Superior Culture?

I think there is a difference between weighing cultures and evaluating them strenuously based upon their treatment of other humans, and taking a further step to wipe out a particular culture.

I can say: "Islam, as it presently exists, is inferior to a culture that promotes tolerance of all faiths, the rule of law, and fair treatment of women," without deciding to go to war with Islam. Wind is relying upon the slippery slope fallacy. Recognizing that one form of behavior is superior to another, or more productive, or more humane, does NOT necessarily equate to destroying less humane cultures.

An alternative method would be, for instance, to fund programs that promote female education and economic independence in these countries, such as programs that are currently funded by the UN.
We are tending to agree for the most part, I was the one that projected the superior argument to the destruction of others. I again say what you believe is your right just as what others believe is their rights. There is a line though of basic human rights that to this day can not be defined by more than a handful of people at a time.

I think the key is in creating democracies where the rights of the minorities are protected, and fighting theocracy, in all forms.
A pure democracy does not protect the rights of the minorities.

As someone who had problems with being labeled by Christians because of her atheism, you should think twice before labeling Muslims or confusing a religion with political and enthic issues.
Unfortunately the ethnic and religion go hand in hand in the Middle East.

Would that include the UK? The UK is a theocracy.
I agree that democracy is the best way we can come up with for governing a nation and am anti-theocratic but it does exist in near harmless forms.
I thought the UK is a Monarchy ???????

When did we invade South Africa again, I seem to have missed that.

I've never pushed for invading for cultural reasons. I do push for recognizing that some of these cultural beliefs are inhumane, and people need to have a way out. Economic sanctions may also play a role, as they did with S. Africa.

Source for this claim? Are you suggesting that I've had problems with being labeled by Christians?

First, i'm not an atheist. Secondly, I think you've mistaken me for someone else. I've lived as a person of a minority faith for much of my life, first as a Southern Baptist living in Utah, for ten years, and then, as an agnostic living waaaayyyy below the bible belt for the past 9 years. I understand the need for the rights of minority faiths to be protected. I also know that much of what some of these groups do is detrimental to society as a whole.

Consider the polygamist sects in Texas, Arizona, and Utah. Are you suggesting that we should allow girls to be married off at 14 to men in their fifties because "that is their culture"? I'm sorry...treating women like second-class citizens, marrying off children to pedophiles is an inferior and barbaric form of behavior.

As far as being atheist I must have you confused with another poster.

I have no idea why you want to portray me as some one who approves of marrying children to old men or men or boys of any age.

Why do you equate a Mormon Splinter group with one of the world's largest and fastest growing religions?

Yoi need to do some more research before you start passing yourself off as an expert on Islam.

I have no idea why you want to portray me as some one who approves of marrying children to old men or men or boys of any age.

Did I do this? I provided you with a corresponding example of cultural superiority/inferiority.

Why do you equate a Mormon Splinter group with one of the world's largest and fastest growing religions?

Because they have similar values and represent cultures which are outside of the mainstream, and in many cases, are essentially incompatible with modern western culture.

Yoi need to do some more research before you start passing yourself off as an expert on Islam.

Please feel free to link the post where I did this. Thanks much.

Unfortunately the ethnic and religion go hand in hand in the Middle East.

First of all the Middle East has many ethnicities and social classes. Second, Islam has spread the world over.

I thought the UK is a Monarchy ???????

The Monarch is also The head of the Anglican church which is the state religion.

Did I do this? I provided you with a corresponding example of cultural superiority/inferiority.

Because they have similar values and represent cultures which are outside of the mainstream, and in many cases, are essentially incompatible with modern western culture.

Please feel free to link the post where I did this. Thanks much.

Oh I see .... another bigot.

Move along now.

Next in line please.

Move along now.

Next in line please.

Please, feel free to explain this comment. I'm dying to hear it. In what way do you consider me bigoted? Do you consider me anti-religious, or am I some sort of cultural bigot?

Move along now.

Next in line please.

Is this anguille-speak for "I was just pwned by your superior reasoning skills"? If so, I may have to learn to take "bigot" as a compliment when it is uttered by folks like you. ;)

First of all the Middle East has many ethnicities and social classes. Second, Islam has spread the world over.
Hummm and I thought the common theme in the Mid East was the religion Islam which crosses the social classes. I picked the Mid East because it is so overwhelmingly Muslim as compared to the rest of the commonly known world.

The Monarch is also The head of the Anglican church which is the state religion.
My bad so the Queen goes to services every Sunday and actually gets on the pulpit and delivers a message to the masses? Wait a sec if it is theocracy then why are there Catholics and Muslims in country?

I am not mistaken at all. I am pointing out that they are indoctrinated into a very controlled life, for better or worse. I do find it hard to believe that forced genital mutilation is right. I do find that arranged marriages are wrong, especially when it is for money and/or power. As long as there is informed consent between adults they may do or not do as they please. I do find that being told that you are going to marry that is not of your choosing to be very wrong. By the way, do you expect the man to also be a virgin on the wedding day?

you don't young American girls are controlled and indoctrinated to turn against the natural state of a woman into a thong up the ass bumping and grinding.. baby aborting.. sex in the city,,L word watching whores ?

you don't young American girls are controlled and indoctrinated to turn against the natural state of a woman into a thong up the ass bumping and grinding.. baby aborting.. sex in the city,,L word watching whores ?

Might I ask what the "natural state of a woman" is? It wouldn't be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen, would it?

You evaded my question about men. Try again.

It is the parents responsible for indoctrinating their children not mass media.

You evaded my question about men. Try again.

It is the parents responsible for indoctrinating their children not mass media.

bullshit it is..unless your living on a LDS compound...and the natural state of a woman is maternal..and its not having 3 marriages and 50 sex partners. aborting her children.and ending her life living alone with a cat and some girlfriends...that has been programmed by design

Hummm and I thought the common theme in the Mid East was the religion Islam which crosses the social classes. I picked the Mid East because it is so overwhelmingly Muslim as compared to the rest of the commonly known world.

My bad so the Queen goes to services every Sunday and actually gets on the pulpit and delivers a message to the masses? Wait a sec if it is theocracy then why are there Catholics and Muslims in country?
A theocracy doesn't necessarily mean other religions are banned. It means the state has one religion as it's official religion. That can be applied in many ways. Check it out if you don't believe me.
I believe Indonesia might be a theocracy, Morocco too. Maybe Saudi Arabia. There are people of all faiths living in those countries. I only know about the UK because I was curious myself why it is called a theocracy.
The only country I know of to actually ban religion of any kind is Albania.

The idea that the UK is a theocracy is laughable. Someone doesn't understand power very well. If any doubt about UK, let's talk about HOW the Anglican Church was founded. :rolleyes:

The fact that there is a state church really has little to do with whether or not the state is ruled by a theocracy. Iran is a theocracy.

Forum List

Back