Superpower

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I'm not a huge gamer, but I did pick this one up recently.

Superpower is a geo-political strategy game. It is based on the world as of 1997. You get to pick any country in the world (except the little dinky ones, like Luxemborg or the Marshall Islands) and lead it. You can choose your objectives, from staying in power (not easy if you pick a country like Liberia), eliminating rebel forces, or, of course, conquering the world. You can also choose a time frame of 1, 5, or 10 years, or an unlimited game. The game is over when a) you acheive your objective, or b) your government is overthrown.

The game is very detailed. You can raise taxes as needed, but you also have a budget to balance. There are secret services, research, military bases, diplomatic relations... lots to learn. If you are a political junkie and think that you could run a country better than other people could, this is a pretty good game.

The only weak point is doing battle. This is primarily a political/diplomatic game, so the battle fighting simulation looks like something you might find on an Atari 5200. However, there are nukes in the game, and you can nuke the world into oblivion. (I tried this once, and it admonished me for being such an idiot. And there were no cool pictures).

Overall: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

I tried the game, found it way to buggy! If you're looking for real grand strategy, I would whole-heartedly recommend playing Europe Universalis II, Victoria and Hearts of Iron for Paradox Entertainment. Check them out, they're amazing! Not to mention the amazing community and forums.

Hey, I've got Superpower.

It really is a difficult game to get into, and the graphics do suck when the battles are going - I mean, the little icons moving cheesily down the battle screen could have been improved upon.

But it is an interesting game.

You wanna try something cool, increase your Special Forces training time by double or more. I think I tripled or quadrupled mine. You really wait longer to get them, but wow!!

I was invading Cuba (Hey, Castro is the first bastard I'll take out when I'm elected) and I was just testing out the waters with my Spec Ops. That group took out 5,000 men! Quickly! I took out Cuba with like 3 or 4 Seal teams! LOL

I got admonished by the game for nuking Russia, too. Obviously the game creators don't like nukes. It really sucked, because nukes were still flying between USA and Russia, and suddenly Britain launched on China, Japan was nuking Italy, Brazil nuked France, and then things really got out of control. It was pretty funny. Everyone had nukes, and everyone was pushing that big red button.

I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Issac, are your games you're talking about along the lines of Civilization?

I keep wanting to really get into a game, but I think I am putting it aside for the time being. For Christmas, I asked for Madden 2004, NHL 2003, and American Conquestt Fights Back - a strategy/action game based on the New World, 1500-1820.

For Christmas, I asked for Madden 2004

This is probably the best-looking, most physically accurate football game Ive ever played. Very fun. There are a lot of interceptions on it though, so prepare to work on your running game or get really PO'ed.

Originally posted by Dan
This is probably the best-looking, most physically accurate football game Ive ever played. Very fun. There are a lot of interceptions on it though, so prepare to work on your running game or get really PO'ed.

I noticed the same thing in Madden 2002. So I just turned the interception probability rating from 50% to 10%. Keeps the number of interceptions at a more realistic level.

In Madden 2002, I took the Raiders in franchise mode. I have completed five seasons, and have won three Super Bowls.

That's a great thing about Madden, you can control everything. In '04, you can even change ticket prices and food prices and stuff. Kinda pointless, but cool.

It's not really pointless... you can increase your bottom line if you play it right. More money to attract better players, which increases demand for your tickets, which lets you charge higher prices, whcih gives you more money for better players... it's a vicious circle of capitalism within a football game! :)

Well, not 'pointless' per se, but... a little too extravagant for a football video game, y'know?

I'm still looking forward to winning the Super Bowl with the Houston Texans! And then charging Houstonians outrageous prices for tickets, and then only charging $2 for a beer!

I just picked up this game yesterday and it looks and plays pretty damn good. Whats missing is an online multiplayer aspect.

Superpower. Ahh, great game, I went for the conquest of North Africa when I was Egypt. Got it pretty quickly with my strategic conventional missiles. Ah, its so fun and cool.

4/5 stars, for me.

Forum List

Back