Suicide...a right or not?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by The Illusion, Jul 30, 2009.

1. The Illusion

The Illusion Energist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    There are many injustices done to the people of this supposed "free" country. Suicide should be left to the individual. I dont think the government has a right to infringe on the rights of a person to terminate their own life so long as the person that is terminating their own life isnt infringing on the rights of others or making it messy or dangerous for people nearby. I dont think the government should have the authority to step in and make the person be incarcerated due to an act that they feel they would like to commit.

Jamie

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Don't tell anyone that you feel that way. No problemo

3. The Illusion

The Illusion Energist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    This is true, but if you seek out a way to do it, attempt it, and fail....then what?

Jamie

4. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    If you want to off yourself, step off a building.

The 'government' can't stop you.

5. The Illusion

The Illusion Energist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Im not saying that "I" want to off myself. I am saying that people who do..should have every right to attempt it and succeed without fear of punishment if they fail.

Jamie

6. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    If they 'really' want to do it, its impossible to fail.

Most attempts are pleas for help.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I think people should be allowed to control their own bodies, so sure they should be allowed to, but like Xenophon says, if they really wanted to do it it shouldn't be that hard to succeed so fear of punishment (in this world) shouldn't be much of a deterrent.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Ok lets go with your exceptions shall we? A parent has responsibilities to their children, suicide would HURT their family and the loss of income and parental support would be a direct HURT to the children. Talk to people that have had a loved one commit suicide.

ANYONE that has living family will be infringing on the rights and feelings of those family members by committing suicide. No matter where they kill themselves or how, the Government will end up picking up the tab ( using our tax dollars) to clean up the mess, recover the body and investigate to ensure it was a suicide.

Suicide is a cowards way out. It is very tempting and would solve some problems for the person killing themselves while creating all kind of problems for those they leave behind.

I have had suicidal thoughts and desires my whole life. I do NOT enjoy life nor living. However I have responsibilities to self, to God, to Family. And by the way almost nothing happens to someone for attempting and failing at suicide. They go to a hospital and are evaluated before being released but no legal action is taken against them in most states.

As for failing and not wanting to succeed that is not always true. I chose to use prescription sleeping pills to kill myself the one time I actually tried. My wife called 911 and they saved me. Believe me I wanted to die.

If the ambulance had not come and they had not pumped my stomach it would have worked. The drugs would have cut off my involuntary muscle reaction to continue breathing while I was passed out.

I gave in one time in all my life and hopefully I will never be that weak again. Suicide is selfish and hurtful. It is wrong. The vast majority of people that kill themselves do so over TEMPORARY problems.

9. Gudrid

Gudrid Bilderbergs' Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93
    If we base freedoms on whether they could potentially cost money, we will have no freedoms. Everything can cost in the right situation.

Personally, I think the we are endowed by our Creator "with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." And I think the liberty to end one's own life in pursuit of happiness is a component of freedom. I hope no one chooses such an option, but I think it's everyone's right to do so.

10. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,265
    Yep.

I mean, if your going to kill yourself, what is the government going to do? Arrest your corpse?