Suicide Squad

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014

To sum it up, "trying waaaay too hard, and sorely lacking in focus." I had reasonably high hopes for this, but it just came out badly.

5 out of 10

Will Smith and Margot Robbie were highpoints (though... if we're being honest, even they had a couple of rather clunky lines, and cringeworthy scenes), but the rest of this movie was just a mess. The plot jumped all over the place, often made little sense, and had a tendency to be wildly uneven in tone. The retro soundtrack also felt more than a bit forced, and the rest of the cast felt so neglected in comparison to Smith and Robbie that it was almost comical. Several of them (most notably Katana and the wall jumping guy, though one could also make an argument for Captain Boomerang) were almost literally dumped on the audience half-way through the film with no real fanfare or characterization whatsoever.

The villain was also lame. She looked a lot better when she was filthy and crawling around all fours. In "goddess" mode, she just looked like doofy - A slightly blueish twenty-something year old woman in a chainmail bikini, who talks in cliches with a really obviously dubbed voiced, and needlessly shakes her ass all the over the place while shooting badly CGIed "magic" out of her finger tips.

The Joker was a disappointment. Leto's interpretation of the character simply doesn't feel like it has anything in common with the Joker of previous films or the comic books. He's not frightening enough, he's not intelligent enough, he's not lucid enough, and he's not animated enough. The guy barely talks! He mostly just poses for the camera, and floats around like he's doing a bad Jack Sparrow impression while high on quaaludes. I simply don't buy that this guy could be a serious intellectual threat to Batman. He comes off more like an upjumped gangbanger who dabbles too heavily in his own supply than a criminal mastermind.

He also seems to legitimately, and rather deeply, be in love with Harley, going to almost heroic extremes to rescue her. That's so far out of line with previous characterizations of their relationship that it's not even funny.

I have to tell you, I thought it was pretty damn good. The joker was ok, nothing special, but harley, dead shot and the gang banging fire dude were pretty cool. There were definetly some plot holes (i dont want to ruin it for anyone), but pretty good nonstop action, and the characters were cool and fun. I guess part of me thought it was so good because i expectex it to crap after the bad reviews. I think it was definitely worth the movie ticket, and i may buy it when it comes out on dvd.

The plot was rushed.....there was a gap...or something between the outbreak of the problem and sending in the squad........it is hard to explain but the time frame was off.......and then the reason they were using the squad....turned out to be odd.........in the way it was handled....

I didn't mind the joker.....will smith's stupid political comments in foreign countries negatively impacted my approach to his character.....when will these mopes just shut up and act.........?

Captain Boomerang......is a silly character......boomerangs may work in the comics but when everyone else is using guns.....it brings out the silliness of boomerangs even more....

highly disappointed
Crappy editing and wayyy too many holes in the story.
VERY disappointed in jared leto. He was the worst joker ever!
Don't waste your time.

To sum it up, "trying waaaay too hard, and sorely lacking in focus." I had reasonably high hopes for this, but it just came out badly.

5 out of 10

Will Smith and Margot Robbie were highpoints (though... if we're being honest, even they had a couple of rather clunky lines, and cringeworthy scenes), but the rest of this movie was just a mess. The plot jumped all over the place, often made little sense, and had a tendency to be wildly uneven in tone. The retro soundtrack also felt more than a bit forced, and the rest of the cast felt so neglected in comparison to Smith and Robbie that it was almost comical. Several of them (most notably Katana and the wall jumping guy, though one could also make an argument for Captain Boomerang) were almost literally dumped on the audience half-way through the film with no real fanfare or characterization whatsoever.

The villain was also lame. She looked a lot better when she was filthy and crawling around all fours. In "goddess" mode, she just looked like doofy - A slightly blueish twenty-something year old woman in a chainmail bikini, who talks in cliches with a really obviously dubbed voiced, and needlessly shakes her ass all the over the place while shooting badly CGIed "magic" out of her finger tips.

The Joker was a disappointment. Leto's interpretation of the character simply doesn't feel like it has anything in common with the Joker of previous films or the comic books. He's not frightening enough, he's not intelligent enough, he's not lucid enough, and he's not animated enough. The guy barely talks! He mostly just poses for the camera, and floats around like he's doing a bad Jack Sparrow impression while high on quaaludes. I simply don't buy that this guy could be a serious intellectual threat to Batman. He comes off more like an upjumped gangbanger who dabbles too heavily in his own supply than a criminal mastermind.

He also seems to legitimately, and rather deeply, be in love with Harley, going to almost heroic extremes to rescue her. That's so far out of line with previous characterizations of their relationship that it's not even funny.

I streamlined this a few days ago. I couldn't agree more. It was a horrible movie. They wasted so much time building up the Joker that they didn't build up the characters to people we cared about. The Joker scene was god awful and Leto is a horrible Joker. What the fuck was the point of having Harley Quin escape and just return?

The flow of the movie sucked, the characters sucked (I disgree on Deadshot and Quinn, they both sucked), the story made no sense, the climax was anticlimactic. As bad as Batman vs Superman was this was 10 fold worse.

Lastly, I don't get why people say Afleck is a good Batman. I thought he flew flat in BvS and he was worse in the few scenes he had.

They need to go a different direction in DCEU and starting with the director would be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back