Support the troops...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
For those of you who claim to support our troops maybe you'd better give you ol' buddy Dubbyuh a call at the White House. His idea of supporting the troops is to cut funding for VA medical services to wounded veterans returning from Iraq. Our men and women in uniform are nothing but props to him...to be trotted out for the occaisional photo-op.

<blockquote>"The president has delivered a disappointing funding request for the Department of Veterans Affairs," said the leader of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S., in reaction to the administration's fiscal year 2006 budget request that was released today.

"The claimed increase of $880 million for VA health care funding is really only about $100 million once you subtract those amounts that would be shouldered by military veterans," said John Furgess, the VFW's commander-in-chief. "And $100 million neither matches inflation nor do anything to help the VA keep pace with the needs of a veterans' population that now includes wounded troops from Iraq and Afghanistan," he said.

"This budget will cause veterans' health care to be delayed and may result in the return of six-month-long waiting periods. That is especially shameful during a time of war." - <a href=http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news.newsDtl&did=2362>VFW</a></blockquote>

<blockquote>PRESIDENT Bush gives plenty of lip service to men and women in uniform. Now it’s time for the President to put his money where his mouth is and fully fund veterans’ benefits.

An official of the Department of Veterans Affairs admitted last week that it is short $1 billion for the current fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30, but giving short shrift to those who have served their country is nothing new for this administration.

For several years now, the Bush bean counters have been slashing funds for veterans’ medical care. Playing cheap with those who have put their lives on the line would be a concern any time. Coming as the shortfall does as soldiers return home daily from war in Afghanistan and Iraq with horrific injuries, it’s a scandal.

The outrage on Capitol Hill is bipartisan, even though Republicans have continually thwarted Democratic attempts to give the VA more money under the guise of budget restraint. - <a href=http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050630/OPINION02/50630004>The Toledo Blade</a></blockquote>

It was only yesterday that the Senate voted to approve $1.5 billion in emergency funds to help cover the shortfalls in VA health programs. Yeah buddy, Dubbyuh supports the troops.

Don't you know by now that big tax returns are more important than the overall health and well-being of our countrymen and women.

This is shameful. Bush pretends to be some guy that loves the military because he wears a bracelet and has 5-second prayers with widows. This guy has asked men and women to sacrifice their lives, but rich people can't even sacrifice a tiny percentage of their earnings and inheritance. Because of this, the VA and every other government sector, besides the defense department, has had to deal with significant budgetary cuts. People like Bush act like the government is good for nothing but bombing brown people.

But the Constitution's preamble says the purpose of government is to "promote the general welfare."

Taking care of veterans and other sick people that can't afford health care from for-profit hospitals, like the chain Sen. Frist ran with his family, obviously falls under "general welfare."

I'm not even going to bother with posting links to a myriad of articles covering how Bush has expanded VA benefits multiples over what Clinton ever thought of. yes, there was a shortfall this year. But the GOP Houses have taken care of it.

What's the problem Bully? It is not as if the vets are not receiving what they need.

freeandfun1 said:
I'm not even going to bother with posting links to a myriad of articles covering how Bush has expanded VA benefits multiples over what Clinton ever thought of. yes, there was a shortfall this year. But the GOP Houses have taken care of it.

What's the problem Bully? It is not as if the vets are not receiving what they need.

I don't think any other sitting president has sought to have benefits cut, as Dubbyuh has. And as for the shortfall, that was $1.5<b>BILLION</b>, and that only covers up to the end of the fiscal year in September. The fiscal 2006 budget leaves a <a href=http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N28393122.htm>$2.6 billion dollar hole</a> in the VA's budget at a time when the need for VA services amongst US wounded returing from Iraq and Afghanistan is increasing at a far higher rate than originally anticipated. The orignal estimate listed services for some 23,000 service members. Revised estimates put it closer to 103,000.

Dubbyuh went to war with a quickness , but funding for the aftermath is slow to be procured. Now, what happened to that $89 billion tax-cut he pushed through Congress?

BTW, just how do you know their needs are being met? YOur attitude seems rather cavalier.

Bush has NOT cut benefits. It is a lie and you know it. I know they are getting what they need because I keep in contact with several soldiers that have been injured.

The so-called VA shortfall is on the same credibility level with leftist claims that the Bush White House allegedly stated that Saddam was involved with the attacks on 9-11.

Where they got the figure of 103,000 is beyond me, unless they expect everyone who ever served in Afghanistan and Iraq to require the services of the VA. I doubt very much that's going to happen unless you start factoring in things like college education programs, VA loans etc.

Merlin1047 said:
The so-called VA shortfall is on the same credibility level with leftist claims that the Bush White House allegedly stated that Saddam was involved with the attacks on 9-11.

Where they got the figure of 103,000 is beyond me, unless they expect everyone who ever served in Afghanistan and Iraq to require the services of the VA. I doubt very much that's going to happen unless you start factoring in things like college education programs, VA loans etc.
Bush has raised funding for the VA multiples over what Clinton ever provided, yet somehow the libs still have the balls to say he has "cut" the VA.

Forum List

Back