Sunday School is a War Zone

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
I'm already having a bad day. I got no sleep last night because my son was up 4 times with asthma attacks. Right before we walked out the door for church, the lady that alternates with me in the teen Sunday School called and said she wasn't going to make it today. SO I've got a room full of 13-15 year olds of both sexes, and no material prepared to keep their minds off each other.

There is one boy, in particular, who seems to crave love, but has pretty much NO moral compass. Whatever topic you bring up is sure to spark a story about how he "got in a fight with a dude over that, aight?" Or a story about his "pimping" accomplishments, complete with details. I'm trying to shut him up, set him straight, and keep some of the other kids' virgin ears pure all at once. But I feel so sorry for him. His home life "sucks, aight?"

I have a headache.

rtwngAvngr said:
You could play a rousing game of pin the tail on satan.

Actually, they still love Head's Up-7-Up...

Don't ask me why? :dunno:

mom4 said:
I'm already having a bad day. I got no sleep last night because my son was up 4 times with asthma attacks. Right before we walked out the door for church, the lady that alternates with me in the teen Sunday School called and said she wasn't going to make it today. SO I've got a room full of 13-15 year olds of both sexes, and no material prepared to keep their minds off each other.

There is one boy, in particular, who seems to crave love, but has pretty much NO moral compass. Whatever topic you bring up is sure to spark a story about how he "got in a fight with a dude over that, aight?" Or a story about his "pimping" accomplishments, complete with details. I'm trying to shut him up, set him straight, and keep some of the other kids' virgin ears pure all at once. But I feel so sorry for him. His home life "sucks, aight?"

I have a headache.

:wtf: This boy needs his butt spanked with a switch and make him read the Bible from cover to cover! :dunno:

archangel said:
:wtf: This boy needs his butt spanked with a switch and make him read the Bible from cover to cover! :dunno:
I think he gets his butt kicked regularly. I think everyone in his house does. His mother stabbed his step-dad a feww weeks ago.

rtwngAvngr said:
I remember that game. How does it work again?

Well I pick 7 kids to come to the front of the room. Everyone else has to put their heads down, with one thumb up. The 7 kids go and push down 1 kid's thumb. When all are back-the 7 chosen guess who put their thumb down. If they are correct, they take the place, if wrong, they play again from seat.

I make a rule that everyone must be chosen before picking one of the players. Don't want the 'weird' kids not playing.

Another thing to do in a group is have them write 2 nice things about the person to the right or left of them, then giving them to that person.

My own fault, really for having nothing prepared. The lady I share Sunday School duty with is bipolar. So she has "bad days" unlike any I've ever known. I know this; I know she is unreliable, and I still had nothing prepared. I had the month of Feb, and was looking forward to just sitting and listening to a sermon. It was laziness. My own fault.

mom4 said:
My own fault, really for having nothing prepared. The lady I share Sunday School duty with is bipolar. So she has "bad days" unlike any I've ever known. I know this; I know she is unreliable, and I still had nothing prepared. I had the month of Feb, and was looking forward to just sitting and listening to a sermon. It was laziness. My own fault.

Oh I've been there. Go to teacher's store and pick up, a 'Great book for Subs', there are tons of activities in those, including plenty that are 'team builders' so good for an angry boy like you described.

Kathianne said:
Oh I've been there. Go to teacher's store and pick up, a 'Great book for Subs', there are tons of activities in those, including plenty that are 'team builders' so good for an angry boy like you described.
Great idea!

I've got Taming a Liger, Unexpected Spiritual Lessons From Napoleon Dynamite. My husband is going to pick me up the N.D. DVD this week, and he said he'd let me bring his laptop in to show it. So I will have material ready in case the other lady bails again next week.

But that book sounds great. I want to try to sub for the public school when my baby starts school. I'm definitely interested in any tips.

mom4 said:
I think he gets his butt kicked regularly. I think everyone in his house does. His mother stabbed his step-dad a feww weeks ago.

In this case this kid should be reported to the authorities...this is one who should be placed in a Foster Home...even though some of them are just as bad! A real dillema here.... :huh:

archangel said:
In this case this kid should be reported to the authorities...this is one who should be placed in a Foster Home...even though some of them are just as bad! A real dillema here.... :huh:
:dunno: Where you would get that? He's 14-15 and attending Sunday School regularly, the parents are involved, if less than ideal. I know of few ideal families.

Kathianne said:
:dunno: Where you would get that? He's 14-15 and attending Sunday School regularly, the parents are involved, if less than ideal. I know of few ideal families.

I just interacted based on the statement the mother stabbed the father..and the kid braggs about pimping...if this is parent interaction...well hell...sure am glad my kids never attended this school...not to mention the bi-polar teacher... :scratch:

Kathianne said:
Actually, the parents don't bring him to Sun School. They NEVER go to church. But I don't think the parents kick the boys' butts. They just assault each other. Likewise, the boys seem to be responsible for beating each other up. It is a crazy and seemingly amoral home, but I don't think it has crossed the line of calling the authorities. The boys are clothed, fed, go to school most of the time. I think they get yelled at a lot, but, then, you should hear some of the things they do. The parents are constantly fighting with each other. It's not good, but, I'm not ready to call the authorities.

I guess it's just really an eye-opener for me. I never even THOUGHT of doing some of the stuff that these kids think is perfectly normal. Drinking, underage driving, gang membership & fights, constant fist fights. I haven't really heard anything about drugs. Yet. At least, not anything BLATANT. Man, I have never even taken a puff of a cigarette, much less pot, but I got a hint of that from them.

After class, I just hugged the kid and told him I wanted to take him home with me, bake him some cookies, and ground him forever. He said, "Aight, hey, you can ground me if I'm getting free food out of it! Know what I'm saying?"

It just breaks my heart.

archangel said:
I just interacted based on the statement the mother stabbed the father..and the kid braggs about pimping...if this is parent interaction...well hell...sure am glad my kids never attended this school...not to mention the bi-polar teacher... :scratch:
Archie, I don't think he means he's ACTUALLY pimping. I think it just means he "makes time" with a lot of girls. I think it's slang. I hope.

archangel said:

My bad, I missed the part on the stabbing. Still, I went to school with a kid that killed his father on the front lawn, with a steak knife. The father was a lawyer. The mother a doctor, had died. The step mother was also a doctor, the partner of the real mother. The father was a SOB. The kid was sent to psych hospital, the brother stayed home with the step mother. The stay at home brother is now a pretty famous doctor around here. The psycho brother is an accountant or something, married, with kids.

Not saying your wrong, but families are weird.

Kathianne said:
My bad, I missed the part on the stabbing. Still, I went to school with a kid that killed his father on the front lawn, with a steak knife. The father was a lawyer. The mother a doctor, had died. The step mother was also a doctor, the partner of the real mother. The father was a SOB. The kid was sent to psych hospital, the brother stayed home with the step mother. The stay at home brother is now a pretty famous doctor around here. The psycho brother is an accountant or something, married, with kids.

Not saying your wrong, but families are weird.

All I can add is I sure am glad I grew up in a moral and guilded environment...and passed it on to my kids...still I think this kid needs a referral...IMO

Heads up 7-up...ahh yes, grand times playing that game. I think we liked it cause someone goes out of their way to pick us. I almost always got picked. :D

I used to go to a sunday-school type thing. My last one was taught by a high school student, and there were about 6 other kids in there. Surprisingly, it was one of the best experiences I've had. Because the teacher didnt make us do worthless things like color a picture of Jesus or find the 8 hidden oil lamps in the picture. Instead we read and interpreted passages of the Bible, talked about good character, it was actually a lot of fun. So, Mom4, keep that in mind.

Semper Fi said:
Heads up 7-up...ahh yes, grand times playing that game. I think we liked it cause someone goes out of their way to pick us. I almost always got picked. :D

I used to go to a sunday-school type thing. My last one was taught by a high school student, and there were about 6 other kids in there. Surprisingly, it was one of the best experiences I've had. Because the teacher didnt make us do worthless things like color a picture of Jesus or find the 8 hidden oil lamps in the picture. Instead we read and interpreted passages of the Bible, talked about good character, it was actually a lot of fun. So, Mom4, keep that in mind.
Kind of what I have been doing, Semper. Thanks for the feedback!

Forum List

Back