Sunnis call Iraq vote illegitimate

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by dilloduck, Feb 2, 2005.

1. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
  3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Not really--Sunnis refusing to vote and then bitching about the results just confirmed it. Was Carville over there running the Sunni campaign ?

4. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    So let me get this straight...Sunnis call the vote illegitimate not because of fraud or coercion or brutality....but because Sunnis didn't vote. Wow.

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    hey if you don't like the results....bitch....if you cry long enough you will eventually get someone to to take pitty on you then you can fuck them

6. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
  7. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    http://ipsnews.net/interna.asp?idnews=27256

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nytimes...rk+Times&desc=U.S.+ENCOURAGED+BY+VIETNAM+VOTE

WASHINGTON, Sept. 3-- United States officials were surprised and heartened today at the size of turnout in South Vietnam's presidential election despite a Vietcong terrorist campaign to disrupt the voting. According to reports from Saigon, 83 per cent of the 5.85 million registered voters cast their ballots yesterday. Many of them risked reprisals threatened by the Vietcong.

The size of the popular vote and the inability of the Vietcong to destroy the election machinery were the two salient facts in a preliminary assessment of the nation election based on the incomplete returns reaching here. Pending more detailed reports, neither the State Department nor the White House would comment on the balloting or the victory of the military candidates, Lieut. Gen. Nguyen Van Thieu, who was running for president, and Premier Nguyen Cao Ky, the candidate for vice president.

A successful election has long been seen as the keystone in President Johnson's policy of encouraging the growth of constitutional processes in South Vietnam. The election was the culmination of a constitutional development that began in January, 1966, to which President Johnson gave his personal commitment when he met Premier Ky and General Thieu, the chief of state, in Honolulu in February.

The purpose of the voting was to give legitimacy to the Saigon Government, which has been founded only on coups and power plays since November, 1963, when President Ngo Dinh Deim was overthrown by a military junta. Few members of that junta are still around, most having been ousted or exiled in subsequent shifts of power…

Before the results of the presidential election started to come in, the American officials warned that the turnout might be less than 80 per cent because the polling place would be open for two or three hours less than in the election a year ago. The turnout of 83 per cent was a welcome surprise. The turnout in the 1964 United States Presidential election was 62 per cent.

now if history has ever repeated itself... bah why, do i even bother...

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

good question--Why ?

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    What an idiotic comparison.... but then again, we don't expect much from you.

10. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    showing your age again? :blah2:

yeah, i can't get an intelligent response from anyone but the admins. i think it's more to remind myself that i didn't vote for this mess, nor do i believe in the lofty dreams of a divided country reduced to rubble embracing a western loving democracy.

so the question is, when do we invade iran? are we going to pretend to set up a democracy there to? more to the point, who's going to pay for it?

i shoulda known better than to post during a night of chimp worship.