"Support the Troops"

What exactly does this mean? Anyone?

Well, you said "anyone".

All I know is "suppporting the troops" was NOT exemplified recently in Portland, OR. This:

If the cause of peace is worth supporting — and we believe it is — then peace protesters must demonstrate the values they promote. The vast majority of the estimated 15,000 protesters who took part in a peace march Sunday in downtown Portland did just that. They were well-behaved, well-intentioned and serious about their cause.

But then there was a smaller group of demonstrators — if they can even be called that — who engaged in numerous actions that violated the sensibilities of ordinary people and damaged the very cause the activists claimed to endorse.

This splinter group of protesters showed its support for “peace” by burning a U.S. soldier in effigy. It exhibited its supposedly pacifist nature by knocking a police officer off his bike — an action that brought out the police riot squad.

Perhaps the most disturbing scene of the afternoon, however, involved the man who pulled down his pants in front of women and children and defecated on a burning U.S. flag. This disgusting act actually elicited cheers from some members of the crowd, but we hope that the emotion it produces in the community is one of revulsion.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/opinion/story.php?story_id=117459283544877600

Is what I'd consider a "patriotic" response to this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecp8ZCC3tB8[/ame]

Chanting:

"Bye, Bye GI... In Iraq You're Gonna Die!"

and:

"Build a bonfire
Build a bonfire
Put the soldiers on the top.
Put the fascists in the middle,
And, we'll burn the f**king lot."

is NOT supporting the troops nor is it patriotism.

Well, you said "anyone".

All I know is "suppporting the troops" was NOT exemplified recently in Portland, OR. This:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/opinion/story.php?story_id=117459283544877600

Is what I'd consider a "patriotic" response to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecp8ZCC3tB8

Chanting:

"Bye, Bye GI... In Iraq You're Gonna Die!"

and:

"Build a bonfire
Build a bonfire
Put the soldiers on the top.
Put the fascists in the middle,
And, we'll burn the f**king lot."

is NOT supporting the troops nor is it patriotism.

For the moonbat left - that is a perfect example of patriotism

Those are ANARCHISTS who believe in NOTHING. Comparing us liberals to them is like comparing the radical right to NAZIS.
asking red states rule to make that sort of intellectual distinction is like asking a preschooler to differentiate between shades of aqua used by Michaelangelo in the Sistine Chapel.

asking red states rule to make that sort of intellectual distinction is like asking a preschooler to differentiate between shades of aqua used by Michaelangelo in the Sistine Chapel.

Libs have compared the troops to Nazi's and Pol Pot and the real supporters of the troops are to sit by and say nothing?

the rest of us tire of your repetitive blathering, however.

Libs are, and perhaps the RINO's - they are not interested in being confronted with facts

Here I thought libs were for free speech. Or does it only apply to liberal speech?

Libs are, and perhaps the RINO's - they are not interested in being confronted with facts

Here I thought libs were for free speech. Or does it only apply to liberal speech?

again...editorials are not facts...and what most folks on here want to read are the ideas and thoughts of others here...not newsbusters articles.

again...editorials are not facts...and what most folks on here want to read are the ideas and thoughts of others here...not newsbusters articles.

My articles site researchers, scientists, and folks who are actually in Iraq.

Since they go against your pre determined view on the subject you dismiss them

If I wanted to read articles, I would go read articles. I want to see if you can express yourself and debate ideas. Obviously, you cannot.

Translation - I cannot counter your facts so I will change the subjet and attack you

no....I don't come here to read cut and paste op ed pieces. I come here to debate ideas with individuals intelligent enough to express them. That ain't you, obviously.

no....I don't come here to read cut and paste op ed pieces. I come here to debate ideas with individuals intelligent enough to express them. That ain't you, obviously.

I post articles that present facts that support my opinion

You quickly change course and attack me for posting the article

I post articles that present facts that support my opinion

You quickly change course and attack me for posting the article

all you ever do is post editorials rather than write anything yourself. I have asked you repeatedly to quit relying on others to do your talking for you. If all you have to offer is oneliner insults and cut and paste words from others, you really are of no value to this site.

Here is an example of red states posts

"cheap one line attack, usually with the word libs in it"

article written by so and so on this date

(paste large article here)

End of article

"cheap one line closing attack, sometimes nothing at all"

There are plenty of veterans who have been to Iraq that are actively engaged in trying to stop the war. It would be fair if you quoted some of them.

http://www.ivaw.org/

I belong to another veteran's group that is opposed to this war also.

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/

My point is that the pro-war, far right often selectively quotes soldiers in Iraq saying that things are going just "smashingly" over there and that they're glad to be there.

This is not representative of the collective morale. More often than not we hear from soldiers who no longer give a flip why they're still supposed to be over there. Many of them have done several back to back deployments and they're sick of it. They feel they've gone above and beyond the call of duty and they've lost faith in this "mission." They just want to come home.

There is a sense that the country is screwed and they no longer feel it is their duty to fix it.

Overwhelmingly they say that whatever happens to Iraq after they leave is Bush's problem.

Forum List

Back