Super bowl TV ratings!! Kind of looks like the market, but they do not

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
upload_2018-2-5_12-8-10.png

take into the numbers of online streaming. Laura Ingraham kind of referred it was due to Trump and the kneelers, well I guess we should send her a graft.

View attachment 175039

take into the numbers of online streaming. Laura Ingraham kind of referred it was due to Trump and the kneelers, well I guess we should send her a graft.

You mean like a skin graft?

Your "graft" doesn't show ratings for this super bowl. It's an old "graft."

Because here is the "inconvenient truth":

Super Bowl Ratings Slip To 8-Year Low As Eagles Score Historic Win

That is HUGE. The ratings have been filling ever since Kap-per-nick decided to kneel. For the first time in super bowl history the price of a 30 second ad slot went DOWN a HALF MILLION DOLLARS.

Last edited:
View attachment 175039

NBC streamed the game for free. All you needed was Adobe Flash. That's what I did, and there are millions who have fired their TVs over recent years because of multitudinous media alternatives.

What does Laura Ingraham care about ratings anyway, unless she's buying or selling commercial time? :cuckoo:

View attachment 175039

Once AGAIN -- and we established this long ago --- TV ratings for everything have been in decline, including baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and even though it's not a sport, NASCAR. And those were the only ones I looked up.

What they all have in common is you don't need a TV to watch any of them any more. Simple as that.

View attachment 175039

Once AGAIN -- and we established this long ago --- TV ratings for everything have been in decline, including baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and even though it's not a sport, NASCAR. And those were the only ones I looked up.

What they all have in common is you don't need a TV to watch any of them any more. Simple as that.

It’s does seem like there is a cause and effect given all the options for viewing sports. NFL TV ratings are down, and I think a large reason is NFL red zone. If my team is not on and I am home watching, I watch red zone.

View attachment 175039

It’s does seem like there is a cause and effect given all the options for viewing sports. NFL TV ratings are down, and I think a large reason is NFL red zone. If my team is not on and I am home watching, I watch red zone.

Agreed, I know a few didn't watch it as their team was not in it. For us it was the last football game of the year, and our team was not in it, but most I know watched it, even though they bitched a mountain about the kneelers ever since Donald Duck , but they still watched it.

And that doesn't affect ratings. Obviously you've never been polled by Neilson. So quite the contrary, nothing has been "established" other than ratings are DOWN.

Nielsen adds digital TV ratings to account for cord cutters

So anyway, nice try. Bad ratings are bad ratings, even for streamers.

Last edited:
View attachment 175039

I don't know what "red zone" is but I agree about the personal investment. I watch if there's a team I have a historical investment in, otherwise I don't care to watch two irrelevant-to-me teams. Far as I remember I've watched Stupor Bowls when either the Iggles or the Saints were in it, the latter because I spent a dozen years in New Orleans.

But again, TV ratings are down across the board, it's not at all specific to football. Every sport that's on TV has been seeing it. We established this months ago when all this fake-news about kneeling was being pushed. It's just cherrypicking. Anybody could pick any other sport and make the same fake case showing the same "decline".

I believe Fox Sports just paid about a skillion bucks for the rights to Thursday Night football too. They wouldn't be making that investment if it wasn't going to return.

And that doesn't affect ratings. Obviously you've never been polled by Neilson. So quite the contrary, nothing has been "established" other than ratings are DOWN.

Nielsen adds digital TV ratings to account for cord cutters

So anyway, nice try. Bad ratings are bad ratings, even for streamers.

Trust me they're not "bad" ratings --- check out how much Tide spent on their commercials yesterday.

That is by the way the one and only function of ratings --- to set advertising rates. Ratings measure attention, period. They do not measure any kind of emotion. They CAN'T. It's simply and starkly a number of "how many eyeballs can you deliver". Doesn't matter how or why, just "how many".

So are you admitting that you were wrong and streaming is taken into account by Neilson?

My streaming of the game yesterday was on zero of the streaming services your link mentions.

So ------------- nope.

The same link also notes that neither YouTube nor Hulu have released their subscriber numbers.

Incidentally ---- broadcast ratings are a closely guarded, and expensive, industry secret. So I'm not sure what "numbers" we're even talking about here beyond pure speculation ---- from Laura Ingraham of all creatures.

Was the first Super Bowl I didn't watch since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago.
I only watched 3 games this season also.
I stopped enjoying the game. The NFL took the enjoyment out of it by adding so many new rules that you can rarely play more than 2-3 plays without a call. That and all of the reviews....it basically became an all day commitment to watch a single game now.
Screw it.

That is HUGE. The ratings have been filling ever since Kap-per-nick decided to kneel.

Agan that's a cute and cherrypicked fantasy for paranoiacs, but the facts are (a) NFL (and MLB and NBA and NHL and NASCAR) ratings had already been in decline, and Colin Kaepernick is not known to play baseball, basketball, hockey or drive a race car); and (b) nobody even knew that football games PLAYED a national anthem before some media gadfly started looking around (when he supposedly should have been standing at attention) and noticed Kaepernick sitting down --- which he'd already been doing --- and decided he could milk a "story" out of it and y'all gullibles sucked it up like candy.

So this fake causation is fuzzy logic that appeals only to such gullibles, who are all too willing to line up and follow orders on whatever media tells them to do. Which is sad.

Was the first Super Bowl I didn't watch since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago.
I stopped enjoying the game. The NFL took the enjoyment out of it by adding so many new rules that you can rarely play more than 2-3 plays without a call. That and all of the reviews....it basically became an all day commitment to watch a single game now.
Screw it.

That's too funny, and also bullshit.

Games used to have a half hour halftime, now its 12 minutes. Games used to be 3.5 to 4 hours, now they rarely exceed 3 hours and 15 minutes.

So games are actually shorter now than they ever were. So you are choosing not to watch for some other reason than "making it an all day commitment".

Screw it.

That's too funny, and also bullshit.

Games used to have a half hour halftime, now its 12 minutes. Games used to be 3.5 to 4 hours, now they rarely exceed 3 hours and 15 minutes.

So games are actually shorter now than they ever were. So you are choosing not to watch for some other reason than "making it an all day commitment".

I don't know what yesterday's halftime was but it seemed to go on forever. I used the time to watch the SNL sketch (twice) and make a dinner. And when I got done it still wasn't over.

But that's media hype for ya. Justin Timberlake, or Paul McCartney, or whoever, has as much to do with a football game as a national anthem does. That's what the mute button is for.

Halftime for the Super Bowl is always 30 minutes because of the half time performance on field.

View attachment 175039

I think if fans were not so burned out on New England there would have been more viewers.

The Eagles made it a great game. But nobody expected that.

View attachment 175039

Agreed, I know a few didn't watch it as their team was not in it. For us it was the last football game of the year, and our team was not in it, but most I know watched it, even though they bitched a mountain about the kneelers ever since Donald Duck , but they still watched it.

I USED to not care who was in it and would always watch it but since the cheatriots have tainted a great sport and i am sick of all this NFL relocation bullshit other the Rams going back to LA which was the ONLY moved justified, I am like you and those other few you know as well,if the Rams are not in it,I have no interest in the superbowl now.nor the other playoff games.Before I used to ALWAYS watch a lot of the playoff games even if it was not my team.

Forum List

Back