Supreme Court Doesnt Care if Unlimited Funds Corrupt Politicians

The result of their decision is that free speech is still allowed and americans are still easily led idiots.

I notice you never address the topic of how this is good for democracy. You just defend it without knowing why or caring of the result.

So take the money out of politics. Guess what, americans will still be easily led morons who continuously vote for corrupt assholes, all in the name of beating the opposition.

True, but not the point

We, the people, are the problem. Americans need to shut the fuck for once and take a good hard look in the mirror.

True, but not the point

"Have I voted for people who I knew took money from big business"

True but every pol does it, thats the problem

"Have I voted for people who are in-step partisan hacks"

Geez, the repubs wouldnt have anyone to vote for. Everyone knows Dems are good at forming circular firing squads...but not the point

"Have I voted for someone that I didn't like, but wanted to beat the opposition"

See post above, not the point

"Have I voted for someone based off of one minute commercials"

No matter who you ask this question too, every one of them will say no. No one admits to being influenced not even the easily influenced. Not the point

"Have I voted for someone based off of what they said now, even though it flies in the face of what they've said and done in the past"

True, but not the point

Our government, as corrupt, dysfunctional, and divided as it is, is exactly what "we the people" have been voting for. We could easily and simply vote for people who don't take money from big business, but we won't because we care more about winning and beating the opposition party. Buyers regret doesn't mean shit if you keep what you regret.

I dont think there is ONE person who runs for office that does not take money from big business. So you are right, people should vote for imaginary guys.

Quote: Originally Posted by occupied
Republicans like the idea of living in a plutocracy. Not even surprised enough to get outraged anymore.

It's preferable to being ruled by the bottom 51% of the population.

AND the award for the most jaw-droppingly IGNORANT thing I think I've ever seen on this board goes to that little sentence above. Wow, just... wow.

It's not so much ignorant as knowingly unashamedly fascist.

True. And it is remarkably telling. The authoritarianism of the right is clear for all to see.

Here are a few thoughts about campaign finance reform:

Limit the the amount any candidate can spend on their campaign to the total amount they will earn doing the job while if office. For instance: the term of office is four years, annual salary is $10,000. Total permissible campaign spending: $40,000.

All donations are limited to individuals. While corporate or other group entities (unions and political parties) are comprised of individuals, they are not individual by nature and are therefor prohibited from contributing to any campaign. There should be no limit on the amount an individual can donate, as long as the candidate has not yet collected his/her limit (see above).

All individual donations can only come from the specific geographic area that the candidate will represent. For instance: Mary Jane and Charlie Mack are running to represent District 6 in the AK Senate. Contributions for either candidate can only come for bona fide residents of District 6. This applies to all candidates running for any public office, be it local dog catcher or POTUS.

The problem inherent in any type of reform, though, is that the proverbial foxes guard the hen house. How do we get those who profit the most from this graft and corruption to change the laws so that it will be prevented? All three branches of our government are rotten to the core. They are all three in collusion to perpetrate the crimes they commit against the very people they should serve. Daunted by a housecleaning task to rival the Augean stables, we the people allow it to continue.

The regulatory edifice needed for the above would be invalidated by the courts per Citizens United.

New Topics

Forum List

Back