMAO

so the petition should be public, but the ACTUAL vote which is truly the end result, should be private

talk about brain flip

You failed to notice that petitions get voted on by the legislature, and that vote is public.

There's difference between passing laws and electing candidates. The former is public; the latter private

LMAO

talk about brain flip

You failed to notice that petitions get voted on by the legislature, and that vote is public.

There's difference between passing laws and electing candidates. The former is public; the latter private

Yurt is in the land of Foxfyre with no trail of bread crumbs to lead him out of it.

Doesn't matter

Keeping petitioners names secret and making sure the government did not discriminate against anyone?

It was effective, but not perfect.

LMAO

talk about brain flip

Yurt, your logic is a fail, of course. The fact that you are in the minority surprises no one, I am sure. An Alito's concurrence doesn't matter. Get used to it, because this will not change.

Keeping petitioners names secret and making sure the government did not discriminate against anyone?

It was effective, but not perfect.

Who kept these petitions? What use were they, if they were never turned over to the government?

Forum List

Back