Support for Congressional Health Care Reform Falls to New Low

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Public support for the health care reform plan proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats has fallen to a new low as just 42% of U.S. voters now favor the plan. That’s down five points from two weeks ago and down eight points from six weeks ago.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that opposition to the plan has increased to 53%, up nine points since late June.

More significantly, 44% of voters strongly oppose the health care reform effort versus 26% who strongly favor it. Intensity has been stronger among opponents of the plan since the debate began.

Sixty-seven percent (67%) of those under 30 favor the plan while 56% of those over 65 are opposed. Among senior citizens, 46% are strongly opposed.

Predictably, 69% of Democrats favor the plan, while 79% of Republicans oppose it. Yet while 44% of Democratic voters strongly favor the reform effort, 70% of GOP voters are strongly opposed to it.
Most notable, however, is the opposition among voters not affiliated with either party. Sixty-two percent (62%) of unaffiliated voters oppose the health care plan, and 51% are strongly opposed. This marks an uptick in strong opposition among both Republicans and unaffiliateds, while the number of strongly supportive Democrats is unchanged.

Support for Congressional Health Care Reform Falls to New Low - Rasmussen Reports™

Public support for the health care reform plan proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats has fallen to a new low as just 42% of U.S. voters now favor the plan. That’s down five points from two weeks ago and down eight points from six weeks ago.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that opposition to the plan has increased to 53%, up nine points since late June.

More significantly, 44% of voters strongly oppose the health care reform effort versus 26% who strongly favor it. Intensity has been stronger among opponents of the plan since the debate began.

Sixty-seven percent (67%) of those under 30 favor the plan while 56% of those over 65 are opposed. Among senior citizens, 46% are strongly opposed.

Predictably, 69% of Democrats favor the plan, while 79% of Republicans oppose it. Yet while 44% of Democratic voters strongly favor the reform effort, 70% of GOP voters are strongly opposed to it.
Most notable, however, is the opposition among voters not affiliated with either party. Sixty-two percent (62%) of unaffiliated voters oppose the health care plan, and 51% are strongly opposed. This marks an uptick in strong opposition among both Republicans and unaffiliateds, while the number of strongly supportive Democrats is unchanged.

Support for Congressional Health Care Reform Falls to New Low - Rasmussen Reports™

Do ya' think the first Republican President was gettin' at that when he said

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

I have been following the poll numbers concerning the support for HR 3200 for a bit of time now. It is dropping in popularity more and more every week. The support for this bill has been steadily declining. It's going to be interesting to see if the Democrats have the balls to really pass a bill that the vast majority of Americans do not want. My perdiction is that if they pass it, the vote in the 2010 election, and the election in 2012 will have a record number of voter turn out. I do believe that Americans would like to see some reform in the health care system here in the United States but I think most people feel the way I do and do not want the government sticking their fingers in the pie. I believe that if the poll numbers continue to drop concerning the favor of this bill, Democrats are going to begin to turn away for their support of it and Obama's plan for health care reform because after all, very soon people will begin to think about the up-coming 2010 elections. None of the deadbeat Congressmen want to loose their jobs.

Do ya' think the first Republican President was gettin' at that when he said

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Are you suggesting Obama may be a secret Republican who is screwing this up so badly in order to prove Lincoln right?

Interesting.

Tue Aug 4, 2:23 pm ET
WASHINGTON (AFP) – A majority of Americans are in favor of having a public, or government-run, option in the US health care system as proposed by President Barack Obama, a poll showed Tuesday.

Fifty-two percent of 2,276 US adults surveyed online by Harris Interactive between July 9 and 13 said they were in favor of a government-run health plan, while just 30 percent were against.

Tue Aug 4, 2:23 pm ET
WASHINGTON (AFP) – A majority of Americans are in favor of having a public, or government-run, option in the US health care system as proposed by President Barack Obama, a poll showed Tuesday.

Fifty-two percent of 2,276 US adults surveyed online by Harris Interactive between July 9 and 13 said they were in favor of a government-run health plan, while just 30 percent were against.

An online poll, huh? Cool... They're ALWAYS reliable... Just like exit polls...LOL

:lol:

An online poll, huh? Cool... They're ALWAYS reliable...
They beat Rassmussen

point being - if you are looking for a poll to support your position (whatever that position may be) you can find one

Last edited:
I agree that healcare needs to be tweeked. However the easiest way for the gov. to fix the problem is for them to look in their own backyard.

They already run the VA's. Simply close the 100 of so VA's. They'll save BILLIONS every year on costs. Give the veterans a card to use at any local hospital that way they get the VERY SAME care as they're getting now. Gov. saves BILLIONS because they don't have the overhead of running a hospital.

The gov. runs Medicare, they reimburse the hospitals/Dr. offices at less than 40cents on the dollar. If the gov. started reimbursing at a fair rate the prices of procedures and office visits would come down for EVERYONE ELSE.

The gov. already has the power to fix these two problems since they're the ones who run them. I've seen socialized medicine and until the gov. can fix the programs they already run I don't want their fingers in anymore pies.

btw - when did I neglect to use the quote button in a manner that is satisfactory to your sensibilies?

Last edited:
btw - when did I neglect to use the quote button in a manner that is satisfactory to your sensibilies?

^ the above method shows who you are quoting... I did that by using the QUOTE button...

^ Your method requires poster to search back through the thread to determine who you are quoting...

If you believe online polls are a reliable indication of public opinion, then you are living in an alternate reality....

and if you believe Rassmussen is a reliable indication ..... yada yada

Can you tell us why Rassmussen is NOT reliable? I hear libs like yourself discount it while praising others, so I'd like to know why..

Last edited:
Quote: Originally Posted by nodoginnafight
^ the above method shows who you are quoting... I did that by using the QUOTE button...

Quote:
^ Your method requires poster to search back through the thread to determine who you are quoting...

I prefer my method - I prefer not to interact with folks who can't follow along.

Can you tell us why Rassmussen is NOT reliable? I hear libs like yourself discount it while praising others, so I'd like to know why..

I don't COMPLETELY discount rassmussen but statistically they are routinely what is called an outlier. They consistently show a bias of several points to the right. Gallup is typically the same thing on the left. I like using the poll averages as these outliers get averaged out and you typically wind up with a much clearer picture.

Quote:

I prefer my method - I prefer not to interact with folks who can't follow along.

Typical liberal response...

You should have just said that you were too stupid to figure it out... That would have been honest...

Quote:

Funny, that's what I think about you. I used your source of the Harris Interactive, and found it to be just about as accurate as Rasmussen. In fact, I found you to be disingenuous, with your use of the Harris Interactive Poll. just sayin....

Funny, that's what I think about you. I used your source of the Harris Interactive, and found it to be just about as accurate as Rasmussen.

See, even people who disagree on such substantive issues as which quote method to use can come together and find common ground that Harris Interative is "just about as accurate" as Rassmussen.

Forum List

Back