Supreme Court Denies Freedom of Association

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court seemed to split sharply yesterday on whether a law school can deny recognition to a Christian student group that will not let gays join, a case that could determine whether nondiscrimination policies trump the rights of private organizations to determine who can — and cannot — belong.

Supreme Court justices split over Christian campus club denied recognition because it bars gays - The Boston Globe

This decision seems counterintuitive to me.

The group has a charter based on what they see as morality, and a specific value system, but the court decides that they must accept all applicants.

"Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote in dissent that the majority ruling amounted to "no freedom for expression that offends prevailing standards of political correctness in our country's institutions of higher learning."

Alito, joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas, noted that Hastings has more than 60 registered student groups and that in its entire history has denied registration to "exactly one: the Christian Legal Society." Alito said the majority gave public educational institutions "a handy weapon for suppressing the speech of unpopular groups."

Hastings Dean Leo Martinez, who was the defendant in the case, cheered the high court's decision.

"The college's intent has always been to ensure the leadership, educational and social opportunities afforded by officially recognized student organizations are available to all students attending public institutions," Martinez said. "The court's ruling validates our policy, which is rooted in equity and fairness."
Gay rights: Supreme Court rules against Christian student group that excluded gays - latimes.com

Justices broke along liberal-conservatve lines,...Justice Kennedy siding with the liberals.

So, the vegan club has to sit there with the guy eating the McDonald's Double Cheeseburger?

1) can you see this as a strategy to be used by those desiring to break up any group on campus, joining just to disrupt...

and
2) political correctness trumps freedom of religion and freedom of association in America today.

and
3) are we witnessing victory of the collective over individuallity?

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court seemed to split sharply yesterday on whether a law school can deny recognition to a Christian student group that will not let gays join, a case that could determine whether nondiscrimination policies trump the rights of private organizations to determine who can — and cannot — belong.

Supreme Court justices split over Christian campus club denied recognition because it bars gays - The Boston Globe

The group has a charter based on what they see as morality, and a specific value system, but the court decides that they must accept all applicants.

"Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote in dissent that the majority ruling amounted to "no freedom for expression that offends prevailing standards of political correctness in our country's institutions of higher learning."

Alito, joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas, noted that Hastings has more than 60 registered student groups and that in its entire history has denied registration to "exactly one: the Christian Legal Society." Alito said the majority gave public educational institutions "a handy weapon for suppressing the speech of unpopular groups."

Hastings Dean Leo Martinez, who was the defendant in the case, cheered the high court's decision.

"The college's intent has always been to ensure the leadership, educational and social opportunities afforded by officially recognized student organizations are available to all students attending public institutions," Martinez said. "The court's ruling validates our policy, which is rooted in equity and fairness."
Gay rights: Supreme Court rules against Christian student group that excluded gays - latimes.com

Justices broke along liberal-conservatve lines,...Justice Kennedy siding with the liberals.

So, the vegan club has to sit there with the guy eating the McDonald's Double Cheeseburger?

1) can you see this as a strategy to be used by those desiring to break up any group on campus, joining just to disrupt...

and
2) political correctness trumps freedom of religion and freedom of association in America today.

and

What part of the highlighthed text above do you NOT understand? Had this religious group NOT affiliated itself with the school, there would have been no issue.

Alas, a double post. Did this last night:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/123026-scotus-says-no-to-discrimination-on-campus.html

Too bad, so sad; missed your chance to twist the issue as you wish it had been presented.

Now, I admit that I didn't see yours, but what is your 'twist'? You actually seem upset that not everyone espouses the exact same, lockstep viewpoint as you do...
You wouldn't be a liberal, would you?

Not having folks who don't agree with the premise of the group? That makes sense to you?
And the force of government mandate behind same?

The alternative would have been that the non-believers would have had to form their own group... Tragic?
No, I guess we can't allow that.

and

and

What part of the highlighthed text above do you NOT understand? Had this religious group NOT affiliated itself with the school, there would have been no issue.

Here is the part I can NOT understand: is a university designed to have everyone think the same way?

and

and

Here is the part I can NOT understand: is a university designed to have everyone think the same way?

Of course not....but does that mean the school have have it's very own arm of the KKK as well?

Of course not....but does that mean the school have have it's very own arm of the KKK as well?

To what degree would you care to stand behind the conflation of the Christian group with the KKK?

Surely, you can do better than that one.

To what degree would you care to stand behind the conflation of the Christian group with the KKK?

My point is still valid. The school shoudl NOT be allowed to have groups associated with it that exclude anyone. Why can't this religious group simply disassociated itself from the school? Then, they can pretty much rercuit whomever they want. Much like the Klan does.

From your link:

The Christian Legal Society chapter had sued UC Hastings College of the Law, arguing that denial of school recognition and of access to state funding and facilities violated the group's 1st and 14th Amendment rights to free speech, expressive association and the free exercise of religion.

The group wanted access to state funding for crying out loud...

Last edited:
I believe groups should be able to deny or accept whomever they want in their own circle. For the Supreme Court to even be involved in this seems a bit 1984ish to me. Of course I can also see that some groups are total idiots and need to be (shall we say) watched carefully.

I believe groups should be able to deny or accept whomever they want in their own circle. For the Supreme Court to even be involved in this seems a bit 1984ish to me. Of course I can also see that some groups are total idiots and need to be (shall we say) watched carefully.

NOT when state and/or Federal funding is involved....

They can always choose not except funding from student fees and associate freely with only those they wish too. Sounds pretty simple.

I must admit, I didn't even think about funding. That changes everything, but still the Supreme Court? Damn. You would think they have more important things to worry about.

I must admit, I didn't even think about funding. That changes everything, but still the Supreme Court? Damn. You would think they have more important things to worry about.

I have NO doubt that the USSC has better things to do, but somehow this case got placed on their docket...

Alas, a double post. Did this last night:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/123026-scotus-says-no-to-discrimination-on-campus.html

Too bad, so sad; missed your chance to twist the issue as you wish it had been presented.

Now, I admit that I didn't see yours, but what is your 'twist'? You actually seem upset that not everyone espouses the exact same, lockstep viewpoint as you do...
You wouldn't be a liberal, would you?

Not having folks who don't agree with the premise of the group? That makes sense to you?
And the force of government mandate behind same?

The alternative would have been that the non-believers would have had to form their own group... Tragic?
No, I guess we can't allow that.

Oh, Madeline gets QUITE pissed if you

A) Disagree with her
B) Have any morals

They can always choose not except funding from student fees and associate freely with only those they wish too. Sounds pretty simple.

People who don't fit the mold of their membership can always shut the fuck up and not try to join to. I mean seriously why would a frickin atheist want to join a Christian group? Oh, well the reason is obvious. Pathetic.

My point is still valid. The school shoudl NOT be allowed to have groups associated with it that exclude anyone. Why can't this religious group simply disassociated itself from the school? Then, they can pretty much rercuit whomever they want. Much like the Klan does.

"Which means a Christian group or any other identity group cannot expect members to believe in the validity or merit of their core mission statement or purpose or identity. Which prompted this… "
Supreme Court’s ‘Big Monday’

I'll bet muslims can still have muslim only groups .
Even though Islam calls for the death of all non muslims or maybe because of that.

People who don't fit the mold of their membership can always shut the fuck up and not try to join to. I mean seriously why would a frickin atheist want to join a Christian group? Oh, well the reason is obvious. Pathetic.

Why would an athiest want to be forced to contribute fees to a group that bans him?

Simply put - they can refuse to accept public moneys and do what ever the hell they want - sounds pretty easy to me.

Forum List

Back