Superman threatens to renounce US citizenship

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Superman threatens to renounce US citizenship | Books | guardian.co.uk

Conservative commentators and bloggers react with disgust to the DC Comics superhero's decision

After years of declaring he stood for "truth, justice and the American way," Superman has provoked the ire of rightwingers by threatening to renouce his US citizenship.

In the latest issue of Action Comics, which went on sale on Wednesday, the Man of Steel decides to take the step after he intervenes in a protest against the Iranian government.
<more>

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUT9KQ-LuaU&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - The Kinks - Superman[/ame]

Needless to say, I'm astounded with DC's decision to do something so fucking stupid. Not surprised as they are populated almost exclusively by NYC Liberals.

We do have to remember Superman is an illegal immigrant though. If his parents came with, he'd have been an anchor baby. Did Superman go through immigration?

DC now stands for Dumbass Commies.

Yes, I know I'm being extreme and off the wall, but this is a stupid move by DC and the writers who thought this was a 'good idea' worthy of being mocked and hard.

Mebbe dying gave him brain damage.

This doesn't surprise me. Back in my youth I used to LOVE DC comics. I could never get into the Marvel Universe because nothing was ever consistant. The good guys were bad guys who were really good guys from some alternate universe. It just never made any sense to me. Whereas the DC comics (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc....) all had pretty solid, understandable, Good v Evil storylines. With the recent successes of Marvel based movies and the like, it was almost inevitable that DC would shake up its lineup. First the changes to Wonder Woman, which disgusted me and now this. I don't read any of the books seriously anymore, but this will keep me from reading ANYTHING that DC puts out if they go through with it. Just as Marvel's killing of Cap (one of only two Marvel characters I've ever liked... Deadpool being the other) turned me off to ever reading any of their work again.

Superman has officially Jumped The Shark.

DC now stands for Dumbass Commies.

Yes, I know I'm being extreme and off the wall, but this is a stupid move by DC and the writers who thought this was a 'good idea' worthy of being mocked and hard.

It's all about being PC. That's been DC's way of doing things the last couple years. The changes with Batgirl and the horrific remodeling of Wonder Woman. The horrific garbage that has passed for the last couple of Batman films. Now this. It's all about losing their "hokey, good v evil, black & white, simpleton" label that they've had for years. What they don't realize is that many of us read their work rather than the Marvel stuff specifically FOR that reason.

i know it's weird to think about, but say there was a near omnipotent being living in the united states.

now suppose he did do something like protect protesters in tehran, or intervened in the georgia/russia debacle, or say he scooped up the failing reactors in japan and tossed them into space before things got worse...

don't you think those respective countries would take issue with that? and can't you see potential fall out for the United States.

i don't see it as a "PC" move (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) but rather as an acknowledgement of the real world and a more sophisticated look at the universe Superman inhabits.

Well it kind of makes sense if you think about superman and his self stated mission is. To protect the earth is his mission and that was always done from the US because it was written here. To think he would specifically renounce his citizenship means he is about to do something that will effect the globe for good or bad, and he probably doesn't want the US to take flack for it. Just one possibility imo. He could also have decided that the American way needs to go abroad and perhaps it be done forcibly in some cases. Perhaps he is beeing seen as a tool of the US and he wants people to know that these ideals are good no matter if they are the ways of the US or not. Lets not condem him just yet.

i know it's weird to think about, but say there was a near omnipotent being living in the united states.

now suppose he did do something like protect protesters in tehran, or intervened in the georgia/russia debacle, or say he scooped up the failing reactors in japan and tossed them into space before things got worse...

don't you think those respective countries would take issue with that? and can't you see potential fall out for the United States.

i don't see it as a "PC" move (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) but rather as an acknowledgement of the real world and a more sophisticated look at the universe Superman inhabits.

As I was saying earlier, the difference between DC and Marvel USED TO BE that the DC Universe incorporated the ideas of Right and Wrong, Good and Evil, etc.... as stock concepts whereas Marvel's Universe was the ultimate exploration of social, moral, and cultural relativism. That's why a lot more young people like(d) Marvel and the older people tended to like DC better. Well, morals, values, and the ideals that the DC books were built around don't sell as well anymore and when DC has tried to incorporate a bit more "edge" they've screwed it up (see Cassandra Cain as Batgirl) time and again. So to try and get back market share they're having to give up the ideals and values and move more into the cultural relativism that Marvel has been using for years. The prime example of this is the remodeling of Wonder Woman's costume.... it was too chauvanistic and exposing so they turned the character's look totally inside out and so far as I'm concerned destroyed the character in doing so.

Well it kind of makes sense if you think about superman and his self stated mission is. To protect the earth is his mission and that was always done from the US because it was written here. To think he would specifically renounce his citizenship means he is about to do something that will effect the globe for good or bad, and he probably doesn't want the US to take flack for it. Just one possibility imo. He could also have decided that the American way needs to go abroad and perhaps it be done forcibly in some cases. Perhaps he is beeing seen as a tool of the US and he wants people to know that these ideals are good no matter if they are the ways of the US or not. Lets not condem him just yet.

"Truth, Justice, and The American Way." Despite what the God-awful movie editors did to the line, THAT is what Superman is supposed to stand for. Kinda hard to do that when you're traveling on a UN passport, Mr. Kent.

the storyline is built around fallout for his protection of protesters in iran. the iranian govt sees it as a declaration of war from the u.s.

Who cares?

But, I wonder where DC Comics is planning on taking that storyline.

Immie

Forum List

Back