Supplements--What are you taking?

Apr 12, 2006
New Jersey
I have recently joined the world of vitamin supplement takers. The loss of a loved one to cancer has sort of scared me into taking care of myself. I am a healthy weight and get exercise, unfortunately my diet has been far less than nutritious. To improve my overall vitality, I did research into different supplements. I am a poor college student, so I could only buy a few. I am now taking the following 3 supplements:

-Men's multi-vitamin: has basic vitamins, antioxidants, obviously a must for any healthy life.
-Garlic Supplement: Proven to lower bad cholestoral and fight heart disease, may also be a good anticarcinogen.
-Fish/Flax/Borage supplement: I do not eat fish (they taste bad), thus I need a source for important omega acids...this is it.

What do you guys take/recommend and why?

I have recently joined the world of vitamin supplement takers. The loss of a loved one to cancer has sort of scared me into taking care of myself. I am a healthy weight and get exercise, unfortunately my diet has been far less than nutritious. To improve my overall vitality, I did research into different supplements. I am a poor college student, so I could only buy a few. I am now taking the following 3 supplements:

-Men's multi-vitamin: has basic vitamins, antioxidants, obviously a must for any healthy life.
-Garlic Supplement: Proven to lower bad cholestoral and fight heart disease, may also be a good anticarcinogen.
-Fish/Flax/Borage supplement: I do not eat fish (they taste bad), thus I need a source for important omega acids...this is it.

The multi-vitamin is the best of the items you listed - just make sure you get one which is balanced for your body.

Rather than taking a fish oil supplement (for the Omega fatty acids) you should just have a helping of baked fish once or twice a week. Using regular food items for your nutritional needs is better than any pills as the food is naturally more bio-available than the pills.

BTW, bake your own garlic cloves and then use them as a spread on toasted bread with a light splash of olive oil. Beats the hell out of what we call "garlic bread" both for taste and for nutritional value. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and broil it for a little bit for extra flavor and protein.

I'd also recommend regular helpings of fresh broccoli each week. It's full of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Same thing for baby spinach (after the CDC warnings about e. coli are gone)

The multi-vitamin is the best of the items you listed - just make sure you get one which is balanced for your body.

Rather than taking a fish oil supplement (for the Omega fatty acids) you should just have a helping of baked fish once or twice a week. Using regular food items for your nutritional needs is better than any pills as the food is naturally more bio-available than the pills.

BTW, bake your own garlic cloves and then use them as a spread on toasted bread with a light splash of olive oil. Beats the hell out of what we call "garlic bread" both for taste and for nutritional value. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and broil it for a little bit for extra flavor and protein.

I'd also recommend regular helpings of fresh broccoli each week. It's full of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Same thing for baby spinach (after the CDC warnings about e. coli are gone)

I am a big brocolli fan...how do you recommend preparing it to preserve the nutrients? I eat a lot of frozen brocolli (probably not as healthy).

I am a big brocolli fan...how do you recommend preparing it to preserve the nutrients? I eat a lot of frozen brocolli (probably not as healthy).

I steam it in the microwave with a light cover of olive oil. Hot and crisp is the way I like it. Sometimes I add melted cheese over it for a texture and taste contrast. I also take it chilled or at room temperature (raw).

As with most vegetables, if you boil it in water, you'll break down the fiber and dilute the nutrients out of the broccoli. Most vegetables will retain a great majority of their nutritional value if you only cook them to the point that they get hot through-and-through. More than that and you begin destroying the nutritional value of the vegetables.

Steam it in a pot designed for steaming vegetable.

Poor man's steam tray....

Ridged plastic bacon-tray for the microwave (Wal-Mart $10 or so)

Lay the broccoli on the ridges of the tray and put a couple of tablespoons of water over the vegetables. The water should distribute to the tray below the vegetables allowing for easy vaporization/steaming. Cover with a paper towel or paper napkin taking care to stay out of the water. Microwave for a couple of minutes and let stand to finish steaming.

Just one of the ways I do it - especially when I'm crunched for time.

BTW, a good cue to determine whether the broccoli is over-cooked or not is color. As long as the broccoli has a vibrant green color, it is still in good shape. When the broccoli starts dulling in color, it is getting over-cooked. Again, this is a good rule-of-thumb for all vegetables.

And of course, add salt and pepper to taste.

Poor man's steam tray....

Ridged plastic bacon-tray for the microwave (Wal-Mart $10 or so)

Lay the broccoli on the ridges of the tray and put a couple of tablespoons of water over the vegetables. The water should distribute to the tray below the vegetables allowing for easy vaporization/steaming. Cover with a paper towel or paper napkin taking care to stay out of the water. Microwave for a couple of minutes and let stand to finish steaming.

Just one of the ways I do it - especially when I'm crunched for time.

BTW, a good cue to determine whether the broccoli is over-cooked or not is color. As long as the broccoli has a vibrant green color, it is still in good shape. When the broccoli starts dulling in color, it is getting over-cooked. Again, this is a good rule-of-thumb for all vegetables.

And of course, add salt and pepper to taste.

LOL, dude, I don't cook in my $100 popcorn popper and pizza reheater. I use it only for what I just mentioned.

I eat most veggies raw or close to it; although, I have recently removed spinach from the lineup. I grill almost any meat or fish.

LOL, dude, I don't cook in my $100 popcorn popper and pizza reheater. I use it only for what I just mentioned.

I eat most veggies raw or close to it; although, I have recently removed spinach from the lineup. I grill almost any meat or fish.

Just an option for those who don't want to go out and buy a veggie/rice steamer. A decent retail steamer is only about US$90, but some people cannot afford such a luxury item.

I think the Multi-vitamin is good, hopefully it's got a good range of the usual ABCDE, Fs Iron, and K.
You can also augment the vitamins by eating more fruit, and greens/reds/yellows like tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, all great sources of antioxidants which are great cancer fighters. Also get some probiotics which are the good bacteria your stomach needs to digest and absorb all those nutrients well instead of them just passing thru the stomach before getting into the bloodstream. You can either eat a yogurt daily or get bottled Acidophious.

I also eat protein bars and drink either Myoplex, or Met-rx once a day which also contain tons of vitamins but they can be expensive, however if you look on line you can find them more reasonably priced than if you were to get them from GNC.

ps frozen brocoli and all frozen vegies are very healthy as they are frozen fresh with all nutrients intact.

It's always best to meet your nutritional needs with high nutrient density foods. Vitamin supplements are just that, supplements, not substitutes.

You are correct frozen is not as healthy as they boil it before freezing...the cost of fresh is probably cheaper also...what I reccommend is stir fry the brocolli in virgin olive oil Italian or Spanish both are good...stir with red onions minced fresh garlic and bacon bits...from time to time as your diet allows pour cheddar cheese sauce over the mix...if in a hurry and you don't want to make the cheddar cheese sauce yourself use campbells soup cheddar cheese sauce...not to bad! You can also use it fresh in a salad with Ranch dressing...mighty good too!

side note : to get natural anti-oxidants...eat cabbage and meat balls with Italian red sauce...tomatos and cabbage and onions are powerful anti-oxidants...as well as sweet tasting chocolate!

It's always best to meet your nutritional needs with high nutrient density foods. Vitamin supplements are just that, supplements, not substitutes.

Yes, they say that eating a balanced diet is the only thing you need. Still, I take a Centrum ever' now and then, and my wife gives me the fish pills. Fads seem to come and go, but the fish pills do come highly recommended.

It's probably not vitamins Americans need more of. It's fruits and vegetables, and less starchy white breads and fats.

Forum List

Back