~Suicide~

I would also like to thank those who allowed this conversation to take place without making those of us who think like we do, feel ostracized. Or made fun of. Or urged to just DO IT. Or laughed at. The place I came from, this subject was taboo and it was not something anyone discussed or was allowed to discuss without much ridicule. Just knowing we can talk about it and not be picked on feels...peaceful in unpeaceful minds.

This subject is nothing to laugh at.
I agree. But it was not a subject one could discuss freely at the other place I posted at for years. One was made fun of, or urged to just do it and the person was ridiculed or called names or pics posted of poison or a bullet or whatever. It was fun time for some warped people. I had a good friend who was suffering. I didn't know. Nor did everyone else. She hung herself in her closet. Nobody laughed then. Prior to that? It was all a game.
I wasn't sure about the topic here, and did start a thread about it awhile back but I kinda fibbed and said it was a discussion I was having with someone. I was testing the waters, so to speak. But I was too afraid to say more, or be truthful. Then Dabs started this thread and maybe because Dabs is a friend did I feel comfortable enough to keep talking about it. And reading other comments as well and how the subject was received.
Who knows. Some lives maybe have been saved just by the people here reacting the way they have. Maybe not. At least we..those of us contemplating...are not alone. And nothing worse is than to feel alone and too afraid to discuss it.

Like Montrovant said..I don't plan to off myself any time soon. But I know that when the timing is right..whenever that is...I will use my option.

I'm sorry this happened to you Grace and you can always talk about anything with me, you know that~

{{{{{dabs}}}}

I know. I just don't talk about it often. But I think about it. Especially on really bad days. Doesn't mean it's time yet, though. I'm good for some more years. I ain't going anywhere while my fur children breathe. That, I promise.

A fellow corpsman (and a former SEAL) who'd been taking 50mg valium daily, ........

Holy shit.............................

Yup...and let me tell ya' he was pretty much impervious to it, too.

He also drank right along side the rest of us apparently without it having a synergistic effect you'd expect.

The man was smart as whip, and an excellent OR tech even despite that massive amount of diazapame coursing though his veins every day.

So you can kind of understand why his fellow corpsman were dubious that he accidently killed himself by nitrous oxide.

He voluntarily elected to leave the SEALS.

He never told us why except to say what he and his mates did in country wasn't pretty and apparently in his mind it wasn't honorable, either.

The guy has a lot of class, folks.

And a whole lot of integrity, too.

But I do not think he could live with himself knowing what he was really capable of.

The closest I came to suicide was when a chick came up to me once in a bar and told me she wanted to "fuck me to death". I said "O K".
:lol:

With a face like yours, can't say I blame her.

Hey, this is NOT a flirtation. I am an artist. I look at faces, bone structure, eyes (if I can see them). I like your face. So don't get all uppity thinking I'm all wet and bothered when I give an assessment. :lol:

The closest I came to suicide was when a chick came up to me once in a bar and told me she wanted to "fuck me to death". I said "O K".
:lol:

With a face like yours, can't say I blame her.

Hey, this is NOT a flirtation. I am an artist. I look at faces, bone structure, eyes (if I can see them). I like your face. So don't get all uppity thinking I'm all wet and bothered when I give an assessment. :lol:

:cool: :evil: :lol:

"Permanent solution to a temporary problem" only applies some of the time. For those with clinical, lifelong depression the above platitude doesn't ring true nor does it ring true for those suffering from terminal illnesses or persistent friendlessness.

I have permanent life long depression and I tell you now suicide is WRONG. It is never justified.

Never?
I am terminal and have extreme pain which so far I can keep in reasonable check with opiates, very large doses.

Is life worth living when ones time is proven to be short and one must endure the end in extreme agony?

Speak for yourself fella, why do you think you can speak for everyone else?
That is freedom and liberty?

When the pain becomes unmanageable I will die of an "accidental overdose" which will be much easier on all my friends and relatives than watching me suffer extreme unmanageable pain.

The ones that understand know my plans and endorse them. Some would not understand I they must be let to believe that is was accidental.

A tough row to hoe US Citizen, yet a daily affair here , were we to be truthful with ourselfs ....

Even more unfortunate is having your choice disrespected by this shallow Permanent solution to a temporary problem canard foisted via this ethical christian denial shield , lending more understanding to one's dog

were they in your shoes, i'd wager said shield might not shine as bright....

A fellow corpsman (and a former SEAL) who'd been taking 50mg valium daily, ........

He also drank right along side the rest of us apparently without it having a synergistic effect you'd expect.

The man was smart as whip, and an excellent OR tech even despite that massive amount of diazapame coursing though his veins every day.

So you can kind of understand why his fellow corpsman were dubious that he accidently killed himself by nitrous oxide.

He never told us why except to say what he and his mates did in country wasn't pretty and apparently in his mind it wasn't honorable, either.

But I do not think he could live with himself knowing what he was really capable of.

People tend to tolerate to benzos pretty quickly. They also don't seem to gork out some people, in other words, they are pretty well tolerated by some people. They get such a bad rap among the medical community (from what I see), I don't think it's really fair. Some people just don't tolerate SSRIs very well and if using a benzo as needed for them is what works, then who cares?

That being said, 15 mg of Valium a day is massive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8ez6dGao8]YouTube - ‪Michael Bublé - "Lost" Official Music Video‬‏[/ame]

It's against the law to engage in conduct designed to cause suicide but nobody has ever been prosecuted for succeeding in the attempt. People who encourage and assist in suicide attempts have been prosecuted. It's ironic that it's against the law for a pregnant woman to commit suicide but it's "legal" for the woman to kill the life within her without fear of prosecution..

Hell yeah!:clap2:

And.......if she says she wants to screw your brains out, tell her it's gonna take a while as you're a pretty smart dude.

Then tell her she's welcome to try.........

Have you ever contemplated suicide??
Have you ever tried and someone rescued you??..or maybe you decided against it at the very last moment??
Do you know anyone who has committed suicide??

My grandfather hung himself years after he came home from WWII. My aunt and uncle who found him said he was never the same when he came home. It's a shame. He was and still is loved.

Last edited:
Yes, when I was 16 and again at 19. By all accounts I shouldn't be here today, but I am. I don't care to elaborate here, but PM me if you like. At 23 I had a child which quite possibly saved my life. I am blessed to have another chance and can only strive to find my purpose. There are times when I am sad or unbelievable overwhelmed, but in this child I have found the strength to go on. The only time I seem to forget that is in moments of selfishness.

I can't think of anyone off hand that has committed suicide.

PTSD can do that to you. It's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't been through it, and sometimes even to some who have (everyone processes what he's seen and/or had to do differently).If and when the nightmares, the flashbacks and the sleeplessness catch up to you, and nothing will stop it, then suicide starts looking like an option. That's how you wind up in a room by yourself, with a bottle in one hand, and a gun in the other, deciding whether to live, or die. Been there, done that, after Vietnam. I got past that, but I had friends who weren't so lucky.

I guess, when we go to war, a lot of us bring our own little private piece of it back home with us; then, we either figure out how to live with it, or sooner or later we get destroyed by it. I don't think it's a matter of strength or weakness; just different feelings, and different ways of dealing with our own demons and ghosts. I suppose it's always been that way, and probably always will be, no matter what name we call it by; ""battle fatigue", shell shock", PTSD; the label doesn't matter. I guess for most of us, it never is really over, and never will be, and maybe, that's the way it has to be.

Forum List

Back