Sunday School is a War Zone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nienna, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I'm already having a bad day. I got no sleep last night because my son was up 4 times with asthma attacks. Right before we walked out the door for church, the lady that alternates with me in the teen Sunday School called and said she wasn't going to make it today. SO I've got a room full of 13-15 year olds of both sexes, and no material prepared to keep their minds off each other.

There is one boy, in particular, who seems to crave love, but has pretty much NO moral compass. Whatever topic you bring up is sure to spark a story about how he "got in a fight with a dude over that, aight?" Or a story about his "pimping" accomplishments, complete with details. I'm trying to shut him up, set him straight, and keep some of the other kids' virgin ears pure all at once. But I feel so sorry for him. His home life "sucks, aight?"

I have a headache.

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    You could play a rousing game of pin the tail on satan.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually, they still love Head's Up-7-Up...

Don't ask me why? :dunno:

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I remember that game. How does it work again?

5. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :wtf: This boy needs his butt spanked with a switch and make him read the Bible from cover to cover! :dunno:

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I think he gets his butt kicked regularly. I think everyone in his house does. His mother stabbed his step-dad a feww weeks ago.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well I pick 7 kids to come to the front of the room. Everyone else has to put their heads down, with one thumb up. The 7 kids go and push down 1 kid's thumb. When all are back-the 7 chosen guess who put their thumb down. If they are correct, they take the place, if wrong, they play again from seat.

I make a rule that everyone must be chosen before picking one of the players. Don't want the 'weird' kids not playing.

Another thing to do in a group is have them write 2 nice things about the person to the right or left of them, then giving them to that person.

8. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    My own fault, really for having nothing prepared. The lady I share Sunday School duty with is bipolar. So she has "bad days" unlike any I've ever known. I know this; I know she is unreliable, and I still had nothing prepared. I had the month of Feb, and was looking forward to just sitting and listening to a sermon. It was laziness. My own fault.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Oh I've been there. Go to teacher's store and pick up, a 'Great book for Subs', there are tons of activities in those, including plenty that are 'team builders' so good for an angry boy like you described.

10. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Great idea!

I've got Taming a Liger, Unexpected Spiritual Lessons From Napoleon Dynamite. My husband is going to pick me up the N.D. DVD this week, and he said he'd let me bring his laptop in to show it. So I will have material ready in case the other lady bails again next week.

But that book sounds great. I want to try to sub for the public school when my baby starts school. I'm definitely interested in any tips.