Supreme Court Denies Freedom of Association

I'll bet muslims can still have muslim only groups .
Even though Islam calls for the death of all non muslims or maybe because of that.

And you would be OK with your tax dollars funding such a group at the University?

Yes, I would. I would support Jewish groups, Islamic groups, homosexual groups and just about any group of people involved in legal activity to associate with whomever they want. Curvelight made some good points above.

I would not care to be a part of any of those clubs, but I have no problem with them existing. Since I am certain there are probably some clubs that I might favor that they would take objection to, I would call it even.

As a private organization theyre free to choose who they want to admit and nobody is denying them the right to do such. However, a official campus organization that recieves school financing and benefits should have to meet all the antidiscrimination requirements of the school, especially since part of the "activities fee" that every college charges their students would be used to fund the group. So if allowed on campus, essentially, a gay student would be paying for the activities of a organization that wouldnt allow them admittance or a right to vote in the organization.

I agree they can create a club that does not receive funding.

However, I think the whining that such a club won't allow them admittance (and I would question if they are interested in participating in or disrupting meetings) is showing immaturity. I would welcome them to start a club and open access to Christians if they want to associate with Christians.

Immie

How about the fact that the policy was clearly discriminatory in that the only group ever denied funding under the policy was the Christian group that was actually open to homosexuals, as long as they accepted the premise that unrepentant homosexuality is a sin. Why don't you go to that school and start a PETA group so I can come in and show crushing videos while you are trying to have your meetings?

How do you know that?

Did any other groups prohibit membership?

Btw - it is still discrimination.

It's like saying a black organization will only allow whites if they curl their hair and paint their faces black.

How do I know that? I can read, when you learn please come back and we will have a discussion based on facts and not screaming and crying. What I said was pulled directly from the opinions.

If they get funding from the school, then the school can set the rules as to who can and cannot join. Pretty simple really.
Yep. It's kind of frightening that these "conservatives" that pretend to care about the constitution actually care nothing about it at all.

Even worse that some of them are on the Supreme Court.

How about the fact that the policy was clearly discriminatory in that the only group ever denied funding under the policy was the Christian group that was actually open to homosexuals, as long as they accepted the premise that unrepentant homosexuality is a sin. Why don't you go to that school and start a PETA group so I can come in and show crushing videos while you are trying to have your meetings?

How do you know that?

It's like saying a black organization will only allow whites if they curl their hair and paint their faces black.

How do I know that? I can read, when you learn please come back and we will have a discussion based on facts and not screaming and crying. What I said was pulled directly from the opinions.

Hmm...who's screaming and crying?

Did any of the other groups prohibit, limit or ban any groups from membership? Looking at the charters of several on the list posted earlier it does not appear so.

If all of the other 60 student groups can comply with University requirements, are you suggesting that the Christian group should have special treatment?

I'm aware of the bullshit ruling. What I'm asking is this:

Since students are free to create their own groups why should the creation and implementation of those groups be hindered and controlled on the sole basis some fellow students are offended or cannot join? Christians who are not bigots are free to create their own group that welcomes gays and the existence of a Christian group that excludes gays cannot stop that.

I guess I'm really disgusted that on State funded college campuses the ideas of exploration, unification based on peer views, and implementation of the Constitution is stamped down for no logical reason. For many students it is their first experiences as an adult and with all the flag waving eroticism over our "Freedoms" the first thing many students learn is the Constitution is just an idea and not an actual lifestyle.

If a school wishes to lend its name to these organizations it has the right to establish standards and requirements that the groups must adhere to. There is no constitutional or first amendment violation to this because nobody is denying these groups the right to exist, the school is choosing not to recognize them because they fail to adhere to its standards.

"Lend its name?" Just so we are clear, we are talking about tuition-paying, class-attending students, correct?

The school is violating the Constitution by saying "Student groups have free speech and assoiciation of what we approve of."

Giving funding to one group and denying funding to a different group on the grounds of not liking their politics is discrimination.

Its not "denying funding to a different group on the grounds of not liking their politics" it is denying funding because they fail to meet the colleges anti-discrimination policy and would deny other tuition-paying, class-attending students the ability to join or vote in the student organization.

You can have your opinion about the policy but its just that, an opinion. The opinion of SCOTUS however is the correct interpretation of law. And if the students of the school do not like the policy they can... go to another school where the policy doesnt exist. Yeah economic freedom.

If they get funding from the school, then the school can set the rules as to who can and cannot join. Pretty simple really.
Yep. It's kind of frightening that these "conservatives" that pretend to care about the constitution actually care nothing about it at all.

What are you talking about? You wouldn't understand the COTUS if it bit you in the ass.

They can always choose not except funding from student fees and associate freely with only those they wish too. Sounds pretty simple.

Not so.

The group could not receive 'recognition' as a campus club without acquiescing to the politically correct straight jacket...

"The Supreme Court ruled today, 5-to-4, that public colleges and universities may require religious organizations seeking recognition or funds as campus groups to comply with anti-bias rules."
Sign In

Oh no you mean they actually have standards on who they'll give free funding to. That's so horrible of them.

We need to force them to give out money to anyone even if the school doesn't like them and if they don't that violates our rights to their money.
</sarcasm>

What are you talking about? You wouldn't understand the COTUS if it bit you in the ass.

You are confusing COITUS with COTUS.

You are confusing COITUS with COTUS.

Ugh, coitus and ravis, two words I had preferred to NEVER see together in a sentence.

They can always choose not except funding from student fees and associate freely with only those they wish too. Sounds pretty simple.

Not so.

The group could not receive 'recognition' as a campus club without acquiescing to the politically correct straight jacket...

"The Supreme Court ruled today, 5-to-4, that public colleges and universities may require religious organizations seeking recognition or funds as campus groups to comply with anti-bias rules."
Sign In

Oh no you mean they actually have standards on who they'll give free funding to. That's so horrible of them.

We need to force them to give out money to anyone even if the school doesn't like them and if they don't that violates our rights to their money.
</sarcasm>
I have a feeling PC would take the exact opposite view if this were a Muslim group.

How do you know that?

Hmm...who's screaming and crying?

Did any of the other groups prohibit, limit or ban any groups from membership? Looking at the charters of several on the list posted earlier it does not appear so.

If all of the other 60 student groups can comply with University requirements, are you suggesting that the Christian group should have special treatment?

Not at all, I celebrate the fact that KKK members can join the NAACP campus groups and disrupt the meetings. More diversity is the only possible answer to racism.

It just occurred to me that with this new ruling, no sorority will be able to deny my admission based on my sex. HELL YEAH

It just occurred to me that with this new ruling, no sorority will be able to deny my admission based on my sex. HELL YEAH

There you go, celebrate diversity and take advantage of the Left's inability to consider consequences.

That settles it, I'm going back to school.

Oh wait... I don't think my wife is going to put up with me joining a Sorority. :sad:

Immie

That settles it, I'm going back to school.

Oh wait... I don't think my wife is going to put up with me joining a Sorority. :sad:

Immie

My wife either, but when I sue for big bank when they tell me to get the fuck out.............

Fraternities and sororities, generally, arent the same things as student organizations. I know at my college, we had an agreement with the school to exist on the campus and to be in good standing with the college as long as we maintained a certain GPA, community service, philanthropy, and participated in activities on campus. However, we did not receive funding from the school.

Fraternities and sororities, generally, arent the same things as student organizations. I know at my college, we had an agreement with the school to exist on the campus and to be in good standing with the college as long as we maintained a certain GPA, community service, philanthropy, and participated in activities on campus. However, we did not receive funding from the school.

You just had to go spoil the fun, didn't you?

Immie

Who asked for your reality , dickhead :lol:

Not so.

Sign In

</sarcasm>
I have a feeling PC would take the exact opposite view if this were a Muslim group.

Me too.

Does she not understand the idea of a contract or does she think it's OK for conservatives to play by different rules and ignore them whenever they want?

Perhaps she just feels they're entitled to the public money, which seems pretty un-capitalist to me.

Not so.

Sign In

</sarcasm>

"I have a feeling PC would take the exact opposite view if this were a Muslim group."

You should try harder to use judgement, rather than personal feeling...

but then, that is the difference between liberals and conservatives.

Forum List

Back