Supreme Court: 2nd amendment applies to states as well

Fact is that in America, guns are here to stay.

The genie is out of the bottle, there are too many weapons in private hands to ever consider confiscating them. Guns are also part of our culture and we cannot go back. There is also the second amendment, which is still open for discussion, but which the Supreme Court rightfully upheld the right to individual gun ownership.

This does not, however, preclude the government from having an obligation to restrict the types of weapons in private hands. That is what the Supreme Court held. You cannot ban handguns across the board...but you can still place restrictions on types of handguns and how and where they are used

I might have to retract my apology.

What restriction can the govt put upon me as to how I use a gun, except for in the commission of a crime?

What type of handguns does any Govt. document say that I cannot have?

You cannot own a machine pistol
You cannot have a gun with a silencer
You cannot fire your weapon anytime or anywhere you feel like it
You cannot take your gun into a school or on an airplane

You have a Constitutional right to own a firearm. You do not have the right to use it without restrictions

Fully automatic weapons are already tightly controlled separate from the second amendment. It is already illegal to own a silencer with out a permit.

None of your examples effect TYPES of handguns at all. You claimed we needed reasonable restrictions on the types of handguns one can own. What types are you against?

I think the decision was correctly decided, but I don't think guns are good for us. I wish the second amendment was not there and the US resembled the UK, but that ain't gonna alter my legal analysis.

"People will die because of this decision. It is a victory only for the gun lobby and America's fading firearms industry. The inevitable tide of frivolous pro-gun litigation destined to follow will force cities, counties, and states to expend scarce resources to defend longstanding, effective public safety laws. The gun lobby and gunmakers are seeking nothing less than the complete dismantling of our nation's gun laws in a cynical effort to try and stem the long-term drop in gun ownership and save the dwindling gun industry. The 30,000 lives claimed annually by gun violence and the families destroyed in the wake of mass shootings and murder-suicides mean little to the gun lobby and the firearm manufacturers it protects.

"It is our hope that Chicago's citizens will follow the lead of the residents of the District of Columbia--who were stripped of their handgun ban in the wake of the Supreme Court's June 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller. In the two years since that decision, only 900 firearms have been registered in the District that otherwise could not have been registered before the Heller ruling. The citizens of D.C. reject the wrong-headed notion that more guns make us safer. We know the facts prove the opposite and that areas of the country with the highest concentration of gun ownership also have the highest rates of gun death. We urge Chicago residents to consider these indisputable facts before considering bringing a handgun into their homes--an act that could well prove fatal to themselves or a loved one."

Violence Policy Center Statement on McDonald v. Chicago Decision -- WASHINGTON, June 28 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Your quote is so much bullshit. There as been LESS violance the more gun laws we over turn. NOT more. The people you cite have claimed it would be a lawless shoot out at the OK Corral in Florida and else where if gun laws were reduced, if concealed carry and open carry were approved. Not only has it NOT happened, we have less violent crimes, less shootings less deaths.

Excellent ruling by the Supreme Court. Congratulations to all supporters of the second amendment.

Gotta love the ruling. They cited gun bans enacted after the civil war that prevented blacks from owning firearms. Oh how the racist Dims must be fuming! How dare blacks(along with everyone else) living in or around the shithole ghettos of Chicago get to defend themselves against the criminals running rampant in their own neighborhoods.

My understanding is that the 2nd ammendment was insutituted in the constitution to protect America from tyranny.

Now, before you all get in a huff and claim "that will never happen in America"....do you think anyone expected it to happen in Venezuela?

My understanding is that the 2nd ammendment was insutituted in the constitution to protect America from tyranny.

Now, before you all get in a huff and claim "that will never happen in America"....do you think anyone expected it to happen in Venezuela?

Do we want to move this thread into a "well regulated militia" discussion?

People who push the milita argument overlook the second statement in the amendment. It is "the people" whos right to bear arms should not be infringed. If the framers truly beleived in the milita angle why didnt they say "the states" right to bear arms should not be infringed?

Excellent ruling by the Supreme Court. Congratulations to all supporters of the second amendment.

Don't forget... 4 of those Despotic Shits Voted AGAINST the 2nd Amendment...

:)

peace...

True. Then again, about 6 of them would have said it would have been Constitutional for their Moms to abort them. Too bad their Moms didn't know that in advance.

Abortion is about freedom of choice.
So is the second ammendemnt.

You dont agree with abortion, don't have an abortion.
You dont agree with the right to bear arms. Don't buy a gun.

People who push the milita argument overlook the second statement in the amendment. It is "the people" whos right to bear arms should not be infringed. If the framers truly beleived in the milita angle why didnt they say "the states" right to bear arms should not be infringed?

and we are off.....................

lets all pull out our NRA talking points

Debate over....The people have the right to bears arms so that the states are able to protect themselves with a well regulated malitia.

No longer an "NRA talking point" but LEGAL PRECEDENT !!!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You can only hope... isn't that right you dispicable, anti-american, criminal supporting idiot?

Where have I ever posted that I oppose individual gun ownership?

You must have me confused with someone else

I have to side with Righty on this one.... I don't recall him ever opposing individual gun ownership. So... just simmer down!

thats because Rw never has been opposed to it.....it least in these threads...but then some posters here dont pay attention to the posts of their fellow posters....they just ramble on....kinda like politicians...

Abortion is about freedom of choice.
So is the second ammendemnt.

You dont agree with abortion, don't have an abortion.
You dont agree with the right to bear arms. Don't buy a gun.

Abortion is about legalizing murder of the unborn.

In the eyes of many, yes.
I, too, see it as the murder of the unborn.

However, there are many that see it otherwise.

We should respect their way of thinking and respect their freedom of choice.

100 years from now, would you want law to dictate that you must have an abortion after the age of 40?

Freedom of choice. Guns, abortions, gay marriage. We all have the right to live our lives the way we wish.

Freedom of choice. Personal responsibility.

Last edited:
I might have to retract my apology.

What restriction can the govt put upon me as to how I use a gun, except for in the commission of a crime?

What type of handguns does any Govt. document say that I cannot have?

You cannot own a machine pistol
You cannot have a gun with a silencer
You cannot fire your weapon anytime or anywhere you feel like it
You cannot take your gun into a school or on an airplane

You have a Constitutional right to own a firearm. You do not have the right to use it without restrictions

Fully automatic weapons are already tightly controlled separate from the second amendment. It is already illegal to own a silencer with out a permit.

None of your examples effect TYPES of handguns at all. You claimed we needed reasonable restrictions on the types of handguns one can own. What types are you against?

Automatic weapons
Handguns made of carbon fibres and plastic to get through metal detectors
Handguns disguised as other items
Derringers
Handguns with attached silencers

Sadly the four libs on the court would rather see American citizens' rights trampled on.

Trampled on shit!!! they said in their ruling that they believe that the 2nd amendment should be gone. that you have no right to protect yourself,family property from a unjust Government or criminal.. That is why it was put in the constitution!!! This is why your vote is so important, and why trere should be ID required to be able to vote!!!

Forum List

Back