Suing Over Global Warming

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by red states rule, Jun 29, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Now some idiots are going to court over global warming. I wonder if Pretty Boy Edwards will take the case (for 50% of the take of course)

Don't like the heat? Try suing

Lawyers anticipate a rising sea of work tied to climate change

12:00 AM CDT on Monday, June 25, 2007
    By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News
    etorbenson@dallasnews.com

Think this global-warming controversy will blow over soon? The lawyers don't.

Top Dallas firm Thompson & Knight started a dedicated climate-change practice June 4 with 26 lawyers. Today, Dallas' Vinson & Elkins will unveil its 41-lawyer group, headed by a former senior counsel for the World Bank.

The law firms – and a dozen others nationwide – are getting ready for a predicted explosion of climate-related work tied to government regulation, lawsuits against energy companies and new markets that will trade the rights to emit carbon.

"We're not here to act as climatologists," said Thompson & Knight's climate chief, Scott Deatherage, though he has a degree in marine biology and knows plenty of the science behind global warming. "We're here to steer our clients through what is likely to be new regulation, and that's going to have risks and opportunities."

One potential opportunity is the $30 billion global market for rights to put carbon into the air; if the U.S. comes on board, the market could grow by $100 billion, and the credits are likely to become investments that draw Wall Street attention.

Vinson & Elkins' Christopher Carr, who helped the World Bank oversee its carbon finance unit, predicts a nationwide "cap" on carbon emissions in just a few years.

"It's not a question of if; it's when, and most importantly, how it will be set up," Mr. Carr said.

By their geography, the Dallas firms have a number of energy companies as clients. But they also expect to represent plaintiffs who've been harmed by global warming and pollution.

for the complete article

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...lawyers_25bus.ART.State.Edition2.4358ea8.html

2. SolarEnergy1

SolarEnergy1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25

Instead of saying America, we should now say "Earth, Love it or Leave it"
    I hear Mars is nice this time of year, maybe edwards and all the liberal crazies can be deported to mars or better yet pluto

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Oh, don't suggest Mars. It is experiencing global warming.

Link

4. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I dont want americans, running around like chickens with their heads cutt off, because of fear of global warming.

I believe we are expierencing climate change, and need to manage it, like you would diabetes, or cancer, with those, you wouldnt just do anything, you would think first, and do the best option.

where am i wrong here?

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230

Humans control climate?

6. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I am not saying we control climate, but that doesnt mean, we say, aww, who cares, lets not recycle, and pollute all we want, we cannot control it, but we can affect it through small, positive changes.

We dont want to make big drastic, not well thought through changes, that may not work anyway.

You fix a problem through thought, not through knee-jerking fear.

but we must admit their a problem too.

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You say we do not control climate,ok. Then sarcasticlly advocate recycling and reducing polluting, ok. Recycling and reducing pollution are good things.

If humans do not control climate how do we manage it?

8. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    here is what im saying: climate has been changing for thousands of years, humans cant stop it. We can make it better, or worse. let me give you an example.

The world, not just u.s., can become less dependant on oil, because since fossils fuels, greenhouse gasses, make the environment worse, we should try to cut them, as much as possible. I used the wrong word, we cannot really manage it, we can only contribute more or less pollution, and i say we contribute less. sorry about that.

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230

Agreed, being more fuel efficient and reducing pollution are great goals.

10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    We influence it. See acid rain for an obvious example. Or how fucking hot it gets in NYC for another example.