Superintendent Gets $1 Million Retirement Package

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
n 2007, the Wayne Township School Board and then-Superintendent Terry Thompson agreed to a renegotiated contract that provided a generous retirement package for whenever Thompson decided to step down.

But it wasn't until this month that board members realized just how lucrative that deal was, to the tune of more than $1 million.

Thompson, 64, who retired in December after 15 years with the district, already has received more than $800,000 of his retirement deal, which included a year's base pay at more than $225,000, as well as contract provisions that kicked in hundreds of thousands more.

But that's not all.

The contract also created the position of superintendent emeritus -- a position that has been paying Thompson $1,352 a day since his retirement to advise his successor, among other duties. That amount, over the 150 days laid out in the contract, would pay him more than $200,000 -- bringing the total to more than $1 million.

Wayne superintendent's $1M retirement package creates storm | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com

This is precisely why the U.S. spends more money on public education per student than any other nation in the world and why we get the least bang for our buck. When politicians talk about investing in education and needing more money for the schools, what they are really saying is more money for administrators and the greedy teachers' unions.

Nice work if you can get it, eh?

My last teaching post in the greater Boston area (1984) I made $18,000 a year for a 60 hour workweek.

Think I was overpaid?

Nice work if you can get it, eh?

My last teaching post in the greater Boston area (1984) I made $18,000 a year for a 60 hour workweek.

Think I was overpaid?

Back then? No. The cost of public education in this country has skyrocketed over the past few decades. I can understand higher costs due to higher technological advancements that really weren't around when I was a kid, like the Internet and such, but there is also a lot of waste. Suburban school districts in southeast PA, for example, are buying students laptops. The school district right here where I live in South Carolina bought kids iPods this year. How do iPods add to educational value. That is completely unnecessary and the kids aren't going to take care of them properly because they don't own them.

Then you have the bureaucracy and largess. I went to Boston Public Schools as a kid and we never had a teacher's aide when I was in school, yet today teachers act like they can't do their jobs without them. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools has seven assistant superintendents in the district. They spend $4 million a year on a media department for the public, not the children. Then of course there is the infamous teacher v Chris Christie viral video of that fat bitch complaining to him about how she shouldn't have to pay anything towards her health insurance because she ONLY makes $80,000 a year had to forego a raise this year.

Teachers have computers, the Internet, smart boards, teachers' aides, and much larger pay and benefits today than they've ever had and more money is spent on public education than ever in the history of this nation and the unions and the politicians act like it's not enough for them to do their jobs. The public is getting robbed plain and simple because somehow teachers have become some sort of protected aristocratic class that should be given carte blanche to what ever they want and anyone who has the gall to speak out against it is just against the children and public education. Bullshit.

n 2007, the Wayne Township School Board and then-Superintendent Terry Thompson agreed to a renegotiated contract that provided a generous retirement package for whenever Thompson decided to step down.

But it wasn't until this month that board members realized just how lucrative that deal was, to the tune of more than $1 million.

Thompson, 64, who retired in December after 15 years with the district, already has received more than $800,000 of his retirement deal, which included a year's base pay at more than $225,000, as well as contract provisions that kicked in hundreds of thousands more.

But that's not all.

The contract also created the position of superintendent emeritus -- a position that has been paying Thompson $1,352 a day since his retirement to advise his successor, among other duties. That amount, over the 150 days laid out in the contract, would pay him more than $200,000 -- bringing the total to more than $1 million.

Wayne superintendent's $1M retirement package creates storm | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com

This is precisely why the U.S. spends more money on public education per student than any other nation in the world and why we get the least bang for our buck. When politicians talk about investing in education and needing more money for the schools, what they are really saying is more money for administrators and the greedy teachers' unions.

Umm this is a CEO kind of thing Not a union thing.

But that's not all.

I didn't say it was.

But that's not all.

First let's wade through the habitually fuzzy math, and add a few facts:

1. With 15 years experience as Superintendent, the guy probably only worked 150 days a year BEFORE he retired, so getting $200,000 for consulting during his first year of "retirement," really means he is not retired that year.

2. $220,000 is not a huge salary for a metropolitan school superintendent. It is not unusual for those working in education to receive 100% of their salary after working within the same STATE for 30+ years. Thompson worked 42 years in education

3. $1,000,000 -220,000-200,000 = $580,000, the guy's ACTUAL BONUS

Outcry Over $500K Payout Prompts Call For Resignation

The only part I have a problem with it the 15 large for retirement planning. Id say he had the heist pretty well planned out he just had to get the stooges to sign on without reading. He did and the deal is done.
The Lesson
READ THE BILL.

But that's not all.

1. With 15 years experience as Superintendent, the guy probably only worked 150 days a year BEFORE he retired, so getting $200,000 for consulting during his first year of "retirement," really means he is not retired that year.

2. $220,000 is not a huge salary for a metropolitan school superintendent. It is not unusual for those working in education to receive 100% of their salary after working within the same STATE for 30+ years. Thompson worked 42 years in education

Right there is the problem, IMO. While I'm not for going back to the days educators were paid poverty wages, $225k seems like an awful lot of money when the median household income is only about $52k.

(That's the 2008 figure, the most recent I could find from a reliable source: USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau )

I didn't say it was.

You threw unions in the statement right along with it.

"what they are really saying is more money for administrators and the greedy teachers' unions."

Right there is the problem, IMO. While I'm not for going back to the days educators were paid poverty wages, $225k seems like an awful lot of money when the median household income is only about $52k.

(That's the 2008 figure, the most recent I could find from a reliable source: USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau )

Is the Median Houshould Earner Administering an annual budget of $130 million for 8,000 students?

BTW if you follow that link, and scroll to the bottom of the budget, you'll see that none of the administrators make anything close to $52K/yr. The lowest paid administrator makes something like $76K/yr

Last edited:
I didn't say it was.

"what they are really saying is more money for administrators and the greedy teachers' unions."

The superintendent is an administrator. Administrators and teachers unions are where all of this extra funding they "need" always ends up going to.

Here is the Budget for the Wayne Township School System

Operation Costs are about $130 million/yr

General Administrative costs are $1.3 million/yr, or about 1% of the operational costs of the district.

The superintendent is an administrator. Administrators and teachers unions are where all of this extra funding they "need" always ends up going to.

General Administrative costs are $1.3 million/yr, or about 1% of the operational costs of the district.

What does that have to do with my comment?

What does that have to do with my comment?

It proves you are a retard.

Forum List

Back