Supreme Court May Rule That Cops NO LONGER NEED WARRANTS TO ENTER YOUR HOME!

If I were a justice hearing this issue I would...

• Side with the cops having more discretion & power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Side with a strict following of the constitution & prevention of possible abuse

Votes: 25 100.0%

• Total voters
I am sure those people that were killed by those cops wished they could say just what you did. they were unarmed defenseless doing nothing while cops were going around and disarming the general public.

I am not planning on basing my life on an isolated incident.
If you are intent on dying by firing on cops, be my guest.

It's not my intent to die but also it's not my intent to back down.
Sometimes.....backin'-down gives you ANOTHER-opportunity....to back-down....

Ya' wouldn't be the first dead badass......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I mean probable cause. And yes a cop can do a search if the circumstances warrant. Why would you want to make an officer fearful of entering a home in which he has a reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed, right now? Would you have supported Henry Gates answering Officer Crowley with a 12 gauge?
Reasonable suspicion is a recent, dangerous and undesirable dilution of the probable cause rule that protected us from the kind of oppression that comes from police having too much power.

Yes. I want the police to be barred from breaking into a home in which they havfe a reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed therein. A "reasonable suspicion" is a hunch. And if it happens that an occasional citizen must suffer because of that proscription then so be it. Because it's worth the price of preventing the tens of thousands of innocent citizens who will be victimized by overbearing police with "reasonable suspicions." There is a price to be paid for freedom from oppression and this is but one example of it.

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, visit the below-linked site. Give the map a few minutes to load and review the individual cases, keeping in mind that the data is a few years old and things have gotten even worse since it was put up by Cato:

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

And when that occasional citizen is your daughter and grandchildren? Should they stand outside the door while listening to them being murdered while they find a judge?

SWAT has warrants in almost every case I have seen. The fact that there are mistakes in address or intel doesn't negate their constitutional basis. Now, I will concede the argument that our military and military methods should not be used in civilian crime investigation and that the War on Drugs has been the conduit for the removal of rights in many spheres.

I see we have another easy pick up.

LOL. I did not support the Patriot act.
Defending my home? It is just a house, I have owened several in my life.
And if I have done nothig wrong I stand an excellent chance of being cleared.
That's what THEY SAY.......

Here

They will not keep me in jail, it would be cruel and unusual punishment.
Besides I do not associate with circles that would likely cause me to be arrested/charged by mistake. Plus I am well respected in my community.

Actually I have a perfectly clean record without even a moving traffic violation on my record.

And when that occasional citizen is your daughter and grandchildren? Should they stand outside the door while listening to them being murdered while they find a judge?
As I said, freedom has its price. And while I'm sure I would feel otherwise in the event of such a contingency -- at this time my answer is yes. It's a horrible prospect to consider but the alternative is equally depressing.

SWAT has warrants in almost every case I have seen.
Almost isn't good enough! The data I've shown you makes it patently clear that these goons are demonstrating casual contempt for the rights of innocent citizens.

A rare and unavoidable mistake when the reason for forced entry is substantial would be understandable and tolerable, but are you not shocked by the frequency of not only wrongful break-ins but of injuries to and occasional killing of innocent occupants? And the attitude of the perpetrators is, typically, "Oops. Wrong address. Escuse us." And for what? A few ounces of marijuana in many cases.

The fact that there are mistakes in address or intel doesn't negate their constitutional basis.
"Constitutional basis? Do you believe that the original intent of the Founders in framing the Fourth Amendment allows for this kind of mayhem on the part of our own police? This is precisely the kind of thing the British Regulars had a habit of doing -- and it served as significant provocation for the Revolution.

Now, I will concede the argument that our military and military methods should not be used in civilian crime investigation and that the War on Drugs has been the conduit for the removal of rights in many spheres.
Good. Now what must be done to put an end to this increasingly rampant abuse of police power?

LOL. I did not support the Patriot act.
Defending my home? It is just a house, I have owened several in my life.
And if I have done nothig wrong I stand an excellent chance of being cleared.
That's what THEY SAY.......

Here

They will not keep me in jail, it would be cruel and unusual punishment.
Besides I do not associate with circles that would likely cause me to be arrested/charged by mistake. Plus I am well respected in my community.

Actually I have a perfectly clean record without even a moving traffic violation on my record.

likewise.

I recall the left wing, encouraged by the left wing media, going nuts at the thought of US intelligence evesdropping on selected international calls without a warrant. It was during the Bush administration. The same lefties in the media ignore real threats to civil liberties during a radical left wing administration. Imagine what will happen if the Obama administration starts kicking in the doors of people who don't purchase their own medical insurance.
Yes and the same thing applies to the right wingers that supported the Partiot Act and subsequent republican controlled congressional "security" actions to keep us safe.

Now they whine when a Dem is president.

Damned blind partisan hacks.

And yet How many times was the patriot act renewed from 2006 to 2010? You remember when the DEMOCRATS were completely in control?

I recall the left wing, encouraged by the left wing media, going nuts at the thought of US intelligence evesdropping on selected international calls without a warrant. It was during the Bush administration. The same lefties in the media ignore real threats to civil liberties during a radical left wing administration. Imagine what will happen if the Obama administration starts kicking in the doors of people who don't purchase their own medical insurance.
Yes and the same thing applies to the right wingers that supported the Partiot Act and subsequent republican controlled congressional "security" actions to keep us safe.

Yes the dems suck too, but that does not excuse the repubs from sucking.

And yet How many times was the patriot act renewed from 2006 to 2010? You remember when the DEMOCRATS were completely in control?

I have kept saying that this is a third Bush term.

The 4th amendment has already been whittled down to practically nothing by the SCOTUS.

If you're not well off, you really basically have very little protection from unreasonable search and siezure.

Oh, in theory you have rights, but defending those rights usually takes more money than most people really have.

I had an excellent 4th amendment case in the case of the cops inviding my home a few years back.

My lawyers told me, I'd prably have a good shot at winning, but it would take about $20,000 to fight it.

So really...do I actually have that protection?

In theory I do, but de facto?

No, I really don't

care to share?....did the police find what they were looking for? did they arrive at your home because another citizen called them to complain about you?
I must question your version of being "invaded"....
In this day of electronic wizardry we can in an instant make a digital motion picture record of anything. Including police activity. The police know this and are being very careful to NOT violate the rights of the people.
so what was your beef?
BTW, do you not recognize an obvious message by the attorney you described above? He wanted $20 because he didn't want the case. You should have called a civil rights advocacy group. If they thought you had a case, they would have done it pro bono.
These attorneys do not do trials. They do causes. Sheesh.

[...]I must question your version of being "invaded"....
In this day of electronic wizardry we can in an instant make a digital motion picture record of anything. Including police activity. The police know this and are being very careful to NOT violate the rights of the people.[...]
You are quite mistaken. If you don't think so, do a Google search with keywords Wrongful Police Raids On Private Homes Is Increasing.

And if you haven't yet visited this site I suggest you do:
Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

Yes the dems suck too, but that does not excuse the repubs from sucking.

So the Democrats that approved the Patriot Act from 2006 to 2010 were all right wingers?

So the Democrats that approved the Patriot Act from 2006 to 2010 were all right wingers?

Sarge sir when are you going to concede everything will always be the republicans s fault? No matter that the deomcrats have controlled congress in at least one of the chambers and also the whole government at times for 60 years since 1946? :lol:

I know our govt. wants us to be scared that there are thousands of bogeymen in turbans hiding behind every corner and rock so they can justify their asinine spending and militarization of our local police forces but all this govt. really seems to be scaring me with is the rate at which they are capable of trampling the constitution to tatters...

I wonder if I will tell stories to my future children about what America used to be like before it became AmeriKa?

Who Needs Search Warrants? Just Follow Your Nose! by C.J. Maloney

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us/13scotus.html?_r=2

Uber simplified short summary: Supreme court is hearing arguments on the ability of cops to barge in your home if they think they smell something that might be illegal or hear something that might sound like a crime might be occurring...

I'd be OK with this IF I could trust every cop to be completely honest about this. But I think that's unrealistic so it's a bad idea IMO.

Forum List

Back