Support Our Troops Education Benefits

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
Rather than vote against the bill, he chose to not show up for the vote and continue with his fund raising. Then he atttacks Obama for daring to suggest he doesn't support the troops.

How much does the tax cuts for the wealthy cost US? He didn't support them, now he does. How much does this bill cost US to give the troops real education benefits. The GI Bill of WWII created a huge post war workforce that was able to get a college degree because of this bill. This was a major reason for much of the success of our country at that time.

Support for the troops returned as an issue to the presidential campaign yesterday with harsh words from both sides.

more stories like thisThe Democratic National Committee accused John McCain of being AWOL from the Senate vote yesterday for a new GI Bill to provide better education benefits for returning veterans. McCain was in California on a campaign and fund-raising trip, while both Democratic contenders, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, left the campaign trail to vote for the bill, which passed by a veto-proof 75-to-22 majority.

On the Senate floor, Obama questioned why McCain opposed the bill. "I can't believe why he believes it is too generous to our veterans," Obama said. "There are many issues that lend themselves to partisan posturing, but giving our veterans the chance to go to college should not be one of them."

McCain, a Vietnam War hero, didn't take the criticism lightly - and while Obama is careful to honor McCain's military service, he mentioned Obama's lack of it.

"I will not accept from Senator Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did," McCain said in a statement. "Perhaps, if Senator Obama would take the time and trouble to understand this issue (This from a man who said he didn't understand the economy.)he would learn to debate an honest disagreement respectfully. (Again, would this be like his attack on Obama for wanting to talk to our enemies like Hamas, when McCain himself said he would?) But, as he always does, he prefers impugning the motives of his opponent, (I guess McCain has never done this?}and exploiting a thoughtful difference of opinion to advance his own ambitions. If that is how he would behave as president, the country would regret his election."

http://tinyurl.com/5uok27

Forum List

Back