Suicide

This morning I intervened to prevent a friend of ours committing suicide. To shorten long complicated story, we and paramedics all ended up at the hospital.

The friend of ours, was shouting all sorts of abuse at us and the paramedics and then the nurses at hospital for having no right to intervene when they wanted to commit suicide and that it's their right to kill themselves if they want to.

I agree that everyone has right to self-determination and that it's your life, if you want to end it that's your right to do so.

However, this belief of mine went out of window, as I just didn't want a friend to kill themselves, because I'd never forgive myself for having NOT intervened and well I'd miss them.

So I feel like crap now, maybe I should have let them go, I don't know.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem
Nice sound bite, but it's a bit more complex than that for many people.

I agree...but it reflects the permanence of the solution while the problem may be short lived
True, but not everyone in that state feels it's a temporary problem.

This morning I intervened to prevent a friend of ours committing suicide. To shorten long complicated story, we and paramedics all ended up at the hospital.

The friend of ours, was shouting all sorts of abuse at us and the paramedics and then the nurses at hospital for having no right to intervene when they wanted to commit suicide and that it's their right to kill themselves if they want to.

I agree that everyone has right to self-determination and that it's your life, if you want to end it that's your right to do so.

However, this belief of mine went out of window, as I just didn't want a friend to kill themselves, because I'd never forgive myself for having NOT intervened and well I'd miss them.

Sounds to me like he was looking for someone to stop him.

If he was really determined, you wouldn't have known til the body was discovered

Oddly I went to their house and they didn't answer door or phone and I just felt something not right....without elaborating, we got into house and found them on verge of harming themselves.

Ok I will tell you...its creepy

My neighbors of 18 years were having family issues and the wife left the husband...A couple weeks later the father murdered the son for revenge....And I found them by mistake...:omg:

They were really really wealthy, so the news hit everywhere.

The son had fought cancer and won 2 times..

There is a movie about it, they wanted to interview me but I said no, because it was for their own profit..

I have to look at that house everyday..And it wasn't for his cancer..he killed him for revenge..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/behind-mansion-walls-father-murder-suicide-cancer-
video_n_1736025.html

You did the right thing..

Here is the video of the movie that made of my neighbors...so sad...... and they have me dressed with a tiger shirt on...I would never wear a tiger shirt..lol .

Simply terrible

Get some physical contact from a loved one. Hugs. Make love. Reminders of life. Watch children play. Massage.

I just hope our friend understands, right now they aren't in right mind, when they get sort of with the programme again, I hope they understand why I needed to do what I needed to do.
Was your friend psych hospitalized? I hope so.

I just spoke to the Doctor who's in charge of situation. I want to see if our friend has calmed down and things, the Doctor says that we should wait until Saturday, then we can visit, from now until then I suppose observation, assessment and probable medication etc to be decided.

Today I think has been Mr. Lucy's shortest working day. He was in his Consulting Rooms at 9.15am, he saw his first patient at 10am....who turned out to be his only patient today....then by 11.15am, I'd phoned him from hospital and he was in car en route to the chaos.

I lost my older brother that way, but he was far away and it was quick. Of course I would have tried to stop him. If you do nothing and they kill themselves you will always play what if games in your head. Suicide effects everyone around you but they can't weigh all the consequences or put it in perspective. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

US suicide rate highest in 30 years...

US suicide rate surges, particularly among white people
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 - The suicide rate in the US has surged to its highest level almost three decades, according to a new report.
The increase is particularly pronounced among middle-age white people who now account for a third of all US suicides. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report did not offer an explanation for the steep rise. However, other experts have pointed to increased abuse of prescription opiates and the financial downturn that began in 2008 as likely factors. The report did not break down the suicides by education level or income, but previous studies found rising suicide rates among white people without university degrees. "This is part of the larger emerging pattern of evidence of the links between poverty, hopelessness and health," Robert D Putnam, a professor of public policy at Harvard, told the New York Times.

_89400193_istock_000083297685_medium.jpg

Public health officials are alarmed by the steep rise suicides​

CDC reported on Friday that suicides have increased in the US to a rate of 13 per 100,000 people, the highest since 1986. Meanwhile, homicides and deaths from ailments like cancer and heart disease have declined. In the past, suicides have been most common among white people, but the recent increases have been sharp.

The overall suicide rate rose by 24% from 1999 to 2014, according to the CDC. However, the rate increased 43% among white men ages 45 to 64 and 63% for women in the same age-range. In 2014, more than 14,000 middle-aged white people killed themselves. That figure is double the combined suicides total for all blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders, American Indians, and Alaska Natives. The suicide rate only declined for only two groups: black men and all people over 75.

US suicide rate surges, particularly among white people - BBC News

US suicide rate highest in 30 years...

US suicide rate surges, particularly among white people
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 - The suicide rate in the US has surged to its highest level almost three decades, according to a new report.
The increase is particularly pronounced among middle-age white people who now account for a third of all US suicides. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report did not offer an explanation for the steep rise. However, other experts have pointed to increased abuse of prescription opiates and the financial downturn that began in 2008 as likely factors. The report did not break down the suicides by education level or income, but previous studies found rising suicide rates among white people without university degrees. "This is part of the larger emerging pattern of evidence of the links between poverty, hopelessness and health," Robert D Putnam, a professor of public policy at Harvard, told the New York Times.

_89400193_istock_000083297685_medium.jpg

Public health officials are alarmed by the steep rise suicides​

CDC reported on Friday that suicides have increased in the US to a rate of 13 per 100,000 people, the highest since 1986. Meanwhile, homicides and deaths from ailments like cancer and heart disease have declined. In the past, suicides have been most common among white people, but the recent increases have been sharp.

The overall suicide rate rose by 24% from 1999 to 2014, according to the CDC. However, the rate increased 43% among white men ages 45 to 64 and 63% for women in the same age-range. In 2014, more than 14,000 middle-aged white people killed themselves. That figure is double the combined suicides total for all blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders, American Indians, and Alaska Natives. The suicide rate only declined for only two groups: black men and all people over 75.

US suicide rate surges, particularly among white people - BBC News
Prevention, prevention, prevention.

When my dad took his life I didn't know how many times he had attempted. Usually when someone succeeds they have tried numerous times. Mental anguish is unbearable for some people. Some people aren't aided all that much by medication or therapy.
Most people are though. It just takes time to work. Part of the problem is sometimes people are to low to take action and as the meds make them better before they are out of the woods they have the energy to attempt to kill themselves.

When my dad took his life I didn't know how many times he had attempted. Usually when someone succeeds they have tried numerous times. Mental anguish is unbearable for some people. Some people aren't aided all that much by medication or therapy.
Most people are though. It just takes time to work. Part of the problem is sometimes people are to low to take action and as the meds make them better before they are out of the woods they have the energy to attempt to kill themselves.
Thats true.

Usually people who succeed in suicide have attempted many times. I didn't know of my father's suicide attempts until AFTER he succeeded.

They are selfish but it's their right. Don't feel bad for trying to help.

My neighbor just committed suicide. Blew his brains out. He had problems but not so big it's worth dying over.

We are all so lucky to have been born. What a waste.

But then if your life sucks who am I to tell you to keep living it

i lost my step dad to suicide he jumped from a bridge that i have to go over everyday ...i have felt suicidal my self some times just being there helps so much tell them they are loved helps so much just being a listening ear dont judge just be there

i wish someone helped my step dad but he was too ill to get the help he needed and now he is gone

i lost my step dad to suicide he jumped from a bridge that i have to go over everyday ...i have felt suicidal my self some times just being there helps so much tell them they are loved helps so much just being a listening ear dont judge just be there

i wish someone helped my step dad but he was too ill to get the help he needed and now he is gone
My dad talks about not wanting to be here anymore he wants to be with ma. I told him we still want him around. His grandkids want him around.

Most people are sad they only live 85 years they wish they could have 100 more so it amazes me some want to cut it short

I don't get it. What is so great about living that you want to be 100? Life sucks, always has. I stay around because I have a family that depends on my income to make ends meet. And I do love them.

Just saw this thread.

You did the right thing.

Suicide is about the most selfish thing a person can do to those around him/her.

I lost a good friend (heart trouble) about that same time (March 8, 2016). I did nothing wrong, but to this day I question EVERYTHING about the days surrounding that day. Endless "what ifs" still haunt me.

I couldn't imagine the guilt a suicide leaves family and friends. Like I said, its a very selfish act.

No they got to do it successfully or they can expect we will call 9-11. Your friend should have done a better job of it and not let someone find the.

Just recently spade and Anthony bordaine killed themselves. It’s a very selfish thing to do.

So how is your friend today 2 years later?

So how did it work out over 3 years later?

This guy I work with, his son just killed himself. 16 or 17 years old. Always happy. No signs. Great student. Everyone loved him. No girlfriend broke up with him. Tennis star. Rich dad. Went to best private school in Michigan.

The only negative is he had a crazy mom and his parents were divorced but that doesn’t seem to be why. Of course we don’t know his relationship with his mom. She may be crazy and drove him to hang himself.

What is going on? Too many murders suicides rapes and violent crimes.

Anyways, I wanted to get it off my chest and find out if you did the right thing? Is the person better now?

You did the right thing. That doesn't mean you're not wearing some toxicity. That was a horrible situation. You need to take care of yourself.

I'm on a TOTAL DOWNER, which is not me, I'm usually a positive person, but I actually feel awful.

I know I did the right thing, but the whole incident from beginning to the completely bizarre happenings at the hospital, has made me very confused about everything.
Suicide is a fucked up thing to do to your love ones.

The kid who did it recently didn’t even leave a note. The family didn’t see any signs.

That’s really fucked up. I don’t know the mother. I heard she sucked but I know the dad is a great guy and kind man. I can’t believe he did that to his father.

Suicide leaves the survivors with so many questions.

Forum List

Back