Sunday Session: Senate voting on amendments to H.R. 22

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
US Senate Debate Highway Funding Bill Video C-SPAN.org

(this link is likely to change in the next days)

2015-07-026 Senate vote ACA kill 1.jpg

2015-07-026 Senate vote ACA kill 2.jpg

Let's see what McConnell does after the procedural vote....

Just a reminder: the Republicans campaigned in 2014 on a clean-voting system, were they to be elected. They campaigned that they would eliminate "riders" to bills and and and all "pork". Well, this amendment is about the biggest "rider" I have ever seen.

Irony!!!

Last edited:
  • Banned
The NOs have reached 41 votes, which means that the amendment cannot mathematically pass, even if every other vote were to be a YEA:

2015-07-026 Senate vote ACA kill 5.jpg

Likely, McConnell has not voted yet. If I recall correctly, if McConnell deliberately votes NO, he can then reintroduce this amendment at a later date, lightly amended once again, for another vote. Harry Reid did this a number of times when he was Senate Majority Leader.

Last edited:
  • Banned
And the amendment just officially died:

2015-07-026 Senate vote ACA kill 7.jpg

The final vote was 49-43, I think. I looked away from the computer for a second. It may be 50-43.... am checking that, but it looks like 6 or 7 Senators either are not there or did not vote.

Last edited:
So, the long and short of this is that the amendment to kill Obamacare died in the Senate today, at least for now.
Whether or not McConnell wants to try a parliamentarian trick to get the amendment up for a vote again, this time under reconciliation, I don't know. Whatever happens, at least McConnell can claim that he tried.

The amendment to reauthorize the Export-Import Bank passed by a very wide margin.

Now, as to H.R. 22 in complete, I don't know, and since the Senate added one of two amendments successfully to the bill, should it pass the Senate, I do think that the House will have to vote on the Kirk amendment as well.

So, it may still be a while before this Bill makes it's way to President Obama's desk.

I believe it was Sen. Barrasso who just tried to put forth an amendment to the Highway Bill to completely defund Planned Parenthood. At first, the President of the Chamber called it out of order but then there were objections.

Correction: it may have been Sen. Lee.

He tried to put forth the same amendment that Cruz put up, which had already been shot down by McConnell.

Last edited:
US Senate Debate Highway Funding Bill Video C-SPAN.org

(this link is likely to change in the next days)

View attachment 45670

View attachment 45671

Let's see what McConnell does after the procedural vote....

Just a reminder: the Republicans campaigned in 2014 on a clean-voting system, were they to be elected. They campaigned that they would eliminate "riders" to bills and and and all "pork". Well, this amendment is about the biggest "rider" I have ever seen.

Irony!!!

the people who vote for them like lies

Forum List

Back