SuperBowl Memories

Discussion in 'Sports' started by -Cp, Aug 18, 2006.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    The Pulse: Unnecessary Officiating

Upon further review, SportsNation finds insufficient reason to get excited about the Pittsburgh Steelers winning Super Bowl XL in Detroit on Sunday.

By beating the Seattle Seahawks 21-10, the Steelers gave Jerome Bettis the perfect parting gift as the burly running back heads into retirement. The Steelers also became just the third franchise to win a fifth Super Bowl, although SportsNation voters still rank them behind the San Francisco 49ers and Dallas Cowboys for dominance during the Super Bowl era.

But while Pittsburgh fans can revel in the moment of Antwaan Randle El's strike to Hines Ward and savor the historical significance of Ben Roethlisberger's first title, most of SportsNation appears a little put out with Sunday's show (and not just the part involving the Rolling Stones). More than half of SportsNation voters didn't enjoy the game and nearly 62 percent think officiating mistakes affected the outcome.

Did you enjoy the Super Bowl this year? (18,231 votes)
    52.1% No
    47.8% Yes

Seattle Forecast

Will fans in Seattle have to wait another generation for a second chance at the Super Bowl? The Seahawks rank behind only the Steelers, Colts and Patriots in the early voting for Super Bowl XLI, but 57% of voters don't think Matt Hasselbeck will play in another Super Bowl, and 61% don't think Mike Holmgren will get back there with the Seahawks.

Do you think officiating mistakes affected the outcome of Super Bowl XL? (103,167 votes)
    61.7% Yes
    38.2% No

Which is the best franchise of the Super Bowl era? (53,176 votes)
    30.1% San Francisco 49ers
    23.4% Dallas Cowboys
    21.5% Pittsburgh Steelers
    15.5% New England Patriots
    9.2% Green Bay Packers

What was the biggest play of the game? (54,243 votes)
    40.1% Antwaan Randle El's TD pass to Hines Ward
    30.4% Willie Parker's 75-yard TD run
    14.6% Ben Roethlisberger's disputed TD run
    12.0% Matt Hasselbeck's interception in fourth quarter
    2.3% Seahawks wasting time on final drive of first half
    0.6% Hasselbeck's fumble in the fourth quarter

Inside the Story: 14 Points of Contention
    Did Roethlisberger get in?
    Mike Holmgren told a crowd in Seattle that the Seahawks had to battle the officials just as much as the Steelers, and as mentioned above, two out of three SportsNation voters think the guys in striped shirts affected the outcome of the game.

So exactly what is the source of all this grumbling? Start with a pair of contested touchdowns.

With the game awaiting its first score, Seattle receiver Darrell Jackson appeared to haul in a touchdown to top off his active first quarter. But the points came off the board when Jackson was flagged for pushing off on the defender as Matt Hasselbeck scrambled away from pressure. Offensive pass interference? Not according to 74 percent of SportsNation voters.

Later in the first half, Ben Roethlisberger put the Steelers ahead to stay with a one-yard touchdown plunge. Or did he? The official who signaled for the score at first appeared to be spotting the ball short. And while 15 percent of voters admit they're still not sure if the ball ever broke the plane, 59 percent say the call, and the subsequent instant replay, got it wrong.

Which played the biggest role in determining the outcome of the game? (118,130 votes)
    57.5% Officials missing calls
    28.3% Seahawks not making plays
    14.2% Steelers making plays

What grade would you give referee Bill Leavy's officiating crew for Super Bowl XL? (118,130 votes)
    50.6% F
    24.8% D
    13.9% C
    8.8% B
    1.9% A

Do you think the official made the right call on Darrell Jackson's offensive pass interference in the endzone, negating a Seattle touchdown in the first quarter? (118,130 votes)
    73.8% No
    20.5% Yes
    5.7% I'm not sure

Do you think the football broke the plane of the goal line on Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown run in the second quarter? (118,130 votes)
    59.3% No
    25.9% Yes
    14.8% I'm not sure

Do you think the official made the right call on Sean Locklear's holding penalty in the fourth quarter, negating an 18-yard reception to the one-yard line by Jerramy Stevens? (118,130 votes)
    74.3% No
    15.3% Yes
    10.4% I'm not sure

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=thepulse060206

2. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    The refs did help the Steelers win the game.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Obviously written by someone who wasn't around in the 70s, and saw the Steelers of that era play. Two of their Superbowl wins came at the Cowboys' expense, so so much for ranking them higher, and no way were the 49ers better when you compare the opposing teams in the Superbowls. That's revisionist history and wishful thinking, plain and simple.

"The refs helped the Steelers win" sounds like sour grapes to me. Using THAT standard, the refs help EVERY winner of EVERY game, excluding flat-out squash matches.

The Steelers capitalized on the breaks they got. That's the difference between the winners and losers of EVERY game in ALL competitive sports.

4. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I am not a Steelers fans, but the refs were not watching the same game I was.

I did not have a team in the game, but the refs really blew it.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    ANd when don't they? To single this one game out as somehow different than any other is BS, IMO. In fact, I have gotten on a roll a couple of times and sent nastygrams to both the NFL and NBA accusing them of getting their officials from the WWE.

I used to love pro football and if it was on, I was watching it. Now, if I'm not busy, I might watch the Cowboys game, or part of it. When footbal games became more about the officials than the players or the game, it kind of sucked the life out of it for me.

6. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Anyone that still frets over the last Superbowl game in AUGUST needs to get a life. 21-10 WAS IT, cp?:poke: :rotflmao:

9. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770