Suppose that after the Civil War, the US had become two separate countries.

Can you imagine what they would be like today? The end of the war would have left a devastated South and a heavily industrialized North.
Slavery would have been done away with, just later. Only an idiot (rDEan) believes that Slavery would still be going on.

The South wouldn't have established the Federal Reserve and a Fiat Currency. The South wouldn't have participated in all those "fun filled foreign wars" that drain the National Treasury.

Perhaps the South would have loaned some of it's riches to the indebted North and made them their Debt Slaves!

The fact that anyone thinks that in this parallel universe that the south would still owns slaves needs serious remediation on history. But this thread is a peak into the minds of some of USMBs most "special" members.

Correct...Likely timeline

Slaves freed- 1880
Blacks allowed to own property- 1910
Blacks given the vote- 1930
Blacks really allowed to vote- 1980
Blacks allowed to marry white women- Never

See what I mean?

OK imagine the South wins and now imagine that we can clone Jurassic alligators and fill the Everglades with them.

Can you imagine what they would be like today? The end of the war would have left a devastated South and a heavily industrialized North.

Conservatives would have kept on as slave owners. They would have rebuilt their plantations.

The North would have remained heavily industrialized. Remember, the greatest institutions of American learning are located in the North, or what Conservatives call the "Liberal" part of the country.

Would western states have joined the growing "North" with it's innovation, freedom and centers or learning? Or would they have joined the south with it's slavery, unrest and plantations, including the South's religious mandate.

Would the south had become similar to what is going on in the North Bank and Gaza?

Today, Southern slates are kept afloat by liberal and northern money subsidizing. What would they do without all that Blue State money?

Not according to Churchill. He wrote an alternative history potboiler where the South won the Civil War, Lee freed the slaves, and both nations joined with Britain to prevent the outbreak of WWI in Europe.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Gettysburg-copy.jpg

The entire story is available here. http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.23...2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21101443043781

WWI was a wholly unnecessary demonstration of the dangers of entangling alliances. Churchill was one of the most guilty parties involved in bringing it on.

WWI was a wholly unnecessary demonstration of the dangers of entangling alliances. Churchill was one of the most guilty parties involved in bringing it on.

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

The fact that anyone thinks that in this parallel universe that the south would still owns slaves needs serious remediation on history. But this thread is a peak into the minds of some of USMBs most "special" members.

Slaves freed- 1880

See what I mean?

Cool

Give us your dates of when you think those events would have happened in a "Free South"

Slaves freed- 1880

See what I mean?

Cool

Give us your dates of when you think those events would have happened in a "Free South"

So you want me to date your false premise based on a parallel, nonexistent universe?

The "special" is strong in this one.

See what I mean?

Cool

So you want me to date your false premise based on a parallel, nonexistent universe?

The "special" is strong in this one.

Then why bother posting on this thread ?

It is a simple process, use what you know of the historical context of the South in 1865 and remove the surrender and replace with a two country scenario

Let me get you started.... The South would not have set up a Libertarian Government

Yes, and this thread does not belong in the history forum. It belongs, if any place, in the adult diaper/rubber room.

The South would not have given up slavery so easily

First of all, their Constitution had a provision saying no laws could be passed infringing on slavery

Article I Section 9(4)
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed

Their Constitution would have had to be ammended and at that would have left Slavery as a States Rights issue. There would have been immense global pressure from Europe to free the slaves and I susspect that the process could have started as early as 1880 but it may have been 1900-1910 before Mississippi and Alabama agreed

Conservatives would have kept on as slave owners. They would have rebuilt their plantations.

The North would have remained heavily industrialized. Remember, the greatest institutions of American learning are located in the North, or what Conservatives call the "Liberal" part of the country.

Would western states have joined the growing "North" with it's innovation, freedom and centers or learning? Or would they have joined the south with it's slavery, unrest and plantations, including the South's religious mandate.

Would the south had become similar to what is going on in the North Bank and Gaza?

Today, Southern slates are kept afloat by liberal and northern money subsidizing. What would they do without all that Blue State money?

Slavery would have been done away with in a few years. They would have industrialized their nation and they would have been a complement to the Union. Perhaps, eventually, they would have again become part of the union.

The north would have lost their will to fight, having lost the fight against their brothers. Their industry would have taken a nose dive and it would have taken them years to recover. Slavery in the north would have remained for at least as long as it did in the south, perhaps longer, as a punishment for the war. You know how stupid we are, blaming things on people who aren't responsible. Like blaming Iraq for 9/11.

Lincoln was a republican you fuckin idiot

Lincoln was a Republican.

In the middle 1960's, conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party when blacks joined the Democratic Party in huge numbers. Remember, Republicans built the innerstate highway system and started NASA. Today's Republicans are NOT the Republicans from before the middle 60's. They would never have built NASA and we know they believe building infrastructure is a waste of money.

Republicans trying to take credit for what Lincoln did would be like Republicans trying to take credit for taking out Bin Laden.

The Republican Party of today is 90% white. There is no way they would have ended slavery.

Forum List

Back