Support for ObamaCare Slipping Among Senate Democrats

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Harry Reid could have a real headache soon.

A group of Senate Democrats is discussing ways to take aim at the heart of the new health care – the individual mandate.

“We’re looking at everything humanly possible. I’ve always had a concern and a problem with the mandate, that we were forcing it, basically saying by the law of the land you have to buy the product,” Sen. Joe Manchin, D-WV, told ABC News today. “But on the other hand, I know that’s been the lynchpin. I’m looking for flexibility any way I can.”

Manchin is one of the moderate Democrats trying to figure out how to repeal the individual mandate. While talks are still in the early stages, Manchin hopes the push will take shape sooner rather than later.

Joining him in these efforts could be a handful of other Democrats who are also up for re-election in 2012: Nebraska’s Ben Nelson, Missouri’s Claire McCaskill, and Montana’s Jon Tester.

ABC News

They see the writing on the wall. All four of these Senators are up for reelection next year in states that generally trend Republican. They watched 63 of their colleagues in the House and a few in the Senate get swept out of office just a few months ago in part due to the passage of ObamaCare. Over half the states are suing to have it struck down as unconstitutional and two judges so far agree with them. Angst among the public has really not gone away.

Looks like this legislation wasn't so "historical" after all.

Over half the states are suing to have it struck down as unconstitutional and two judges so far agree with them.

And yet if the individual mandate were removed, an idea these Democrats seem to be mulling, those objections melt away. The individual mandate is the only legal ammunition against the law that opponents have (e.g. Vinson rejected the states' arguments that the Medicaid expansion is unconstitutional, even as he agreed the individual mandate is). And, indeed, it seems to be the only major provision of the law that's unpopular among majorities in various polls. Get rid of it and the legal arguments against the ACA and potentially some of the opposition in the general public dissipates.

Careful what you wish for.

Over half the states are suing to have it struck down as unconstitutional and two judges so far agree with them.

And yet if the individual mandate were removed, an idea these Democrats seem to be mulling, those objections melt away. The individual mandate is the only legal ammunition against the law that opponents have (e.g. Vinson rejected the states' arguments that the Medicaid expansion is unconstitutional, even as he agreed the individual mandate is). And, indeed, it seems to be the only major provision of the law that's unpopular among majorities in various polls. Get rid of it and the legal arguments against the ACA and potentially some of the opposition in the general public dissipates.

Without the madate, the cost to an insurer or to the government (if government takeover) will be so high, it will be impossible to sustain.

You CANNOT eliminate pre existing condition clauses without the mandate. People will simply pay their 500 a year average medical costs and only take out insurance if their medical costs increase due to a serious illness or medical condition.

Thus was why the need for pre existing clauses to begin with.

ObamaCare is just like the Iraq/Afghanistan wars. No clear victory along with huge cost overruns that go on forever.

We got out of Vietnam by defunding it right? Should do the same with ObamaCare.

Without the madate, the cost to an insurer or to the government (if government takeover) will be so high, it will be impossible to sustain.

You CANNOT eliminate pre existing condition clauses without the mandate. People will simply pay their 500 a year average medical costs and only take out insurance if their medical costs increase due to a serious illness or medical condition.

Thus was why the need for pre existing clauses to begin with.

I agree. If the federal mandate were repealed, I imagine by 2015 you'd see a number of states implementing state-level individual mandates, Massachusetts-style. Those states that hold out for ideological reasons and don't even try to institute some weaker alternative would likely face fairly severe dysfunction in their individual markets.

Uh. The Individual Mandate was one of the ways they cooked the CBO score.

I agree. If the federal mandate were repealed, I imagine by 2015 you'd see a number of states implementing state-level individual mandates, Massachusetts-style.

I imagine not, as RomneyCare has been a boondoggle. I am from MA, you know.

Forum List

Back