Superman!!!!!!

i was wondering when theyd go there. God with all the technological advances in movies it takes 30 years to get another Supes movie? Sorry Reeves but Superman needs his due.

It was in development hell for years. I can remember back in '97 or '98, Kevin Smith had written a Superman movie called Superman Lives. I read it and it's actually pretty awesome, takes the Superman story down a dark path, similar to Batman Begins. Anyway, Tim Burton was on to direct for a while, but one way or another (Smith swears it was a communication breakdown), Smith ended up trashing Burton because Smith wrote a comic version of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back years ago, and one sequence ended with monkeys taking over the world, and the final frame was a monkey headed Lincoln memorial. Smith said Burton stole this when he used it in Planet of the Apes.

So, that caused a huge rift between the two of them, Burton left the project, and that pretty much put the kaibosh (sp?) on it for a few years.

Dan said:
It was in development hell for years. I can remember back in '97 or '98, Kevin Smith had written a Superman movie called Superman Lives. I read it and it's actually pretty awesome, takes the Superman story down a dark path, similar to Batman Begins. Anyway, Tim Burton was on to direct for a while, but one way or another (Smith swears it was a communication breakdown), Smith ended up trashing Burton because Smith wrote a comic version of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back years ago, and one sequence ended with monkeys taking over the world, and the final frame was a monkey headed Lincoln memorial. Smith said Burton stole this when he used it in Planet of the Apes.

So, that caused a huge rift between the two of them, Burton left the project, and that pretty much put the kaibosh (sp?) on it for a few years.

Good cause im not a real huge fan of Burton. He is too twisted.

Good cause im not a real huge fan of Burton. He is too twisted.

I think his take on Superman would've been a little too much like his take on Batman. Really, the majority of his movies are all kinda/sorta the same: there's a guy who basically lives by his own rules, but mainly just wants to be accepted (Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Ed Wood, Jack Skellington, Pee-Wee, the father in Big Fish). And, I think this is kind of Burton's feelings about himself versus the world around him.

I will say, however, that Ed Wood is an amazing film, and Big Fish was one of the more moving films I've seen in the past few years. I honestly like pretty much all of his stuff (Planet of the Apes I didn't like, but I didn't like the original, either).

But, since we're talking about it, I gotta tell you, if you're a fan of Superman, you should really check out Kevin Smith's Superman Lives script, it's an amazing interpretation of the Superman story, and it's pretty readily available online, or at least it was a few years ago.

Forum List

Back