Super Size Me

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
The other day, a friend came over, saying he was renting a movie. When he got here, it was the fast food documentary film, "Super Size Me." I was quite taken aback until I remembered how liberal this guy was. I was under the impression that it was a "Mooresque" film about how large corporations are responsible for all of our problems, but I was sorely mistaken. It actually took a fair look at the fast food industry and its practices. They interviewed nutritionalists, doctors, lobbyists and other experts about the effects of fast food on the human body, the types of advertising used, and the change in portion sizes (the McDonald's "small" fries that come with a kid's meal used to be the only size and the super size drink is a full quart). The "meat" of the film, however, was their grand experiment. The producer went on a 30 day McDonald's binge. For 30 days, he ate three square meals a day, and didn't eat anything that was not from McDonald's. He also had at least one of everything on the McDonald's menu. During this time, he gained 25 (maybe 35, can't remember) pounds, suffered extreme (temporary) liver damage, showed symptoms of vitamen deficiency, and showed all the classic signs of a chemical addiction. His cholestoral also doubled, along with similar or worse increases in all of the "bad numbers," medically speaking. It took the better part of a year for him to fully recover. Now, he admits the experiment was a bit extreme, and most of the nutritionalists said that fast food once a week is acceptable, but then he reminds everyone that many people eat fast food quite regularly. The documentary also covers aggressive marketing techniques, such as McDonald's toys to hook children, media saturation, and good, 'ole fashioned up-selling

This documentary was quite informative, and while I'm not exactly revamping my diet, it has given me a new perspective. All in all, I'd give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. Most of its shortcomings come from the overall dullness of a documentary, though they do spice it up a bit.

Yes I saw it and I agree whole-heartedly. I think it was an excellent documentary and kudos to Morgan Spurlock on this work. I particularly found his interview on the DVD extras with the author of the book Fast Food Nation (sorry, can't think of the guy's name right now) VERY interesting.

The only thing that bothered me is that there is actually some healthy fare offered now in almost all of the fast food chains. I know this film had a big part to do with that, but some mention on the DVD extras would have been a good idea.

We are never going to get away from fast food, we are living in fast-paced times. But I think this film creates an importance awareness with consumers and, more importantly, a responsibility for the fast food corps. to offer healthy alternatives.
Thanks Morgan Spurlock!!!!!!! :bow3:
Michael Moore should take lessons from you on how to make a documentary that is actually based on facts (see "Farenhype9/11") !!!!!!! :whip:

Yea Fast food is terible for you my advice, don't eat it. I used to be a fast food junkie, now I don't eat it at all unless it's my only choice and I need to eat.

wolvie20m said:
Yea Fast food is terible for you my advice, don't eat it. I used to be a fast food junkie, now I don't eat it at all unless it's my only choice and I need to eat.

I think it's okay to eat it once in a while. I agree when I eat healthy I have more energy etc, but I do allow myself occasionally to have it and the good thing is fast food restaurants are offering better menus out of sheer necessity, and competition. I think it's more about portion control, as well.

Also the food quality of fastfoods isn't that great. I try not to eat redmeat except on rare occasions(gonna wait till I'm older). If you do though it's better to go with store bought meat. The common meat used by fast food is Class F meat. Terrible for you and real fatty.

It was funny how he would keep calling McDonalds for an interview and they never called him back... Go figure. It sucks too that our kids have to eat similar crap in school every day.

Forum List

Back