Super Bowl threatened by right to work in Indiana

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
The specter is being raised of a union picket line around the Super Bowl in Indianapolis. The fight in the Indiana legislature continues this year over Right To Work legislation tha led to Democratic legislators leaving the state to Illinois last year. They have already boycotted several sessions this year and after a deal to let the Dems add amendments it appeared it might pass but today the Dems walked out again and face $1000 a day fines.

The Unions are looking at picketing the Super Bowl if the fight is still on, may even picket it if the legislation passes. The key hangup is that the Dems want the the people to vote on it in November and the Repubs don't want the people to vote on it.

So if there is a picket line the question becomes, "Will the NFL players cross the picket line (it it comes to that) since they are a union and support the state unions?"

God forbid the SB gets cancelled! Our Republic would crumble! :uhoh3:

Go ahead and cancel the SB, see if I care.
But you watch Football MS, you're a hypocrite!
Yeah I watch the games, but the minute they're over I've forgotten about them. Football is no different than any other TV show for me. They don't send me a check so I don't care who wins.

But don't worry kiddies, your precious SB won't get cancelled. 2-3 million dollars per 30 second commercial pretty much guarantees the "show" will go on.

Prediction: NFL Commish or the Gov. will make announcement of a deal.

I think it will be funny if the unions cause it to be cancelled. People will really be compassionate to them then huh LOL . I think not ,they are a dying breed. People are tired of their tactics.

Last edited:
Not sure who owns the stadium...but I highly doubt the surrounding parking lot is "public property".....so I dont think a picket line will be allowed to form anywhere within the perimeter of the parking lot.

Furthermore...the stadium does not employ the players...so this is not the typical "crossing the picket line"...

I will say this, however....the NFL has nothing to do with what is going on in the state legislature....absolutely nothing...

So forming a picket line to disrupt the super bowl is designed to do nothing more than disrupt peoples lives that have nothing to do with what the unions are protesting.

Typical strong arm tactics by unions to get their way.

I bet one thing...and no, I dont have a link proving it...but I bet many of the people who will be attending the super bowl are union memebers...and I bet everyone of them will cross that line to watch the game.

If anything, a picket line at the Super Bowl will be an informational picket line, not a strike picket line.

And for those who decry picket lines as strong arm tactics or union thuggery, what were your thoughts about the owner's lock out of NFL players last year? Strong arm tactics? Thuggery?

Nice to see all that compassionate conservatism at work, bitching about how union guys better not fuck up their football game protesting for their rights or anything.

Here's a hint conz....if you don't LIKE being portrayed as being greedy assholes, don't ACT like one.

Right to work for less is a VERY BAD idea, I know I live in a state with right to work laws and you can be fired for any reason, anytime without repercussions.

I'd like to see the union thugs try and stop die hard football fans from seeing the Superbowl. The thugs would get their union asses kicked!

The Super Bowl is a big money maker in the USA. Bars, restaurants, grocery stores, electronics sales, advertising, alcohol...all enjoy a major sales bump because of this event. Probably not a smart approach to dismiss the potential cancellation as insignificant.

I'd like to see the union thugs try and stop die hard football fans from seeing the Superbowl. The thugs would get their union asses kicked!

Forget it. The Steelers aren't playing this year. Would you fear the wrath of a San Francisco 49ers fan?

your right on that. Steeler fans are very compassionate about their team.. The song IN AMERICA by Charlie Daniels band says it all.
from them sound up in Long Islandout to San Francisco bay, and ev'rything in between it is our home. and we may have done a
little bit of fighting amongst ourselves, but you outside people best leave us alone. 'Cause we'll all stick together, and
you can take that to the bank. that's the cowboys and the hippies, and the rebels and the yanks!you just go lay your hand on
a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and i think gonna finally understand.

GOO STEELERS!

Nice to see all that compassionate conservatism at work, bitching about how union guys better not fuck up their football game protesting for their rights or anything.

Here's a hint conz....if you don't LIKE being portrayed as being greedy assholes, don't ACT like one.

Right to work for less is a VERY BAD idea, I know I live in a state with right to work laws and you can be fired for any reason, anytime without repercussions.

Yes...and you can quit for any reason, anytime without repercussions.

Or are you saying that an Employee should have the right to quit anytime they want but an employer should not have the right to fire anytrome they want?

So you feel an employer who risks all to start a business is a seconde class citizen and should not be afforded the same rights to do as they please that an employee has?

Where is that equal?

Forget it. The Steelers aren't playing this year. Would you fear the wrath of a San Francisco 49ers fan?

your right on that. Steeler fans are very compassionate about their team.. The song IN AMERICA by Charlie Daniels band says it all.
from them sound up in Long Islandout to San Francisco bay, and ev'rything in between it is our home. and we may have done a
little bit of fighting amongst ourselves, but you outside people best leave us alone. 'Cause we'll all stick together, and
you can take that to the bank. that's the cowboys and the hippies, and the rebels and the yanks!you just go lay your hand on

GOO STEELERS!
As I see it, the only logical team to root for in the Super Bowl this year is the New York Giants. No Steeler fan is cheering on either New England or, especially, Baltimore. San Francisco already has five Super Bowl wins and another would put them on par with the Steelers at six.

So, as a life long Steeler fan, a charter member of Franco's Italian Army, an acolyte of the sainted Myron Cope, I say go Giants!

GOO STEELERS!
As I see it, the only logical team to root for in the Super Bowl this year is the New York Giants. No Steeler fan is cheering on either New England or, especially, Baltimore. San Francisco already has five Super Bowl wins and another would put them on par with the Steelers at six.

So, as a life long Steeler fan, a charter member of Franco's Italian Army, an acolyte of the sainted Myron Cope, I say go Giants!

As a die hard Giant fan for the better part of 50 years.....I bow down to you.

Go Big Blue!

Union members built downtown Indianapolis so what lets just destroy downtown and let the non union scabs build it and see how fast the buildings crumble. Lets all work for $10 hr how poor!

Not sure who owns the stadium...but I highly doubt the surrounding parking lot is "public property".....so I dont think a picket line will be allowed to form anywhere within the perimeter of the parking lot.

Furthermore...the stadium does not employ the players...so this is not the typical "crossing the picket line"...

I will say this, however....the NFL has nothing to do with what is going on in the state legislature....absolutely nothing...

So forming a picket line to disrupt the super bowl is designed to do nothing more than disrupt peoples lives that have nothing to do with what the unions are protesting.

Typical strong arm tactics by unions to get their way.

I bet one thing...and no, I dont have a link proving it...but I bet many of the people who will be attending the super bowl are union memebers...and I bet everyone of them will cross that line to watch the game.

The Players union stance on the legislation.
NFLPA STATEMENT ON SO-CALLED ‘RIGHT-TO-WORK’ LEGISLATION IN INDIANA

WASHINGTON—As NFL players, we know our success on the field comes from working together as a team. We’re not just a team of football players—we’re also the fans at games and at home, the employees who work the concession stands and the kids who wear the jerseys of our favorite football heroes. NFL players know what it means to fight for workers’ rights, better pensions and health and safety in the workplace.

To win, we have to work together and look out for one another. Today, even as the city of Indianapolis is exemplifying that teamwork in preparing to host the Super Bowl, politicians are looking to destroy it trying to ram through so-called “right-to-work” legislation.

“Right-to-work” is a political ploy designed to destroy basic workers’ rights.
NFL Players Association Puts Out Statement Against Indiana's 'Right-to-Work' Agenda | The Nation

I think it will be funny if the unions cause it to be cancelled. People will really be compassionate to them then huh LOL . I think not ,they are a dying breed. People are tired of their tactics.

The decline of the unions has coincided with the decline of the American middle class.

it's not a coincidence.

The Dems run again, I hope they protest the superbowl, it'll be another nail in their coffin...of defeat that is :cool:

Forum List

Back