Suicide Bomber Kills at Least 33;Afghanistan

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Suicide Bomber Kills at Least 33 in Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan -- A suicide bomber posing as an army volunteer struck an Afghan army recruitment center in the northern Kunduz province on Monday afternoon, killing at least 33 people, Afghan officials said.

The attacker approached on foot and detonated his explosives vest among a group of army volunteers lined up outside the recruitment center, Kunduz Deputy Governor Hamdullah Danishi said.

Ambulances and private cars brought at least 42 wounded to the Kunduz Hospital, said provincial government spokesman Muhbobullah Sayedi.

"We have 33 bodies, including soldiers and civilians," said Humayun Khamush, a doctor at the hospital. Four children were also killed, he said.

Suicide Bomber Kills at Least 33 in Afghanistan - FoxNews.com

What these bombings do is terrorize the Afghan's and that is what they want to do. Just like the killing of the family in Israel.

Terrorism is the goal.

What these bombings do is terrorize the Afghan's and that is what they want to do. Just like the killing of the family in Israel.

Terrorism is the goal.

I really question why we should even be in Afghanistan anymore, I have friends over there now, what are they there for really? do the Afghans really want us there anymore?

Do you question why there is a fight for a mosque at ground zero? Run away?

Do you question why there is a fight for a mosque at ground zero? Run away?

I remember when 9/11 first happened and we went over there, we have been in Afghanistan for 10 years, and I really don't see any significant changes. We have spent alot of money, lost alot of lives. I don't think we should run away, but I don't like our boys over there fighting and dying and nothing is changing.

I agree that there needs to be a different method of fighting this terrorism and insurgency. There is the option that Biden put forwards right in the beginning of the Obama presidency.

Death from above.

I agree that there needs to be a different method of fighting this terrorism and insurgency. There is the option that Biden put forwards right in the beginning of the Obama presidency.

Death from above.

That might be a possibility, something has to change though because we have all these Soldiers over there and spending all this money and nothing is really changing, this war is becoming more and more unpopular when you hear stories like this and the Taliban know it. They have all the time in the world to stay the course and wait us out, plus Obama is even going to start withdrawing people next summer?:doubt:

Death from above.

That might be a possibility, something has to change though because we have all these Soldiers over there and spending all this money and nothing is really changing, this war is becoming more and more unpopular when you hear stories like this and the Taliban know it. They have all the time in the world to stay the course and wait us out, plus Obama is even going to start withdrawing people next summer?:doubt:

Among the alternatives being presented to Mr. Obama is Mr. Biden’s suggestion to revamp the strategy altogether. Instead of increasing troops, officials said, Mr. Biden proposed scaling back the overall American military presence. Rather than trying to protect the Afghan population from the Taliban, American forces would concentrate on strikes against Qaeda cells, primarily in Pakistan, using special forces, Predator missile attacks and other surgical tactics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/world/asia/23policy.html

Obama wants to leave the arena entirely.

Death from above.

Among the alternatives being presented to Mr. Obama is Mr. Biden’s suggestion to revamp the strategy altogether. Instead of increasing troops, officials said, Mr. Biden proposed scaling back the overall American military presence. Rather than trying to protect the Afghan population from the Taliban, American forces would concentrate on strikes against Qaeda cells, primarily in Pakistan, using special forces, Predator missile attacks and other surgical tactics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/world/asia/23policy.html

Obama wants to leave the arena entirely.

Special forces and Missile strikes might be the way to go, however I would like an Afghan Army capable of defending its people before we leave but I don't know how realistic this is.

Special forces and Missile strikes might be the way to go, however I would like an Afghan Army capable of defending its people before we leave but I don't know how realistic this is.

You've been in the arena HG. What you would like is not very possible with such heavily strengthened tribal affiliations that have been enforced by first cousin marriages that predate Islam.

Do you believe what you would like has any possibility? You don't know, but what do you believe?

You've been in the arena HG. What you would like is not very possible with such heavily strengthened tribal affiliations that have been enforced by first cousin marriages that predate Islam.

Do you believe what you would like has any possibility? You don't know, but what do you believe?

I don't think it is possible because like you said, the country of Afghanistan is very tribal and lots of them don't even like each other. There are so many different languages and cultures in Afghanistan, you can go to one part of the country where they speak Pashtun, and in the other area they speak Tajik. What I'm saying about the Afghans defending themselves would be the ideal situation for the US, but will it happen? probably not, the Taliban is too ingrained in that country and still has alot of support, we have been there 10 years and they still can't do it yet, I doubt us staying there another 10 years will get them to do it either.

however I would like an Afghan Army capable of defending its people before we leave but I don't know how realistic this is.
The Afghan Army is defending "It's" people, with the stooge Hamid Karzai installed by American oil, Meanwhile Afghan tribal leaders are in turn defending their own people against the invaders (how would you react if your country was invaded )

however I would like an Afghan Army capable of defending its people before we leave but I don't know how realistic this is.
The Afghan Army is defending "It's" people, with the stooge Hamid Karzai installed by American oil, Meanwhile Afghan tribal leaders are in turn defending their own people against the invaders (how would you react if your country was invaded )

The Afghan Army is invisible in large swaths of that country where the Taliban are in control, the Afghan Army is fractured by Tribal Alliances, the Tajiks and Hazaras hate the Pashtuns for example. Case in point the Taliban execution of a young couple who eloped to be married, that execution was carried out in broad daylight with the whole town watching, where was the Afghan Army or Police to stop this?

The Afghan Army is invisible in large swaths of that country where the Taliban are in control, the Afghan Army is fractured by Tribal Alliances, the Tajiks and Hazaras hate the Pashtuns for example. Case in point the Taliban execution of a young couple who eloped to be married, that execution was carried out in broad daylight with the whole town watching, where was the Afghan Army or Police to stop this?

defending "It's" people, the only control they have is in the capital

defending "It's" people, the only control they have is in the capital

Thats my whole point, the Afghan Army and Police are only good for defending a few token areas, even in Kabul NATO does alot of foot work.

The true question is this:

Can we teach these highly tribal people to learn to protect all of the people? These highly tribal Afghan people do not see in terms of nations. The country was a partition, created by empires because the people do not see it as a country. It's all just land to them. In the Pakistani tribal region it is exactly the same.

You have a few areas where the created cities are and which were created for the purpose of trade of which energy components will be a large group now, but were not the reason for the creation of the country. Trade routes.

It's still all about trade and the routes.

1. So, can we teach these tribes of people what nationhood means
  2. The path to Democracy and a civil society based on human rights.

I say no to both. But the routes are necessary, and the resources of the arena means that America can't step out without losing its hegemony.

That's why Afghanistan is called the "Graveyard of Empires". This is a very necessary route and has been so through the ages. Now with the advent of Afghanistan's theoretical resource holdings, there is no letting go without tossing away the entire hegemony.

Wait until 2015. I see the gear up happening in Israel. America is so large that it can hide its gearing up quite well and does so, but not so tiny Israel.

Forum List

Back