Sums Up The Depth of Administration's Analysis of Public

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
They really believe that Americans are the most ignorant people on earth:

White House Haplessness, Summed Up in One Sentence - Joshua Green - Politics - The Atlantic

White House Haplessness, Summed Up in One Sentence

Nov 23 2010, 12:41 AM ET 60
From Marc Ambinder's report on the White House and TSA decision to "double down" on invasive and absurd junk pat-downs of toddlers, elderly, etc., despite national outcry and obvious foolishness of doing so:

In studying the media's coverage, officials have come to conclude that a slow news week, combined with the president's being overseas and Congress being out of session, created the perfect storm of bad coverage.

Yes, that's it. And when the criticism intensifies, maybe toss in a devastating reference to the "lamestream media" and really drive home that winning argument.

I wouldn't say Americans are the most ignorant people in the world. A certain type of American is ignorant compared to most other western countries...

And that would also fit for many in most other western countries...

I wouldn't say Americans are the most ignorant people in the world. A certain type of American is ignorant compared to most other western countries...

Not really. Most other western countries are a lot more worldly. In Europe alone, the whole continent is about the size of the US and had dozens of cultures and languages. NZ and Australia have one of the highest passport ownerships in the world - while the US has one of the lowest.

Not really. Most other western countries are a lot more worldly. In Europe alone, the whole continent is about the size of the US and had dozens of cultures and languages. NZ and Australia have one of the highest passport ownerships in the world - while the US has one of the lowest.

and you see no irony in your post, right?

I see it. :lol:

There is alot to be said of American Exceptionalism...too bad Obama and his merry band of thugs means to make us in the image of the EU.

Nope. Not at all...

Nope. Not at all...

i don't either.

dr gump have you ever been to the us...one thing about it...hard to see it all....europe is small....the us is not...and we have many diverse cultures and all...each region is different and unique in its own way...from the amish....or hassidics (sp?) to the pot farmers in california...

anyone thinking americans are cookie cutter people is sorely mistaken....a lot of americans simply prefer to travel american...

dr gump have you ever been to the us...one thing about it...hard to see it all....europe is small....the us is not...and we have many diverse cultures and all...each region is different and unique in its own way...from the amish....or hassidics (sp?) to the pot farmers in california...

anyone thinking americans are cookie cutter people is sorely mistaken....a lot of americans simply prefer to travel american...

That is true...yet you all have a lot in common with each other, too that is unique to the US - ie two political parties, a common language. If you asked somebody outside the US who Chris Mathews is, nobody would have a clue. The only reason I've heard his name is because you guys talk about him. I bet most Americans know who he is - ditto Beck and Hannity...hardly known outside your borders.

I've heard the old "we have many different cultures here" etc. however, most of you eat ethnic foods - Italian, Mexican, Chinese etc - so it's not like all these parts of the US are in a cultural vacuum.

Where you are in a vacuum is thinking outside the american way of thinking...ie - your ideas on freedom, guns, abortion etc...there seems no middle road, whereas in the rest of the western world, there are many...

and yes, I have been to the US on a couple of occasions - last time I counted have visited 30 countries...

o there is plenty of middle road...think of it this way....10 % of americans are always bitching.....10% are always happy....the middle 80% are just common people...striving to make a living and have a secure place to raise their families.. we are a vocal group...with a lot of bitching and whining....a contenious lot at best...as for the common elements that unite us..they are changing...i hardly find a unwillingness to compromise on freedom to be a fault....this country is getting ready to test that...what may seem silly to outsiders (tsa screening) is very serious for americans. this is a total invasion of our 'private space'..to be touched by a total stranger....personally i would breeze right thru the body scanner...but i would not like a pat down search...

i would love to travel to 30 countries....but i have a long list of places in the us i would like to see too

o there is plenty of middle road...think of it this way....10 % of americans are always bitching.....10% are always happy....the middle 80% are just common people...striving to make a living and have a secure place to raise their families.. we are a vocal group...with a lot of bitching and whining....a contenious lot at best...as for the common elements that unite us..they are changing...i hardly find a unwillingness to compromise on freedom to be a fault....this country is getting ready to test that...what may seem silly to outsiders (tsa screening) is very serious for americans. this is a total invasion of our 'private space'..to be touched by a total stranger....personally i would breeze right thru the body scanner...but i would not like a pat down search...

i would love to travel to 30 countries....but i have a long list of places in the us i would like to see too

Nailed on several fronts. Most important regarding first post, is the issue being a 'public relations' problem. The administration doesn't understand the thinking of most Americans, which has changed a bit over time since HLS was established:

TSA has met the enemy ? and they are us - U.S. news - Airliner security - msnbc.com

It's kind of sad when AP gets what the elected people don't, only concluding paragraphs quoted:

TSA has met the enemy — and they are us
Frustration with the federal agency is boiling over after nine years

The pushback against the body scanners and pat-downs shows the agency at its worst, Elliott said, issuing a policy that wasn't properly vetted or explained, but determined to defend it.

Growing dissatisfaction with TSA has even led some airports to consider replacing the agency with private screeners. Such a change is allowed by law, but contractor must follow all the security procedures mandated by the TSA, including body scans and pat-downs.

But frustration with the TSA was building even before the latest furor. In a December 2007 Associated Press-Ipsos poll asking Americans to rank government agencies, it was as unpopular as the Internal Revenue Service. Even so, a poll earlier this month by CBS News found 81 percent of Americans support the TSA's use of full-body scanners at airports. The poll, conducted Nov. 7-10, had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Elliott said that better communication would probably win the TSA more cooperation. But the pushback suggests that a growing number of consumers, particularly frequent travelers, are questioning the premise at the heart of the agency's existence.

"I think at some point Americans said to themselves, maybe in their collective subconscious...there's a line here where it's not just worth it anymore," he said. "There's a growing sense that that line has been crossed."

Forum List

Back