Supreme Court Refuses To Halt Birth Control Mandate

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Supreme Court Refuses To Halt Birth Control Mandate

The Supreme Court has rejected an appeal to temporarily block the Obama administration’s contraception mandate while the courts work through the case.

In a four-page opinion issued late Wednesday, Justice Sonia Sotomayor declared that the Hobby Lobby and Mardel, two retail outlets suing to block the requirement, do not meet the high standard for emergency injunctive relief.

“Applicants do not satisfy the demanding standard for the extraordinary relief they seek,” wrote Sotomayor, the justice primarily responsible for cases in the Tenth Circuit where it’s pending. She reasoned that the plaintiffs’ right to immediate relief is not “indisputably clear” and that they cannot demonstrate the necessity of an injunction.

Hobby Lobby and Mardel charge that the administration’s rule under the Affordable Care Act that employer health plans cover female contraception — or pay fines starting in 2013 — violates their religious liberty protected by the First Amendment and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Dozens of other religious organizations are suing for the same reason.

Does Hobby Lobby give a paid maternity leave??

This Hobby Lobby asshole is as 'Christian' as Bin Laden.

Thank you, President Obama, for appointing a great justice to SCOTUS.

Hobby Lobby should start closing stores and firing people. They can go to on line sales, move distribution centers out of the US. Otherwise they are as complicit in abortion as the abortion doctors themselves. Hobby Lobby is owned by one family. What they need to do is stop this asinine idea that they owe their employees anything. The corporate enterprise is not really one big family. There is no obligation to provide jobs to people.

Hobby Lobby should start closing stores and firing people. They can go to on line sales, move distribution centers out of the US. Otherwise they are as complicit in abortion as the abortion doctors themselves. Hobby Lobby is owned by one family. What they need to do is stop this asinine idea that they owe their employees anything. The corporate enterprise is not really one big family. There is no obligation to provide jobs to people.

Yeah! Bring back slave labor! Fuck "employees", we need slaves!

How does one fire slaves?

Hyperbole much?

Why would a corporation be allowed to force their employees to follow the employer's religious belief.

Thanks for posting this, I will never shop at Hobby Lobby.

How about NO Labor, slave or otherwise. Employers generally feel a sense of obligation to their employees. It's time to give that up. It's a contract, it's an exchange. You work, I pay you. Beyond that nothing. Staying in business to provide employment is one of those anachronistic ideas whose time has come and gone. When the government uses its power to change the terms of the employment to require employers to violate their own beliefs, it's time to move on. The idea that the employer occupies some sort of paternalistic position that imposes an obligation to extend themselves beyond the needs of the employment arrangement really needs to be over. It's your employer, not your mother, not your father, not your spouse.

Why would a corporation be allowed to force their employees to follow the employer's religious belief.

Neither should the employer be forced to follow the religious beliefs imposed by the government on behalf of the employees.

That's why Hobby Lobby should look for alternatives that don't require either the company or the employees to follow any religious belief at all.

I'm going to take several boxes of condoms and leave them in the break room at my neighborhood hobby lobby.

It will be like tossing rock albums over the berlin wall.

Yeah... do that.

Michaels will take over the market and hire all those people.

FAIL.

Idiot.

This contraception debate feels like bashing my head agaisnt the wall, repeatedly.

The government regulates basic insurance coverage based on recommendations of experts, and no employer( who isn't a religious organization) should be allowed to opt out of parts of basic insurance.

that'd show us.

:cuckoo:

Why should the owners be forced to follow the lack of religion of the employes?

Why should a employer be required to provide something on the line of tooth paste and disposable diapers?

For once I agree with you.

The Hobby Lobby should move out of the US.

You think you are adding to the discussion by being fecious and making fun of Republicans.. Lets add something productive.. here ill give it a try..

We shouldnt combine healthcare with our employers, it just doesnt make any sense. We dont combine our car insurance through our employers. If we bought our own private health insurance with the money replaced in our paycheck, we would avoud these silly issues..
Was that, that hard?

And why would an employee be able to force an employer to contribute directly for something that is against theirs?? Especially when they can buy a box of condoms themselves or simply pay for the other BC methods also with their own fucking earnings??

And why would an employee be able to force an employer to contribute directly for something that is against theirs?? Especially when they can buy a box of condoms themselves or simply pay for the other BC methods also with their own fucking earnings??

why is it the employers business what an insurance company covers ALREADY as part of its coverage?

One of many reasons why employer-sponsored health insurance needs to go the way of the dodo.

Instead, ObamaCare more firmly entrenched this decrepit benefit which bends the health care cost curve up for all Americans.

Well done, dipshits. Well done.

Not paying for your birth control is no more forcing their beliefs on you than not giving you crack cocaine is.

But forcing someone to pay for something against their religious beliefs is as evil as it gets. What if the government decided to force employers to buy every employee a gun who wants one? See the problem yet?

And then some dipshit comes along and says any employer opposed to buying guns for their employees is forcing their beliefs on others.

It is amazing how whacked your perception is!

Last edited:

why is it the employers business what an insurance company covers ALREADY as part of its coverage?

It is the COMPANY that spends the manhours, overhead of HR, etc to not only research the plans, keep correspondence, etc.. but it is also the company that pays for the majority of the healthcare insurance benefit.. and if they feel that they do not want to pay for BC, then that is fine and on them.. they may not get the employees they want, but so be it.. but that right or freedom should not be taken away from them when if the individual wants BC, all they have to do is pay for it... just like I had to pay for a dental implant because it was not covered or because I had to pay for a more cosmetic procedure because of the lesser coverage option chosen by my employer... I do not get to force them to provide more coverage than they are willing to provide

Forum List

Back