Support for Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition in Polls

They do....What they want is MORE than me.

How would allowing me to marry my partner of 17 years grant me MORE rights than you get?

So you want special rights to marry a same sex person....You already have the same right as I to marry a person of the opposite sex....Why should you get special privileges over me????Cause of your choice to not live as I ? I dont think anyone should be rewarded just cause of a sexual perversion or act. Thats prostitution... Are you a hooker now?

How is it a special right OVER yours? Would you also not have the same right to marry a partner of the same sex?

Another losing battle for you righties: Support for Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition in Polls

Support for Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition in Polls - NYTimes.com

And yet in every State that has it on the ballet it loses. And the Courts step in to thwart the will of the people. Go figure.

There’s nothing to ‘figure.’ It’s called the rule of law, it’s the cornerstone of our Republic. One’s civil liberties are not subject to majority rule. The rule of law protects citizens from the tyranny of the majority. See: West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette (1943).

Consequently nothing is ‘thwarted,’ if the ‘will of the people’ is offensive to the Constitution. See: Marbury v. Madison (1803).
Yet no civil liberty is being denied.

How would allowing me to marry my partner of 17 years grant me MORE rights than you get?

So you want special rights to marry a same sex person....You already have the same right as I to marry a person of the opposite sex....Why should you get special privileges over me????Cause of your choice to not live as I ? I dont think anyone should be rewarded just cause of a sexual perversion or act. Thats prostitution... Are you a hooker now?

How is it a special right OVER yours? Would you also not have the same right to marry a partner of the same sex?

Cause it is not the right of us all just you and a few others.....

Thanatos -

Please answer this question; if same-sex marriage is legalized, would you be restricted (by law) from marrying someone of the same sex, or would you too have the right to marry a person of the same sex?

No one's being granted special rights; any ruling will apply to all...

Last edited:
And yet in every State that has it on the ballet it loses. And the Courts step in to thwart the will of the people. Go figure.

There’s nothing to ‘figure.’ It’s called the rule of law, it’s the cornerstone of our Republic. One’s civil liberties are not subject to majority rule. The rule of law protects citizens from the tyranny of the majority. See: West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette (1943).

Consequently nothing is ‘thwarted,’ if the ‘will of the people’ is offensive to the Constitution. See: Marbury v. Madison (1803).
Yet no civil liberty is being denied.

When two members of the same sex get married by a religious institution, the state and federal governments do not recognize those marriages and do not offer any financial benefits like those offered to heterosexual marriages.

That one should be fairly obvious.

There are plenty more examples of state and federally denied benefits.

I think the 'support' in polls depends on how it is stated... I think you will find many libertarians and conservatives supporting it if you are stating that people should be with whomever they want, get government out of the nitty gritty of marriage, and recognize family units for the contracts that they are and have every family unit recognized by government with the same benefits of power of attorney, taxation, inheritance, etc..... but if you try and mandate or legislate acceptance, keep government huge in 'marriage' etc, you would get lesser support

Marriage is a civil right and has been forever. Churches and religions have no more authority than is "granted them by the state".

Churches can refuse to marry anyone. Many churches have traditionally refused to recognize marriages from other faiths.

Please tell me how gay marriage affects the quality of your marriage. It doesn't.

Gay equality is the civil rights cause of this century. It will probably be just as horrific and disgusting as the last century's battle.

Umm.. show me where marriage is a right laid out in the constitution... I'll be waiting

If you want having whatever family unit you want as an inalienable right, get government the fuck out of it... keep government only in the areas of taxation, power of attorney, inheritance, etc... LIKE I SAID...

But you don't get to legislate to tell people they have to accept this behavior or that behavior.. we choose personal discriminations every day.. you choose lot to let drug users in your house or around your kids... you choose not to have the stinky drunk neighbor in your house... you choose not to associate with the conservative or the liberal.. you choose to roll your eyes at people who worship trees... you choose to refuse service to belligerent people in your store... the list goes on

Everyone is supposed to already have equality in TREATMENT by government under law anyway.. you don't need every last little behavior legislated, coddled, or formally recognized...

Gay marriage does not effect me in the least.... government over-reaching in yet another area does... and THAT is what I am against... government, especially the fed, needs its wet nose out of marriage

I'm sorry, but your response made no sense.

You seem to think marriage is a special right...just for you and other heterosexuals. Allowing me to marry my non-familial consenting adult partner isn't a "special right" if you will also be able to marry the non-familial consenting adult partner of YOUR choice. It's the right you enjoy expanded to other Americans. Now please explain why you are opposed to that. Your "argument" of it being a special right is pure baloney so try answering the question.

Umm.. show me where marriage is a right laid out in the constitution... I'll be waiting

There is no need. It was the SCOTUS that declared marriage a fundamental right and they did it on no less than three occasions. It's well established now.

If you want having whatever family unit you want as an inalienable right, get government the fuck out of it... keep government only in the areas of taxation, power of attorney, inheritance, etc... LIKE I SAID...

So you want to change over a thousand mentions of marriage in our legal code just so you don't have to let the icky queers have the same right? :lol: okay...

But you don't get to legislate to tell people they have to accept this behavior or that behavior.. we choose personal discriminations every day.. you choose lot to let drug users in your house or around your kids... you choose not to have the stinky drunk neighbor in your house... you choose not to associate with the conservative or the liberal.. you choose to roll your eyes at people who worship trees... you choose to refuse service to belligerent people in your store... the list goes on

Everyone is supposed to already have equality in TREATMENT by government under law anyway.. you don't need every last little behavior legislated, coddled, or formally recognized...

Gay marriage does not effect me in the least.... government over-reaching in yet another area does... and THAT is what I am against... government, especially the fed, needs its wet nose out of marriage

Yeah, apparently we do. Just like black people that wanted to marry white people and vice versa. They needed their "behavior" legislated too.

Just like those annoying elections that never got rid of segregation. Oh, wait....and slavery.

Umm, You might want to re-read History. It took much more than an election to end Slavery. It took a war, and it took Lincoln Abusing the Constitution, as the SCOTUS later said he did.

Had we had to wait on the Ballot Box to end slavery it would have taken a much longer time.

Psst, I think that was the point....

And the point was wrong. Slavery was abolished by the normal democratic process.

There is no need. It was the SCOTUS that declared marriage a fundamental right and they did it on no less than three occasions. It's well established now.

So you want to change over a thousand mentions of marriage in our legal code just so you don't have to let the icky queers have the same right? :lol: okay...

Yeah, apparently we do. Just like black people that wanted to marry white people and vice versa. They needed their "behavior" legislated too.

SC has done and stated lots of things.. right AND wrong... your point means nothing

Am I trying to prevent any couple from being together? No... I want government out of it.. because this is about forced acceptance rather than equality in treatment... and because government is over-reaching in this and many more areas...

Look... in a free society you have the freedom to be a bigot just as you have the freedom to be an accepting person... and even if I disagree with the bigot, I will still recognize his or her freedom...

I gave the solution.. yes, remove all those lines and references in the law... OR FUCKING SIMPLY CHANGE THEM TO STATE 'MEMBER OF AN ADULT FAMILY UNIT'... matter of fact, probably much easier and less time consuming than the battle you have been fighting for years and will continue to have in front of you

They do....What they want is MORE than me.

No one is asking for ‘special rights,’ all rights are the same for all citizens.

The issue for same sex couples is equal access to the laws, the same laws enjoyed by everyone else, as guaranteed by the 14th Amendment.

No one is asking for ‘special rights,’ all rights are the same for all citizens.

The issue for same sex couples is equal access to the laws, the same laws enjoyed by everyone else, as guaranteed by the 14th Amendment.

They have equal rights. The issue here is if one wants to fundamentally alter what a marriage is.

And Yet...everytime it goes to a vote, it loses by a smaller margin...and the out of state opposition has to spent millions more in their lies.

yeah we need more sexual perversions, man I cant wait until a time where NAMBLA is a legitimate part of the Democratic party, man that will be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Only a party of Totalitarians would suggest that the government should regulate private sexual activities between two consenting adults...

As long as the 50 states issue the Marriage License, they have the right to determine who gets one. When we have to go to the Federal building to get one, they can issue you one to marry your sister for all I care.

Until then, the states are excercising the few rights they have left by passing a law that marriage is defined as between a man and a woman.

yeah we need more sexual perversions, man I cant wait until a time where NAMBLA is a legitimate part of the Democratic party, man that will be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Only a party of Totalitarians would suggest that the government should regulate private sexual activities between two consenting adults...

As long as the 50 states issue the Marriage License, they have the right to determine who gets one. When we have to go to the Federal building to get one, they can issue you one to marry your sister for all I care.

Until then, the states are excercising the few rights they have left by passing a law that marriage is defined as between a man and a woman.

So you support the repeal of DOMA and the recognition by the federal government of all legal Civil Marriages under state law, correct?

>>>>

Only to the extent such a determination comports with Constitutional case law. The states are indeed authorized to prohibit a brother and sister from marrying, for example, if such a prohibition is applied to everyone equally. The states may not, however, single-out a particular class of persons, such as same-sex couples, for exclusion from their marriage laws.

Forum List

Back